Is this normal?

dakota.potts

I just went on my first hunt and it was generally an awesome experience for me. I'll make another thread on it to keep the two topics separate here.

It was a hog hunt on private land. I paid the owner to take me out and he guaranteed a hog plus processing for a fairly reasonable fee. Maybe not the way I'd do it again (especially with dogs involved) but I wanted someone with experience to help make sure it was good for me and humane for the animal.

I spent weeks researching guns, bullets, etc. I spent close to $150 on supplies. I bought a scope for my AR-15 (which I deemed my most accurate, and therefore most humane firearm). I worried for a long time over bullet weight, construction, etc. I shot well over 100 rounds from different positions a couple days ago in preparation.

So today I go out and we see a small sow. She's probably 30-35 yards away. She was facing me head on and the guide told me to go ahead and take her. I held it right between her eyes and it went just a little low (which I should have figured at that distance) and best we can figure, went through the nose into the brain and exited the top of the skull near the rear. It was less than 45 seconds to get there, and she was still kicking, but probably all nerves firing. About as close to a perfect shot as I think I could have possibly asked for.

The rush and emotions I felt when pulling the trigger would probably be impossible to describe. I remember flicking the safety off and the way the crosshairs moved. I remember feeling the trigger stage in small detail that I had never noticed before. I don't remember feeling the rifle move at all, which is strange because even though it's a small round, it has a distinctive springy kind of recoil that I'm used to feeling. I remember seeing with hyper clarity the gases exiting the barrel while looking through the scope, as well as the bullet hitting, the pig dropping, and the herd scattering. I've never felt such a rush of adrenaline, pride, happiness, and generally awesome emotions as seeing that I made the single clean shot I had been preparing for for weeks. It was the kind of adrenaline where you just laugh and laugh to yourself because you can't do anything else.

But laying in bed before a nap, maybe 7 hours post hunt, with the meat in a freezer and the hide in another freezer waiting for me to tan it, I started to feel something else. Guilt. Anxiety. Greed. I know all the reasons I wanted to hunt. I know it's ethical. I know I took about the cleanest kill I could possibly have taken, and I know I'm using every bit of the animal I possibly could (including leather for crafting and some of the bones). I know that I eat a lot of meat, and there's no way I can oversee the ethical treatment of the animal the same way I can when I take it myself.

I had always had respect for the animal and in my research I came to appreciate them. I don't think they're hideous beasts. I think they're animals living on instinct like any other and they actually remind me of my dogs in a way. That I would have these feelings, I accepted as a condition of an ethical hunter. What I didn't expect was these deep remorseful feelings to come. I expected to maybe deal with them when I shot the animal and then get better later, not the opposite.

I know there are lots of people here who have been hunting their whole lives. Some people maybe don't give it a second thought. But I'm wondering who's gone through a similar thing before and what they'd have to say about it, if anything.

it is perfectly normal. different hunters feel it at different times with different kills, some never do, or at least won't admit to it. I usually feel a bit guilty or sad when I first walk up on it, or start to field dress it. I usually don't get guilty about shooting varmints or other small animals but with deer I usually feel just a little sad, almost like having to put down someone else's pet. elk I'm usually so grumpy about being led all over the country side after them and then having to pack them out the guilt is usually replaced with irritability. it's just part of hunting. it never really stops happening when you harvest, but for me at least, it goes away pretty quickly.

Killing your first big game animal is humbling and its good to reflect on it. I always thank my kill. Some people are more numb to it than others. I think it is good to be conscious of what it means to take the animals life.

Congrats on your first, and successful hunt! You should take pride in the way you prepared for, and handled it. My first hunt (deer) didn't go nearly as smoothly as yours. Some here may remember my story. I made some mistakes, but thankfully, have learned from them and become a much better, far more ethical hunter.

