Is your .40 Glock ready to blow up????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebob

I keep seeing this common thread lately that Glocks of the .40 persuasion have a "unsupported" chamber and that they will blow up at any moment.
Does this mean I should throw my G-27 away and warn all those police agencies of the danger they are in??
How can Glock get away with selling them when they blow up so much?? Or is this really alot of hooey retold by goobers shooting the wrong ammo in a Glock???
What do you think??

Sounds like a bunch of "Goober shooters" as you called them. There have been rumors, but I can't imagine Glock letting nearly half of the police agencies in the US use defective guns.

The Forty is good if you got the $$$
Ben

In almost all cases of Glock kB stories, the culprit has been reloads. I have heard a story told of a kB occuring with a factory load, but have never seen any evidence of said story. I think the stories are the result of careless reloads. JMHO. YMMV.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I imagine the FBI, Illinois State Police, and all the others who have switched to Glock 40s must have heard the stories too don't ya think? Don't seem to be worried about it. Me neither.

It happens. It happens with factory ammo too. Fed 155 HS did it, and not just in Glocks (Federal changed the cases BTW). The local Sheriff's dept blew up a G22 with Rem UMC 165 ammo.

They still don't worry about it. I still don't worry about it.

------------------
>>>>---->

There are 4 potential culprits in addition to the obvious one of overloaded cartridges. The infamous unsupported chamber (any Glock .45, 10mm and .40), lead bullets as opposed to jacketed, a particular reload powder called AA#5 and the fact that the gun will fire when not in battery. A lot of people say that the problem is over-exaggerated, to which all I can say is that you hear more and more tales of range kb's (with the .40 in particular) and for every one that gets reported on forums like this or in the gun press there must surely be a lot that never get further than a Glock gunsmiths repair bench. If the .40's will Kb with a tame range load like UMC 165gr then surely something must be going wrong, even junk guns like Lorcins or Hi-Points don't have a reputation for exploding like that. I suspect that Glock are working on redesigning the chamber and feed ramp as we speak, I for one will wait and see before buying one.

------------------
Mike H

1911s have gotten by with unsupported chambers for nearly 90 years, so the secret is don't shoot 180gr. reloads, and make sure all .40 loads are seated to right depth and not too deep. It is the .40s failing that the small case (.45wise) and big bullets make pressures too great in some cases.

Glock went with the unsupported chamber as these feed best, so I doubt they'd change it, esp. at the expense of reliability. The NO RELOAD disclaimer is there for a reason: people who don't know what they're doing.

Unsupported chamber...

Firing out of battery...

Really?

These sound like real design flaws that could land Glock in a mountain of lawsuits.

If it's true...

Most all pistols have chambers that are unsupported to some degree. The Glock just has more of the case being unsupported compared to other guns. This, however, does lead to better reliability. I have also heard of Glocks being able to fire out of battery. There were some accounts by different people saying that their kb's were due to the gun being out of battery when fired. I have yet to hear anyone refute the claim that Glocks can fire out of battery, and that most people's fix for the problem is to run all their ammo through a chamber gage.

[This message has been edited by jason h (edited October 05, 1999).]

I don't know if there have been any actual problems, but in response to a question, I have experimented with .40 pistol (S&W Sigma, not Glock) and was able load a mag with a 9mm on top. I racked the slide, placing the 9mm in the chamber, where it disappeared. The gun clicked. Then I (acting as Joe Shooter) said to myself "I didn't load a round" and racked the slide again, placing a .40 round behind the 9mm.

Needless to say, I did NOT fire the gun. But this proved to me that the combination could cause a problem.

Jim

I want to know more about the Glock "being able to fire out of battery".
I have seen no evidence of this, and cannot duplicate any such thing on my gun.

Also, some of the problems with the Glock are attributed to it's legendary toughness. People tend not to clean them for long periods of time which could cause serious malfunctions. I know MANY people that do not clean their Glocks for years at a time.
On top of that, people reload hot loads for their Glocks because they are, once again, "tough guns" and rated to handle high-pressure rounds.
Lastly, almost every case has involved a reload. The factory Federal case blew up other guns as well and was a *case failure* from defective factory ammo. Most of that number (of reloaded guns blowing up) are using lead bullets, which specifically is NOT to be used in polygonally rifled barrels.

