Is there such thing as a double action snub nose 45lc?

S&W Model 625-11. A source on the S&W forum says 103 were made. Your unicorn awaits...somewhere.

625%20pair.jpg

Instead of searching for a rare factory gun, it would be a simple matter to take a longer barreled DA .45 and shorten the barrel. For a gunsmith, it's a fairly straightforward task to cut a barrel, machine the muzzle crown and install a new front sight. Keep in mind that the .45 LC is indeed "Long" Colt. Extraction will be poor with a short ejector rod, and a full length one will probably require at least a 3" barrel. Indeed shortening one more would probably require an unshrouded ejector or more custom fabrication. This is also why it's unlikely to find a true snubnose .45LC. A snubnose .45ACP on the other hand, is quite practical, but it's doubtful your friend has the same affinity for it as he does for .45LC. On the other hand, long barrels are easy to carry and conceal. Everyone knows it's not the barrel, but the butt that prints. A 3.5" or 4" barrel Model 25 would be just right.

Smith-Wesson-Model-25-Left-001.jpg

The previous post about the difficulties with shortening a barrel too far suddenly reminded me about the big bore snubnose revolvers made by John Jovino. His method included adding a ball bearing detent to the yoke, so that the locking bolt at the end of the ejector rod could be safely deleted. Then he would shorten the barrel and shroud so that there was just a little of the shroud left in front of the ejector rod.

If you google for John Jovino, you can find some pictures. I sure you could find a gunsmith to do similar work if you had a 45 colt N-frame to start with.

The Taurus Ultralite is hard to beat in 45C. I did replace the super sticky factory grips for a nice set Thailand hardwoods. Other than that, it was perfect.

The closest factory job you can get is the S&W 625-11 or the Taurus Ultalite. I bought a S&W 25-2 someone sent off to Mag-na-port and it was a custom build a lot like the John Jovino guns. It was round butted, barrel shortened, ball detent lock up, Mag-na-ported and brushed/chromed and now sports a set of Ahrends grips.

Back