Is this a "cook off"?

44 AMP said:
Theohazard said:
On an open-bolt machine gun it's impossible for a cook-off to cause a runaway gun.
True, but a worn sear, or bolt notch (or whatever parts perform that function) absolutely WILL!
Ha, don't I know it! From what I could tell, there was no parts replacement schedule for our M240s: The armorers just waited for us to break them and then they fixed them. The '240 is built like a tank, but eventually the sear would wear down and wouldn't catch the bolt, resulting in a runaway gun. I learned really quickly to not link too much ammo together unless you're prepared to induce a stoppage. I also learned that the feeding mechanism was so strong that pulling on the belt was useless and wouldn't cause a stoppage; to stop it you had to twist the belt 90 degrees which either jammed it up and kept it from feeding or just broke the belt entirely.

Last edited:
Step back for a moment. You shot someone else's cheap reloads through your $3000 Ed Brown?

I'm not trying to ridicule you, but in a gun like that you want to shoot only high quality factory ammo. One, reloads void your warranty from the gun manufacturer. ONLY shoot reloads if you do it yourself. Two, Bubba's reloads could be hazardous to your health. While it's hard to double charge a 45acp round, one scenario is an undercharged round causing a squib load. If that happens, your nice Ed Brown can become one expensive hand grenade!

Sorry, I assumed reloads. He may have sold you factory ammo, but if he gave it to you in a ziplock bag the it was reloads. Again, just an assumption.

One other thing, unless your firing pin channel is so dirty that the firing pin is stuck beyond the breech face, I'm not sure how an Ed Brown or any other quality 1911 could have a malfunction such that the firing pin would release twice in one shot. 1911 guys want to chime in?

Last edited:
Almost forgot. The gun is at Eddy Brown being checked out top to bottom for free....love those life time warranties....Guy at Brown I talked to said sounds like batch of bad ammo...or a grip safety issue, but they would fix anything that was not right with the gun. From now on if I don't recognize the ammo brand, Federal, Remington, etc....I'll pass.

So what was the brand ammo he sold you then? Again, don't buy crap ammo or anything that looks like reloads. Especially don't shoot crap out of a nice gun like an Ed Brown. Thats like having a Porsche and filling it up with garbage gasoline.

That's not to say there isn't quality, affordable ammo out there. Ammo sold at gun ranges tend to be overpriced, junk, some guys reloads or a combination of all 3. WWB, Remington, Federal, blazer brass are all affordable options and can be bought around 30-35 cents/round 45 acp at walmart, academy or online cheaper if you buy in bulk. There is even quality imported stuff like Perfecta (Fiocci brand) that can be bought for cheap as above.

Last edited:
My take on this, and I could be wrong. I believe that you may have accidentally done a third tap without realizing it. The third round was loaded wrong or cheap/bad primers. Thereby causing a hang fire. This is especially likely if the trigger pull is very light and short. Is this a possibility?

My take on this, and I could be wrong. I believe that you may have accidentally done a third tap without realizing it. The third round was loaded wrong or cheap/bad primers. Thereby causing a hang fire. This is especially likely if the trigger pull is very light and short. Is this a possibility?

That sounds like a good possibility.

There are types of .45ACP factory ammo, such as TulAmmo FMJ steel case, that I wouldn't shoot through my "good" Dan Wesson Valor 1911 on a dare. However I wouldn't think twice about shooting that same stuff out of my Gen4 Glock 21, somebody once gave me 4 boxes of this awful stuff, am I supposed to turn down free ammo? I think not, I bring out the best trash ammo pistol that I own:cool:

Back