Is this method used, or just invented by hollywood?

I'm sure some bozo has done it in the past but many practices from the past have been abandoned. Cauterizing is still done on some wounds and tissues but not nearly like in the past.

Completely closing deep wounds is something seldom done. It leads to abcesses. That is why the multitude of little spaghetti tube sized drains are left in deep wounds. In the past a piece of horsehair would be used for the same purpose, ie. leave an route for infectious crud to leak out.
You want bleeding to stop but you do not want the top sealed, or to heal first unless you are absolutely certain there is no foeign material or infectious matter in the wound.

Sam

this may be done not as a permenant measure, but more of a way to keep your butt alive for the next 30 minutes to 3 hours. All the medical knowledge in the universe in the world is useless if you die before getting to the hospital. The docs can clean the gunpowder burn and deep wound for you.

DavidJBlythe said:
this may be done not as a permenant measure, but more of a way to keep your butt alive for the next 30 minutes to 3 hours. All the medical knowledge in the universe in the world is useless if you die before getting to the hospital. The docs can clean the gunpowder burn and deep wound for you.

And now the bleeding has beomc einternal bleeding and, at best, a compartment syndrome

:rolleyes:

it immediatly sucks all of the water from your blood

the way we learnt it it doenst suck up the water, it reacts with the water, to creat heat. my busted open package worked real well to kill some bugs that got into our tent when it flooded one time. then my ipod fell into a small lagoon and died, then was reincarnated, but the battery doesnt work anymore. :rolleyes:

araebisu said:
the way we learnt it it doenst suck up the water, it reacts with the water, to creat heat.

Sorry, you're mistaken...

It withdraws all moisture from application site, the rationale is that it often leaves raw clotting product (thrombin, platelets, etc) at the bleed.

The heat comes from it's mechanism of action...The rapid removal of the moisture causes an "exothermic" reaction, thus producing heat...Many people are mistaken thinking that quick clot was designed to cauterize wounds...It's not..The heat is a side effect.

:cool:

Best way I have heard to deal with a wound when you have no medical supplies is to pee on it. Fresh urine is sterile and will clean the wound. Ya won't smell good, but it beats the alternative.

It doesn't control hemorrhage

When you're in the field...Unless you are MILES and HOURS from help, controlling the bleeding is sufficient.

The GSW victim will get a TON of IV Ancef (anitbiotic) when they get patched up at the Trauma unit/Hospital.

Peeing on a wound is pretty extreme.

:cool:

Last edited:
"Best way I have heard to deal with a wound when you have no medical supplies is to pee on it."

What if we're talking about a head wound? :eek: Where's that gunpowder at?! :D

So, from what I gather, in no way under any circumstance should anyone be trying to seal a wound by lighting gunpowder. Point noted. I guess massive bleeding is just turned into massive internal bleeding if sealed up via the gunpowder method.

Back