Is This Really A COLT Walker?

Yes, thank you Fingers McGee, it has been verified by two sources and I’ll use the info provided by Hawg to start the process through Colt.

I would like to ask you a little more about the box though. As you described earlier maybe I would know what I was looking at if I ever did run across one. I may have actually seen one in a gun shop many years ago. It had dividers similar to the box I received with this gun and also contained a powder flask and a round ball mold, not sure if there should be anything else or not. Thought you might be able to advise.

Will no doubt leave this to one of the grandkids and would like to make it complete if reasonably possible.

Colt charges $75 to letter their reproduction (2nd gen) black powder revolvers. A lot better than the $300 to letter an original from the 19th Century.

I would like to ask you a little more about the box though. As you described earlier maybe I would know what I was looking at if I ever did run across one. I may have actually seen one in a gun shop many years ago. It had dividers similar to the box I received with this gun and also contained a powder flask and a round ball mold, not sure if there should be anything else or not. Thought you might be able to advise.

By box, I think you mean a presentation case similar to the one your Walker came in; but one that was produced by Colt. Unfortunately, Colt did not make a 2nd Generation presentation case for the Walker, and some of the accessories that were made are so rare as to be cost prohibitive. (flask listed at $150, bullet mold $2,150; and nipple wrench/screwdriver at $200-$250. Your best bet would be to obtain a Signature Series Presentation case & either Sig Series accessories or after market accessories. Signature series stuff shows up on GunBroker from time to time. or you could get an aftermarket case from Dixie Gunworks or EMF

The box I referenced earlier was the original packaging box which was black with gold lettering and foam rubber inserts.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of Walker case I got from Dixie years ago. They don't list it on their website now; but they do show up from time to time and Dixie is always changing their product line. You might try calling them.

Walker.jpg

That hammer screw was buggered when tightening it, which indicates there might be something wrong internally. Also the top backstrap screw is not in all the way, so same thing. I hope you have no trouble in removing the hammer screw to replace it.

Jim

That hammer screw was buggered when tightening it, which indicates there might be something wrong internally.

They could have tried to really torque it down because it had a habit of backing out.

That is a nice presentation Fingers, maybe something I can do utilizing aftermarket or import mold, flash and stuff. Did a little searching on gunbroker & eBuy last night and the stuff I found was as stated, very pricy. My pockets aren’t that deep but can make a show of it close to original. Also took a peak at Dixie and they have some nice looking items currently, looks like a nice presentation box might run around $250.00 without contents so by the time I’m done this will run high for a poor ole country boy. If I don’t get anything done by spring shoot I’ll talk to the staff from Dixie at Friendship. Seems like they don’t bring much with them anymore but it’s always nice to check out the new catalog and get some inside guidance on inventory, best way to outfit with a budget for a project and so on.

James, I’m waiting to get the new trigger screw before I even attempt backing that one out guys. I do have a few decent basic gun smithing tools like screwdriver set and such but this looks like it will be tricky and before I bugger things any further I’ll take it to a gunsmith for help. Don’t want to make things any worse. May have him putt the grips and check the spring while at it, add some Locktite to a few screws and set them good so there won’t be anything backing out and getting lost. Good suggestion Hawg.

I called Colt today and they verified everything in their file, said it was made 1979 and will have me a letter in about 3 months. Appreciate the suggestion and the kids will come to appreciate it, if the 4 of them can share their toys once I’m gone. Sure glad I wont have to choose who gets what. And even before you suggest it, no I can’t afford 4 sets, but I will get them all started on muzzle loading before I go.

Back