I would imagine that the whole thing is rather overblown (no pun intended ;) ).
With two million of them in circulation, your odds of having one, even if you treat your gun poorly, and reload hot loads in old brass, have to be much less than 1/100,000.
I still don't even know (and no one else here does either) just how many of them have really happened and how many are just rumors growing wild. Even in complete reports by people that follow these cases for a living, I have only seen a handful of cases, and almost all of those were reloaded .40.
People that disliked Glocks before, now just have an excuse to like them less, and that internet panic causes the myths to grow to larger proportions than they are. No one here has pointed to ANY proven cases yet, let alone "many" of them.

Until I see proof, I only believe in the few cases I have seen reports on, almost all with reloads, and mostly with .40, with a few exceptions. Anything beyond that is hyperbole and equivalent to an internet myth.
It is easy to see how peopl are screwing up with reloading the .40 since the .40 is a high-presure round that is loaded to capacity: one little mistake with either too much charge, too tight a crimp, the wrong seating depth, and...kB! (In any gun). The .40 is a round that is loaded to the max in every regard and should be reloaded very carefully.

Lastly, I am relatively new to guns in the grand scheme of things, but there is nothing unique to the Glock that is not found in parts on other guns. The unsupported chamber is there on the 1911, which has been used for almost a century. So, how can the .45 Glock blow up and not the .45 1911? I would have to attribute that to people using lead reloads that work in the 1911 rifling but does not work in the Glock's polygonal rifling. Either that, or as said above, people thing that Glocks are tougher, so they reload hotter.
Because of my inexperience, I don't KNOW how many other guns kB'd before the Glock came along, but I can't believe that the Glock is the first gun to blow up when it is used to shoot hot loads with old brass.
I am sure that guns past have blown up too when shot with hot reloads from poor reloaders, and to top that off, the polygonal rifleing is a bit unique to such a *popular* line of guns, and the lead issue could play a large part of it.

To me it is pretty simple:

1) Don't shoot lead.
2) If you are going to reload .40, be careful and/or load it light.
3) Don't reload hot loads in old brass.

Gee, it sounds like if you FOLLOW THE MANUAL that comes with the gun, then you will not have any problems.

As it is, if you eliminate people that insist on shooting their own crappy, hot reloads, your odds of getting a kB are literally about one in a million.

Oh yes, and I need to add that in all the cases, no one has been seriously injured. In fact, the worst injury I have heard of is a cut finger. The polymer frame of the Glock absorbs the kB, unlike the 1911's I have heard of that grenade shrapnel all over the place, causing serious injury in some cases. So, you can feel safe that if you are the one-in-a-million person that has a Glock kB that is no fault of your own, then you know that at least that you will not be injured.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 05, 1999).]

The problem I've heard about .40 Glocks going kB is that the .40 is basically a 9mm Glock with the barrel over-bored to .40. Since the barrel has been thinned it has the potential to be a little more sensitive towards hot reloads, bullet types, etc. YMMV.

hawkgt

Jason H and others:

The sad thing about this Glock kB! topic is that there appears to be no agreed upon definition of "out of battery."

If OOB means with the slide anywhere but absolutely fully forward, then yes, Glocks and many other guns can fire slightly out of battery--1/2 millimeter back from fully forward, sometimes even 1 or 2 full millimeters.

If OOB means unlocked, as in the engagement surfaces of barrel block or locking lugs are no longer stopping rearward motion of the slide, then no gun I know of can fire out of battery. The hammer-fired ones will have the hammer hit the bottom of the slide first, etc.

What I do know from placing a pencil in the bore and watching how far back the slide can be before the pencil fails to get kicked up by the firing pin:

A Glock will bounce the pencil just as far up when the barrel/slide are only halfway locked up. A SIG P-series will have all trigger action disconnected before the locking surfaces even begin to move out of engagement. The SIG slide moves about three times as far back before unlocking begins, as does the Glock slide.