As for your feelings after killing the pig...completely natural. I felt the same after killing my first bear, an animal I have a deep respect for. Now, only you can decide if hunting game animals and/or varmints is something you still want to do. As for me, I like hunting and I like a freezer full of meat even better. I go as often as I can.

When i was a lot younger hunting was about killing the animal, any animal. I took pride in showing off my ''skills", not something I'm proud of now. As i got a bit older i began to respect life of all forms. Unless i intend to eat the animal i don't kill it.

Nowadays i don't feel guilt or remorse so to speak but i do show the up most respect for the animal. After the kill i always thank god for allowing me to have the opportunity to make the kill. After i recover the animal i usually keel down next to it, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and thank it for giving its life so that my family can eat. (Probably close to 80% of what we eat is some form of wild game)

As far as feeling remorse for the animal, if i make a bad shot or for whatever reason i don't recover the animal i feel guilty knowing that it died in vain.

I would not say you feeling remorse for taking your hog is a bad thing. It shows your respect for life and the animal itself, i wish i would've had that same respect when i started hunting myself. Good luck in your hunts to come and remember its all part of the cycle we call life.

I have done it so many times I wish I could get the adrenaline of my first kill over again... Did you ever wonder why hunters go bigger and badder and bigger and badder, why someone would want to hunt lions, elephants, black death, ect? Its because they are hunting for that feeling, they have them mounted so they can relive it, its like a drug, you are just coming down from it...

Imagine this guys adrenaline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9D64GKHhBw everyone missed except for the guy getting charged, perfect headshot!!! The hunter ended up with a fracture from the force of the animal, I would have gotten eaten, lol..

I remeber a few years ago moose hunting, this animal came 3 feet from me, HUGE, Too close to shoot with my bow I could feel his breath in the cold air, I felt connected to him and let him walk away, 2 days later I took one a shade smaller, but was happy with the hunt...

Potts, you did an exceptionally good job. You faced the responsibility that comes with eating meat and using animal products head on. Many people have others do the killing for them but you took that responsibility, including the sorrow that comes with taking a life, upon yourself.

But I'm wondering who's gone through a similar thing before and what they'd have to say about it, if anything.
I feel remorse for every animal I kill.

That's what drives me to make every shot the best shot it can be; and the reason that I and most of the people that I hunt with know that I'm likely to pass on two, three, five, or maybe more shot opportunities, until I'm comfortable and confident that it'll be a one-shot deal. (Though, I am absolutely not opposed to follow-up shots, just to make certain they die as quickly as possible. ;))

I've not hunted yet. What you've described is what I probably find most daunting.

Personally, I'd say it would have been more of a concern if you'd felt nothing.

Yep, normal. I don't like it either. I still get that way with coyotes and bobcats, but generally not with hogs anymore. Especially this time of year, the notion that they were alive and vital is reminded to me when I handle them and feel their fading body heat.

After having a couple of hogs get up that I watched go through the dirt dance and still, I sometimes put an anchor shot into a downed animal to assure that it is dead. The worst are the hogs you shoot that then scream to high heavens. You know they are in a lot of pain and that they are not dying fast enough. They get an immediate followup shot. I have had only a couple do this over the years, but it is not pleasant.

I hate to say it, but the best way to get over it is to do it again. Make the best possible shot you can and be prepared to follow it up as necessary.

Hopefully it will always be there. You just learn to manage it better over time. It means you are human, and will likely always be an ethical hunter. If you can kill without feeling anything, you're probably not much of an asset to the sport and would be the guy the antis look for as an example to justify their cause.

Dakota, I think you are experiencing the same feelings that any person who is "removed from the food source" would feel. By "removed from the food source" I'm referring to someone who has always purchased meat from a grocery store and has had no connection to a living animal raised for slaughter.

I, for one, would hope that this feeling you are having doesn't go away completely such that killing becomes complacency. All hunters should have a bit of emotion towards their prey so that they maintain respect for the animal who is giving its life for their benefit.

