Is this a good choice (used 870 Trap)

GKT, I would definitely go to a gunfitter and have him fit the gun to you. Don't be afraid to make modifications to the stock, they will help your shooting and cut down on recoil. Once you know the proper measurements for the gun you can have a new gun altered to the same measurements.

Before you have screw chokes installed into the present barrel, look into buying a barrel with screw chokes. This may be cheaper and will allow you to use Remington rem chokes rather than some oddball choke tubes.

With a tight fixed (non screw in) choke, you might want to try different brands of shells to see which patterns best with your gun. Sometimes changing shells can alter the shot pattern and help you break more birds. Many of the oldtimers shoot fixed (Eg non screw in) chokes and do well with them. Learn to shoot your gun before you start changing chokes, believe me, it will help your game. Too often shooters blame poor performance on not having the right gun, or shells or glasses or shooting partners etc. Screw chokes are just one more thing to distract you from learning how to shoot. (OK, don't ask me how many choke tubes I have for my guns!).

Also, think about spending some money on lessons. It may seem expensive but will help you to learn to shoot. A good instructor can spot the little things you are doing wrong and correct you now before you learn too many bad habits. Just like golf or tennis, lessons at the beginning are important.

You may be able to find an instructor/ gunfitter who will help you to get started right.

My $.02 as usual

Geoff Ross

Great advice! I'll do some calling around and see what I can find for lessons.

I also bought a mix of shells and will give 'em a whirl next weekend.

Thanks all!

Back