I believe that Glock needs to design more rearward motion into the barrel/slide assembly before the locking surfaces begin to disengage. However, I do not have the firing sequence time chart (firing pin forward at X milliseconds, bullet starts moving at Y milliseconds, bullet clears barrel at Z and slide ceases rearward at Z+A milliseconds) to really know if this is sound theory or my own crock.

I have it on reliably authority that the distance between the "flats" in a Glock barrel is actually smaller than the nominal bore size (over the lands, not in the grooves) of other barrels.

Lead bullets should not be loaded to Major power factor in a Glock using fast powders like WW231. Especially 180s. One's reloading technique should be designed to make all double-charges detectable.

The 40S&W cartridge is one you need to be REAL careful with if you are a reloader. Watch those OAL's. Just about all Glock Kb's are related to reloading screw ups.

Try the Bernalillo County Sheriff's (NM) or the Amarillo PD (TX) if ya want info about kBs with factory ammo in 40/45 Glocks.

Can happen with any gun when bad ammo gets in it. Glocks, cuzz of less support and thinner chambers, will blow a case and/or rupture the barrel before a SIG/USP barrel.

If it's enough for you to worry about is the question?

Sooner or later a Glock 40/45 will go kB instead of bang during a gunfight (any 40/45 can, Glocks more likely for the above reasons, and there are more of them out there)?

If that doesn't bother you, keep on trucking. If it does, why wait?

------------------
>>>>---->

One in a million? Sounds good, but it aint.

Waaaaaay too many!

If your agency has 2k officers that fire 2 million rounds a year, that would be 2 kBs a year.

Don't think anybody would stand for that for long?

So I suspect it's much higher than that, since Glock 40s seem to be the bestest for the mostest. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

I've shot LRN in 9MM and .45ACP through my Glocks and I've yet to have 1 blow up. In 9MM, I've shot over 20K of assorted 9MM LRN/TMJ/JHP in 115/124/147grain, both reloads and factory ammo. As long as the gun is kept clean and the quality of the ammo is reasonable, it should be OK.

BTW, I had to send my 9MM Glock 2 factory twice this year --- they replaced the recoil rod, magazine tube, ejector/extractor, and couple of other small parts. But I expect this to be part of normal wear process.

I've also shot variety of factory and reloads through my G22/G23 and have had no problem so far.

Shutoku

P.S. BTW, other guns can blow up, or more accurately, any gun can blow up. When I used to work at a commercial range, we had Beretta, SIG, etc. blow up. I've seen lot of small parts breakage in Beretta and cracked frame in various SIG. The most durable guns were Glock and all steel guns such as 1911A1, Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75b, etc.

[This message has been edited by Shutoku Shia (edited October 11, 1999).]

When the "bad" Federal 155 HS ammo was kBing in 40s, the SIGs and USP blew cases, the Glocks blew cases, ruptured barrels, cracked sides and frames.

Some bad Rem 165 UMC blew cases in USPs here, the Glock ruptured the barrel, cracked the slide and frame.

My grandfather smoked like a chimney for over 90 years. My uncle didn't make it to 50.

I don't smoke, bit I do shoot a Glock 40. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Let's try and summarise this. Kb's in Glock 9mm's are almost unheard of, that was what the gun was designed for and what it unquestionably shoots best. The problem arose because Glock had to alter the design to suit .40, 10mm and .45 cartridges. These had more pressure and were (and are) being stuffed into chambers that give less support. If everything is just perfect with the round, then everything is fine, but these higher powered Glocks have very little leeway with out of spec ammo, and like it or like it not, every once in a while you WILL chamber an out of spec shell in your gun whether it's factory ammo or a reload, and that's when your Glock COULD Kb. My attitude is this, glock 17 or 19 is as good a 9mm as money can buy, they are excellent guns. But if I want more power I shoot a Sig or a S&W or a Colt or a Ruger or a Beretta or a Walther P99 .40 or a Taurus or any one of a hundred other types, why develop a flinch shooting a gun you have doubts about ?

------------------
Mike H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back