Is this safe to reload?

Email them that picture and ask them if the cartridges are defective or if this is normal and it is safe to fire. I have never seen new brass look like that. IF it is safe to fire THEN I would inspect it for cracks afterwards. Personally I will NOT knowingly reload any casing with mouth splits.
... Starline is a good brand ... the striations look superficial ... my first reloadings of these cases would be modestly powered loads

I would not shoot something like that unless my life depended on it and I had nothing to loose.

I hope to never to wind up in their neighborhood!

Lapua and Peterson are also very good brass mfgs. PPU ain't bad and others decent. None of them sends cases out looking like that if they load their own brass as well (Remington, Winchester etc)

A respected name in Aerospace has doors falling off passenger planes.

Just an aside, it would be best to call Boeing formally respected, this is the 2nd time a MAX has exhibited bizarre behavior, the other time they had two crashes. The 787 line has repeated failures and was shut down for 2 years over failure to fit the parts together right. The 777X has been on hold for years. There is a reason they are 50 billion in debt!

Assuming being rolled in like a wide cannelure is the cause of those grooves, the brass may actually be hardened in them and hold together OK. If they survive firing without splitting, load them and see what pops.

Back