Is there really a rifle break in procedure

It seems to me that "barrel break-in" has only come about in the last 30 years or so, I used to subscribe to all the gun mags and I don't recall reading about it. Rifle testing by the writers usually involved checking the screws, making sure the action was snug in the stock and the rifle in a secure position in the rest. In 1979 I fired my NIB Winchester M-70 XTR for the first time, in fading light on a fall day I got a 1.5" group at 100 yards with GI ammo and iron sights, first time I fired my No. 1 SIG SHR, at 100 yards a 1.25" group with Remington ammo-and I am FAR from being an experienced CF rifle/long range shot. "Polishing" a rifle barrel is best done by shooting jacketed bullets. Just my $.02.

I have yet to see objective,statistical evidence that it makes any significant difference. I say this because one hears of so many different ways that it should be done.

There is a process. It is very complicated and nearly impossible to explain. Send me your rifle and 5 boxes of ammo, and I will return it to you in two weeks time correctly broken in following established standard processes.

Upon return, I will also send you an optional auxiliary option to purchase 5 acres of prime development land on the edge of the Florida Everglades. All you need to do is sign the contract and remit payment via cashiers check.

I break in new rifles, but I'm not 100% sure it is necessary. But why not? Clean and lube before shooting. Shoot one round, clean bore. Shoot two rounds, clean bore. Shoot four rounds, clean bore. Then eight, clean bore, done. 15 rounds total for break in. With custom, hand lapped bores, I see no reason.

With a production rifle the barrel may be a little rough, break in the barrel will help smooth out the cut marks, on a match barrel no need, it's already mirror like.

In the 60 plus years I've been shooting firearms, rifles in this instance, I've never done a break in process and all except one shot very well and improved with age. The one that was a problem I bought from a friend at a gunshot, a Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight. He sold me the rifle at a very fair price because it said it wouldn't shoot. I checked the bore and it was so badly copper fouled that it took several days using that nasty Sweet's 7.62 stuff. After I cleaned it out, I shot it at the range and before I finished off the box of ammo is was already badly fouled again. Long sessions with the Sweet's were quickly getting old so I decided to fire lap the barrel. Cleaning the gunk out go the barrel was more of a PITA but when I was done, copper fouling was no different that my other rifles and easy to remove. That rifle quickly became one of my favorites.
Paul B.

Back