Is this an accurate general observation about the popularity of certain rifle rounds?

Interesting topic. No doubt the most popular chamberings are also the most versatile (seems like a no brainer). Beyond that I think it's mostly personal and, as others have pointed out, dependent on how 'enthusiastic' a gun owner is.

Seems like a lot of people are taken with fads and a popularity of certain rifles; like me and my buddy I usually go shooting with. To compare apples to apples, as best as I can: I've never been unhappy with my marlin 60, he got a fancied up 10/22 (in 22mag). I have always been impressed with my 308 and 7mm mag, he bought a 300WSM (savage), then a 300RUM(rem). He loves his 22-250, but asked 'what the hell is a 220 Ackley?'

It all depends how much you are interested in guns.

I was at a large southern Maine sporting goods store and they didn't have any .22 LR, .308 Win, and other popular cartridges, but had some .218 Bee, and .25-20.

Maybe we need to get people to hoard those instead of the ones we like to shoot?

I was at a large southern Maine sporting goods store and they didn't have any .22 LR, .308 Win, and other popular cartridges, but had some .218 Bee, and .25-20.

Maybe we need to get people to hoard those instead of the ones we like to shoot?

If you have a variety of guns, and a bit of handloading know-how, finding ammo is easier .....

30-30 has been popular for over 100 years because of moderate recoil, good accuracy, and deep penetration thru the vitals. It's still a TOP seller with current rifles built by these companies:

- Marlin
- Winchester
- Rossi
- Henry
- Mossberg
- Thompson Center

Jack

I'll bet that 416 rugby is a ball to shoot!

Nobody could pass on that one, for sure!

The Marketing pitch would have to be pretty strong though, go get it to catch on in this country ....

You win, sir. :)

On the .30-30 win (much like the .30-'06), I'd have to say it's an exception too, more than it is the rule (if there is a rule) - just because it's just NOT a super-versatile chambering. It's quite a goldilocks chambering for big game, of all types, from medium to very large (so to that extent it's "versatile"), but my definition of "versatility" as used in this thread is premised on "large game" being ONE purpose, not a lot of purposes. Since .30-30 is not a great plinker, varminter, or target chambering, and only a "pretty good" defensive chambering, it tends to disprove my "theory", since it's without a doubt one of the most popular of all time.

And yes, by "popular", I'm referring *mostly* to popular over time; meaning staying power; not so much trendy, popular right now today.

Last edited:
Just a side note. I was hunting public land in West Virginia and near the parking lot I found a loaded .416 Rigby round. I have found all kinds of ammo near Game Lands parking lots because of guys loading their pockets in the dark. I found a whole new box of 30-30 once. Apparently (In somebody's mind) the .416 Rigby overlaps into the "I can use it for deer in a pinch" category.

And yes, by "popular", I'm referring *mostly* to popular over time; meaning staying power; not so much trendy, popular right now today.

All of the most popular rounds have been popular for many decades.

.30-30, well over 100 years.

.30-06, over 100 years.

.308,7.62, over 60 years.

.223/5.56, over 60 years.

The "other" Top 5 contender, .270Win, has been around 90 years.

Being adopted by a major military certainly helps

.30-06 Springfield and .308 Winchester are well represented. .223 certainly sells a lot of rifles. 9mm, .45 ACP have large followings.

I have no idea what makes cartridges popular. Some of the best ones do not ever have SAAMI specs. I really will never figure out why the .270 Winchester is as popular as it is.

The 270's flat shooting, superior ballistic coefficient, and inherent accuracy doesn't hurt its popularity either.;)

Last edited:
All of the most popular rounds have been popular for many decades

Not true at all.

The .270 WSM, the 6.8 spc, the .357 Sig - I could name dozens that are either popular now or were at one time, but were relative flashes in the pan, or are destined to be flashes in the pan (relatively speaking). The .250 Savage was extremely popular for a time. Many other examples of this.

As I said, for good reason:

I don't known of any evidence that indicates that those rounds are among the most popular.

Sure, they're on a list but I wouldn't call the 50th most popular, "popular". Are they top 10? I doubt it. Top 30? Who knows?

Since you define popularity "over time", those rounds (.30-06, .270, .30-30, etc) have remained popular for many decades. 357sig, .270WSM and 6,8spc haven't even existed long enough to meet your criteria.

