Is This Really A COLT Walker?

smoke pole

Inactive
Last weekend went to the Indy 1500 gun show, I try to get up there at least once a year. Last time there I met a seasoned black powder gun dealer out of Hodgenville, Kentucky. I dreamed about that Colt display he had at his booth for months before finally getting back, hoping all along he would still have that (a) new Walker. I took along a Armi import Walker and a Ruger Old Army (less factory wood) in hopes of making a deal.

Mr. Chada had a Walker in stock and I listened carefully as he told me the story, which went like this. New in the box (:mad:), 2nd generation. As he explained there had been three releases of this model by Colt over the years; the original 1st generation of course, then many years later another release with serial numbers picking up where 1st Generation left off, then a third generation released years after that. I didn’t ask about serial numbers, how many made each generation and other details - or just didn’t hear him. Just new I wanted the oldest shooter I could find and the only other offerings would have been a Dragoon. FYI, the asking price was $850.00

We kicked and pulled a bit, had a good time visiting- and he took my trades and a couple hundred cash. I left with the gun and the appropriate Texas style (designed) flask made to go with that gun. Couldn’t wait to get home, put on my glasses (the VA says I don’t need), tear it down and go over it with a silicone rag.

So I’m posting some pics to show off my new toy :) and invite input, opinions as to authenticity, condition etc.

P.S. I have several more pics - the actual gun instead of the box but do not see how to post more than 3 jpgs to the posting, please advise...

Attachments

• box cover.JPG
    box cover.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 150
  • inside box.JPG
    inside box.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 141
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Another pic of the Walker.

Attachments

• cylendar.jpg
    cylendar.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 99
  • US 1847.jpg
    US 1847.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 104
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
It’s on the top strap/rib or on cylinder. I have more pics, just can’t seem to post more than three jpgs. Trying to attach with this comment but can not, checking file size.

*Colt’s patient appears on cylinder but not on frame.
** Top of BBL says “ADDRESS. SAM L COLT NEW-YORK"

Attachments

• top bbl.jpg
    top bbl.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 85
  • cylinder engraving.jpg
    cylinder engraving.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
What I though, but is used. Hoping that will prove out to be the reason, and still could be a bargain - or not.

Last edited:
F series 2nd Generation Walkers were made from 1980-1982. Serial number range was 1200 to 3772. There were also 245 5 digit serial numberd Walkers made during the same period (don't ask me why). Only the 5 digit serial numbered Walkers had Colt's Patent on the left side of the frame. 2nd Gen collectors guide from 2011 lists the Walker value at 100% condition as $950 and 98% at $750 - the 2015 book isn't out yet (AFAIK) so I'm not sure how much things have appreciated. Don't know the condition of the pistols you traded; but, from your pictures, I'd say you didn't do too bad.

Oh, yeah, it's a 2nd Gen. The case is some aftermarket Walker commemorative thing that has no connection to Colt and really isn't worth much. The correct box would be a black & gold box with gold label on the end flap and foam rubber inserts.

Last edited:
Thanks Fingers. Wish it had been a little better shape but biggest issue is the trigger screw really buggered up. Numrich had them listed and hope this will be sufficient since not able to get original screw from Colt apparently. It is a nice piece and I’m gonna enjoy shooting it - if it ever warms up again.

Hope to meet you at the spring shoot. Have enjoyed Friendship since the 70’s.

Attachments

• bad-screw.jpg
    bad-screw.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Yeah, that screw is really, truly screwed.
Some can be saved, but not that one.
Enjoy your new treasure.
You will definitely need a pair of suspenders wearing it, though.

smoke pole, A Uberti Walker screw from VTI Gunparts or Taylor's should fill the bill nicely. I've found that Uberti parts work well on 2nd Gens.

Got the suspenders, and a stiff belt but not the holster - yet. Want to find a HEAVY duty job, western type without the flap.

So how many out there think these were made by Uberti (cylinder still from Ormsby?) for Colt since Eli Whitney is no longer in business?

The second gens were made by Colt from castings bought from Uberti. Colt warranted them and will letter them unlike the 3rd gens.

Thanks for the info and help from all.

Sounds like maybe it is a REAL Colt and not just another import knock-off. Maybe I’ll see about getting the “letter”, anyone experienced this process?

Back