Is this engraved S&W 1917 worth the price?

I spend quite a bit of time on auction sites and classifieds. More time than I spend shooting to be honest. I haven't seen any increase in the valuation of customized or modified firearms.
In every field there are a number of well known artisans/tradesman. Their work will hold value much better than a no-name and always has held value better. Once they die their work may exceed its purchase price even adjusted for inflation.
No-name, mid grade, cnc, work almost NEVER goes for much at all over retail of original model and often goes for less. Sure, you might find a seller who will pay more, but that isn't the norm.

Jackmoser, I just happen to have paid extra for factory engraving on my Colt SAA Pistols and S&W’s as well...the engraving on the pistol shown is substandard and any knowledgeable collector would pass on it. If it is ok to you I guess the pistol is still open for bids.

I spend quite a bit of time on auction sites and classifieds.

I don't know what you're looking at but no one is losing money on custom revolvers by well known gunsmiths.

I just happen to have paid extra for factory engraving on my Colt SAA Pistols and S&W’s as well...the engraving on the pistol shown is substandard and any knowledgeable collector would pass on it. If it is ok to you I guess the pistol is still open for bids.

So have I but this is not a factory engraved gun. It's been refinished and engraved after the fact so it's not a collectible in any way. It's also not priced as such. How much is a factory engraved 2nd model hand ejector going for nowadays? Sorry but you haven't looked at substandard engraving if you think that's what this is.

Engraved guns are like Liver and Onions. You either love it or hate it. While I'm not really a fan of engraved guns, the obvious buggered screws bother me more than anything. Kinda like puttin' a custom paint job on a car without fixing the rust spots first.

Not worth the monies to me, but others are free to disagree.

I'd missed the buggered screw head.

That simple fact alone calls into question the validity and quality of the supposed "professional" restoration.

You weren't referring to this particular revolver but made a broad, general statement and that's what I was responding to. I cannot ascertain what you meant to say but can only respond to the words that appear on the screen.

One rarely gets a return on any sort of customization of firearms. Or cars. Or houses. Or anything.
"Custom" usually means made for the orderer. Hard to find someone who wants exactly the same thing.

The guns by top quality artisans are rare. What can a good hand engraver produce? one gun a week? Two? Maybe three? I don't know, but it isn't enough that they are floating around my LGS. That will hold true for almost all the customization out there.

Back