If you start getting onto "popular" but only for 3 years, 5 years, or whatever, you then have to define what qualifies as "popular". I'd be willing to bet that most gun owners have never even heard of 6.8SPC.

There are lists put out by RCBS on the most popular dies, I've never seen any of those (except .270WSM) on the list, not in the top 25 anyway. I don't call that "popular".

Last edited:
From a ballistic standpoint, the 6.5-06 is superior to the .270 Win. The latter is extremely popular. The first is pretty much custom only.

Why ask about Popularity???

If it works for you shoot it. We live in the US where we can get just about anything within reason. If you are on a budget stick to what is cheap and gets the job done. If you like to experiment with wildcats have at it. If you like to carry a lever action you will do well with a 30-30 for whitetail. If you got one of those 44 Mag Ruger semi auto rifles maybe that Hornaday ballistic tip stuff will give you a little flatter shot at 125 yds.

I know a pastor who's wife asked why he needed more than a couple of guns. Without lying how could he explain that. Maybe he could justify four or five but beyond that it is justifying a hobby.

Get what works for you and forget about all the hoopla.:D

Last edited:
270 for Corn Fed Mid-West White-Tail

I like the 270 Winchester. I considered the 260 Remington but the ammo was much more expensive and I like to shoot. The rifle choices were limited and much harder to find. I got 2 Savage 111 without Accu triggers brand new with a crappy 3X9 scope but good mounts on clearance for $270 each last year. I will put the scope on a Savage 22 Mag with a heavy fluted barrel and Accu Trigger. The other scope will be a backup. The other rifle will be there as rifle for visting friends to shoot. They trust my ability to provide a decent rifle for their hunt and no airport morons to deal with.

Good luck finding a 260 Remington on clearance. I even picked up some Federal Premium Barnes 150 gn ammo on clearance last fall. They did not carry 260 Remington. The 270 has some very good bullets that have high sectional densities and ballistic coefficients. It is cheap to shoot, shots flat and accurate, easy to find, has a reasonable recoil for range shooting, and did I mention cheap to shoot for a powerful smallbore. I have noticed medium game 223 Remington loads cost more and are marginal on white-tail at best.

I owned a Winchester 270 WSM with a pre-64 action. I sold it and it covered both of the Savages and then some. It was beautiful but the deer just simply did not care and the ammo was expensive so I hardly shot it. Ballistically it did no better than a 270 Winchester. Some may not care about costs and love such a well made and beautiful rifle. I used to think that way when I was younger but now appreciate value and versatility more.

30-06 Overkill on White Tails

30-06 is a great round due to its versatility but is over kill on white-tails. A 30-30 gets the job done fine in the woods. A 270 is better in the open. The venerable 30-06 has its place though especially if one chases elk within a reasonable range. So here is my list:

White-tail: 1. 270 Win 2. 30-30 lever action in the woods 3. 25-06 4. 7mm non-magnum 4. 308 Win 5. 30-06 6. 7mm Rem Mag (a bit of overkill but widely available) 7. 280 Rem

Elk 1. 30-06 2. 7mm Rem Mag 3. 308 Win 4. 300 Mag 5. 338 Win Mag (a definite must in Great Bear areas) 6. 270 Win (Many elk have been harvested with 270's) 7. 280 Rem

Varmit: 1. 223/5.56 2. 22 Magnum (cheap to shoot and good at close range) 3. 22-250 (short barrel life) 4. 243 Win (good for youth on deer as well) 5. 270 Win with light bullet 6. 25-06 7. Shotgun on Yotes called in.

My list ain't perfect:eek: but it is what works for me. Note the 270 Win on each list. So for all around versatility outside of Great Bear country it is my top choice. No odd balls were included but if you like to mess around there are many viable less used cartridges out there.

I really will never figure out why the .270 Winchester is as popular as it is.

Kicks less and shoots flatter than the -06, which was the standard "big rifle" in this country when the .270 hit the market.

With loadings available from 90gr fragile varmit bullets to 150gr modern bonded bullets, there isn't anything walking on 4 legs, from ground squirrels to elk and bears in the lower 48 that isn't suitable game for it..... and it's 1 in 10 twist will stabilize all of them. What's not to love?

Back