Israel Out As Broward Count Sheriff, Blames NRA As Per Usual

Pretty pathetic response by the armed SRO, Sheriff’s Deputies and Capt. Notably, several unarmed monitors ran to the sound of the gun and were killed.

One measure that schools absolutely must take is allowing those adults on campuses who desire it and get a CCW to be armed. No, not every armed coach, teacher, or admin will respond effectively. But if even one of those monitors who did respond had been armed, or the teacher trapped in the hall with his class, the killing might have ended sooner. No guarantees, but the kids chances go WAY up if there is just one armed adult who responds. If there are a dozen then deterrence and response effectiveness probability go up much more.

Nothing can possibly be as effective as multiple armed adults who can respond right now, and who know the kids, who belongs, who is likely trouble.

I see millions of dollars lavished on new school buildings and administration campuses to be start of the art in curb appeal. If they don’t incorporate hardened rooms, alarm systems, real time cctv, electronic door lock systems then they don’t a rat’s ass about the kids. Their bleating otherwise to the contrary.

I see millions of dollars lavished on new school buildings and administration campuses to be start of the art in curb appeal. If they don’t incorporate hardened rooms, alarm systems, real time cctv, electronic door lock systems then they don’t a rat’s ass about the kids. Their bleating otherwise to the contrary.

These are still only band-aids and not the solutions to the disease.

It’s pretty difficult to get into the teacher’s lounge in a lot of schools.
I can’t easily get into many of the rooms and it passages at Kaiser Permanente.
Dang if I can get into the pharmacy at the local grocery store. Some late night gas station attendants are sitting behind security doors and bulletproof glass. A school can be made more secure. Can spend a little less on staff luncheons as a start.

These are still only band-aids and not the solutions to the disease.

We won’t get rid of crazy. We already have laws for involuntary admittance to psych care but rarely used. So I don’t see much probable opportunity on prevention by controlling the future killer. The main opportunity for prevention seems to be limiting access and hardening infrastructure. The first step in mitigation of the risk of a shooter is having as many armed adults as want to be (which is very low cost if kept to individual choice not mandatory). I don’t think it will ever be feasible to have enough armed paid officer to make much difference, just too costly across all schools.

Shooters attack schools partly because they are gun free and even the armed SRO is a known joke. And the schools have very little security infrastructure. Most corporate campuses have card key access, some even have turnstiles to prevent tailgating through doors. Live monitored cctv, radio equipped unarmed security (comms is their main duty). Most of the later shootings have been former students or others that are not currently enrolled. First line of prevention has got to be to keep out the 300 million that DON’T belong. Then you work on infrastructure to prevent or mitigate if one of the 3,000 goes haywire: gun sensors, auto locking doors and alarms, hardening rooms/corners, live cctv, etc. Not rocket science, thousands of companies did most of these things decades ago. The school did have identified “monitors” but appear not to have been trained as responders, if even just to sound the alert, direct students, have universal keys, etc. training, training, training.

Perhaps there could be a case made for smaller schools. With 3,000 students there is a degree of anonymity and just a lot of campus to protect. A 500 student school may be much less likely to be targeted and much easier to control/monitor outsiders. May seem expensive but compared to securing a huge campus maybe the overall cost is not so bad.

"Does that mean now that any time an officer is assigned a detail that involves children around the country, are they now caretakers?" Bell asked. "I worry about future officers, not just Scot Peterson, being charged by overzealous prosecutors with child neglect when we’re not caretakers."

I'm not sure how this case jibes with precedents like Castle Rock and Warren v. DC. The courts have ruled the police may have a moral duty to protect, but not a legal one. I take a very dim view of Deputy Peterson's (in)actions, but I'm not sure these charges can stick.

May Officer Peterson rot in hell. But I think the charges are a smokescreen to protect Sheriff Israel [spit] and the school superintendent (Runcie?) from corruption charges. Throw a peon to the wolves to protect the executives.

Since this thread is still open, I'll take this opportunity to add a link to an article covering the State of Florida's in-depth investigation of the incident. Summary of the summary: there's plenty of blame to go around, but most of it seems to land at the feet of the school itself, and the Broward County Sheriff's Office.

https://projects.sun-sentinel.com/20...stitial-manual

As it should and as was stated back when this thread was fresh - nice to see those who are to blame being called out.

The good news about all of this is that the Federal Government, State of Florida, Broward County, the Sheriff, the school district, the school and the students have largely failed to remedy these issues. The rhetoric is about arming teachers and others. Not really needed if what we already new had been implemented. Arming students. Not really a good idea without training.

Following the incident there were many things that should have been done and still are not. Banning guns is not the solution. Eliminating defective policies and personnel is a good idea.

Glenn E. Meyer said:
There's a nuance in Warren about having a defined special relationship that may indicate that you must act. That's to be debated.
I think that's the key.

In Warren the victims were in an apartment, they called the police, and the police didn't come. The court ruled that the victims didn't have a claim against the police because there was no "special relationship."

I would argue that in Peterson's case, there was a special relationship. He wasn't a cop on a beat somewhere. He was specifically assigned and paid to provide security at that school, and nowhere else. Further, he DID respond ... and then failed to take action. I think that's why there are only 7 counts of negligence instead of 34 or 17 (there were 17 people killed in total, and 17 more wounded). I think the charges reasonably take into account the time it took for him to get from wherever he was to building 12. But, once he got to building 12, he stayed outside. The argument behind the charges is that, if he had taken assertive action when he arrived on the scene, the people on the third floor could have been saved. The seven counts relate to the people on the third floor. (Although the prosecutor's math is off because, according to the article, there were six people killed and two people wounded on the third floor. That's eight, not seven.)

Back