It's a pig, don't worry about it, they'll make plenty more. Save your remorse and guilt for an animal that deserves it. I'd shoot a pig and throw it in a ditch without giving it another thought, they aren't game, they're vermin. Think of it as a warm blooded cockroach.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
I was waiting for that lol, that is exactly what my uncle would say, I remember we were hunting deer and he spotted a fischer in a tree stand he called out to spook it aimed waited for it to scurry away from some other hunter tree stand as not to poke a hole in it, and bang, walked away like it was just a normal thing to kill that animal for no reason, I asked him why he did it and he said its vermin, woods are better off with out him... I have done hog hunts in florida and texas, fun as can be but we eat the meat and I respect all wildlife, but I killed so many things that I don't really get excited or too remorseful about it.

There are all kinds of hunters, I am not the type to pop a whitetail for a mount no matter how nice a rack, I want the meat to go to use, I wont kill an elephant or a lion lol, But I will shoot as many coyotes as I can in my lifetime, lol...

You do the things you can live with, I know my cousins step brother came with us one season, killed a doe about his 4th time out and sold his rifle, never hunted again and COULD NOT eat the animal, he paid to have it butchered, sausage, steaks, the whole 9 and gave it all away, could not stand to put it in his mouth.. It wasnt even a bad shot, he dropped her where she stood, I walked over from m stand when I heard the shot and made it to the animal before him, he was moving slow, good sized animal, she was nerve twitching eyes were open and he couldn't take it..

I learned that day WE ALL Aren't HUNTERS... I could tell it was burning him up inside, he didnt speak 10 words the entire ride out of there, and he just killed his first deer, a lot of other guys wouldn't shut up on their first kill, not him, my cousin poked a little fun at him later on after some time passed, and he stopped that when his mother {my aunt the other guys step mom} told him he was having a hard time eating any meat after that.... Weird...

In my experience yes it is normal. Everyone reacts differently. I always have a little remose in killing just about any wild animals. If for no other reason that I enjoyed watching it live its live for a short while. There are a few critters that I don't even think twice about killing, armadillos for one, and starlings for another. Honestly in my opinion when you lose that last vestige of "remose" or thoughtful repose at killing something, then its no longer fun to hunt that critter, it is simply work or protecting the resource by eliminating damaging animals. I have never had to live with feral hogs around, but have not doubt that they would quickly fall into that category of vermin and follow the shoot on sight philosophy.

I suffer deep remorse if I wound and lose a game animal. When I cleanly harvest one...I usually pray to God, and thank Him for my harvest.

Last edited:
In my experience yes it is normal. Everyone reacts differently. I always have a little remose in killing just about any wild animals. If for no other reason that I enjoyed watching it live its live for a short while. There are a few critters that I don't even think twice about killing, armadillos for one, and starlings for another. Honestly in my opinion when you lose that last vestige of "remose" or thoughtful repose at killing something, then its no longer fun to hunt that critter, it is simply work or protecting the resource by eliminating damaging animals. I have never had to live with feral hogs around, but have not doubt that they would quickly fall into that category of vermin and follow the shoot on sight philosophy.

I always say a bit of a prayer when I take a deer or any other game animal that gives its life for my table. I draw the line at hogs though since they destroy the habitat and are nuisance animals taking food and browse from the native species. Same goes for a coyote or feral cat. Bears, I just couldn't shoot one unless it was a matter of self preservation, I just like to watch them when I get the rare chance to observe one.

Funny you guys mention hogs as "undeserving" of remorse. My wife is a non-hunter who isn't happy that I'm a hunter. She really doesn't like it when I kill deer. However, she doesn't give a single thought to me killing a pig.

It's a pig, don't worry about it, they'll make plenty more. Save your remorse and guilt for an animal that deserves it. I'd shoot a pig and throw it in a ditch without giving it another thought, they aren't game, they're vermin. Think of it as a warm blooded cockroach.

You can always tell a hunter 'outsmarted' by his prey. They get a little testy. :D

Back