Is waterboarding torture?

Is water boarding torture and do you condone its use?

• Yes, water boarding is torture and I condone its use.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • No, water boarding isnt torture and I condone its use.

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • Yes, water boarding is torture and I do not condone its use.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • No water boarding isnt torture and I do not condone its use.

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Creature

In the shadow of another thread regarding Hitchens waterboarding, I think I need a fix on where we as a forum stand on water boarding.

Do we view water boarding as torture and do we condone and support the use of water boarding in our national interest?"

Show of hands...

Yes, I think it is torture.

No, I don't think our government should officially condone its use. It will end up being used by our enemies to justify torture of our soldiers.

As you said in your OP it is being discussed at great length in another thread right now. I don't see any significant difference about this one except the poll.

Are we doing 'the truth by popular vote' thingy? If so can we limit it to those with first hand knowledge vs. speculation?

What he said.

If it was your son or daughter captured by the enemy, would you say that it's fair?

"But they wouldn't hesitate to do that to us, and worse."

It doesn't matter. This is America, home of the moral high ground. We will kill everyone who would do us harm, raze their cities to the ground, but dammit, we'll do it with honor.

Do some things slip through the cracks? Of course. But as a matter of policy, we must hold that precious high ground.

As you said in your OP it is being discussed at great length in another thread right now. I don't see any significant difference about this one.

simply a numbers thing. I am well aware it is the same, but this poll is an easier way for me to get a fix on how people feel about this subject.

If it was your son or daughter captured by the enemy, would you say that it's fair?
If my son or daughter were engaged in intellegece or terrorist activities in another country I and they should expect harsh interrogation and if they were only subjected to waterboarding they would be just fine at the end of the day.

Are we doing 'the truth by popular vote' thingy? If so can we limit it to those with first hand knowledge vs. speculation?

Do you have first hand knowledge of this subject?

This poll is simply a poll. You either agree with waterboarding or you dont.

............are you done trying to be clever?

It seems this thread is even starting the same as the other one.

I stayed out of the other thread but thought'd I'd put my $.02 in on the poll.

I've had it done in training.....YES, is it torture and NO, I do not condone it.

Its a big no no for me. We executing dozens of Japanese for using it in WW2 because it was considered so heinous. Just because our enemies might do something doesn't justify us doing it. What next? Justifying mass murder of civilians because an enemy may do so?

All the torture does is make you say what you want them to say. Thats howcome we had 200,000 confess to being werewolves and burnt at the stake and millions more executed for confessing under torture to just about any crime. There is no proof that it ever gets reliable information on time that is useful and other legal methods are far more effective and efficient at gaining information.

"There is no proof that it ever gets reliable information on time that is useful and other legal methods are far more effective and efficient at gaining information."

That's not entirely true--there has been at least one verified case where water boarding HAS uncovered a terrorist attack and saved lives.
Generally speaking, I am not for it BUT I think that there are some VERY limited circumstances where it MAY be justified.

Dipper

Back