Is This Normal???

Thanks Jim. I went for the second time in one week & put another 100 rounds through my 686+. It shoots dead on straight, so the little indentation at the base of the front part of the barrel has no effect on my accuracy.

IF SOME BODY WOULD ALLOW ME TO EMAIL THEM A PIC OF THE BARREL, everyone could see what I'm posting about.
Doc why not post a picture here? Do you know how? We can help it's not hard.

It's shooting well for you Doc...I'd keep it the way it is, rather than send it to Smith, even if they offer to do it on their dime. I'm willing to overlook a lot if a guns shoots well.

That said, if you do elect to send it back, I'd be willing to bet that Smith will do a trigger and action job on it, gratis. The two that I've sent back (in more than 50 years of shooting S&W's) came back far better in that regard. And S&W sent me shipping labels and did the work gratis...one was 25 years old at the time! Rod

I spoke to S&W tech support today and sent them a pic of the irregularity of the opening of the barrel. The tech person got my pic & explained that it was okay. He asked if I had fired the revolver & I replied that I've put approx 325 rounds thru it with no problems. He replied good & enjoy the 686. I'm pretty sure that I could have pushed them & could have had it sent to them on their dollar.

What would you have done?

I spoke to S&W tech support today and sent them a pic of the irregularity of the opening of the barrel. The tech person got my pic & explained that it was okay. He asked if I had fired the revolver & I replied that I've put approx 325 rounds thru it with no problems. He replied good & enjoy the 686. I'm pretty sure that I could have pushed them & could have had it sent to them on their dollar.

What would you have done?

Leave well enough alone!
Like the tech said "enjoy the 686"...........If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:D

Remember that S&W (unlike most other makers), uses 5 groove rifling. The uneven count causes the rifling to look "off" when viewed from the muzzle end under some conditions. It also confuses folks who try to measure barrel inside diameter.

Jim

Back