Is This Normal???

I was cleaning my new 686plus 3" in 357 magnum & looked at the front end of the barrel. Maybe I'm not seeing correctly but the front of the barrel is off round
with the bottom slightly indented. Is this normal??
I shot 150 rounds thru it and nailed my target in very vey nice groups. What gives?

It's the rifling, probably with a groove
at the bottom giving the flat look.
Usually the crowning operation makes
the lands and grooves less obvious.

Or maybe not! ;)

I just took a look at the muzzle end of my very unloaded, and with the cylinder opened 686plus 4 inch. Doc what you are seeing is normal. The inside of the bore is round. The geometry can look off from most angles. It is where the rifling was cut into the bore. Since it is not a crowned bore it is more noticeable. It will not have any negative effect on the accuracy of the gun. If it bothers you have a crowning job done by decent smith.

Is This Normal???

Doc, this should not be the norm, but sadly with Smith and Wesson's lowered Q.C. standards the condition you've described is not abnormal. If it really bothers you contact S&W customer service, they may have you send it to them and they may correct the problem.

Merry Christmas all.

Last edited:
Doc, this should not be the norm, but sadly with Smith and Wesson's lowered Q.C. standards the condition you've described is not abnormal. If it really bothers you contact S&W customer service, they may have you send it to them and they may correct the problem.

Merry Christmas all.

Not abnormal? Sooooo, in other words, normal?:rolleyes:

What the OP is seeing may or may not be an imperfect crown, but his assertion of it's accuracy does not indicate a problem. If there's a problem it's probably better defined by someone who's actually looks at the gun, than some random internet guy looking for a reason to bash it.

The gun shoots good. Shoot it and enjoy. It's an optical delusion or it doesn't matter. New S&W guns ain't necessarily pretty, be happy you got one that works.

I believe the 686 (or st least some of them) have sleeved barrels. The way the barrel is installed in the sleeve can give the appearance of an off-center bore, but it is actually OK.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I went for the second time in one week & put another 100 rounds through my 686+. It shoots dead on straight, so the little indentation at the base of the front part of the barrel has no effect on my accuracy.

IF SOME BODY WOULD ALLOW ME TO EMAIL THEM A PIC OF THE BARREL, everyone could see what I'm posting about.

Back