Is there really a rifle break in procedure

Kamloops

Inactive
I like shooting but it has never been what my life revolves around.
Never have I done anything but get a new or used rifle and just go shoot it, and sight it in.
But that said I've heard a few mentions from people about breaking in a new rifle.
So I am going to ask....is there such a thing....and if so how?

If it matters what type of rifle it is a Henry .45-70 lever.
I only ever use Hornady ammo as it has worked well for me and I am a creature of habit.
Thanks

I've never seen any issue with 'breaking in' any firearm, except proper lubrication and cleaning before use. I've had to tighten up a few screws sometimes after the recoil backs them out a quarter-turn, but that's all.

I had a DPMS AR15 that the owner manual if I remember right said to fire 1 round and wipe out bore-and so on until 25 rounds were fired.After that every 10 rounds till 100.I think I have heard this elsewhere also.This I think is a little extreme but its what their manual says for best accuracy later.

A large percentage of the barrel manufactures recommend a break-in procedure. It has been my experience over several decades that those barrels that I broke in clean up way faster than those that I didn't.
On new guns I have never seen any mention in the owners manual that deals with break-in procedures. But then again if gun don't perform up to expectations they think you will part with it and buy another one. Probably part of their marketing strategy.
Another note is that I have owned a bore scope for 20 years now and I have yet to see a smooth barrel on a new rifle of the standard brands. They are or interested in production numbers not necessarily quality.
I would advise a break -in procedure on all new guns. some may require a lap -in procedure.

There is a break-in period where both mechanical function and accuracy improve as the first number of shots remove machining traces left. Whether there is a correct procedure by which to achieve the maximum effect is like asking direct impingement vs. op-rod, hopeless.

I've never had an issue before... Occasionally an action needs a little time to smooth out...

I can't see how a bore break-in could help a bore any different than just shooting ammo out of it lol.

Almost all barrels shoot better after a few rounds have been through them. How many rounds it takes varies. Some reach their full potential in a dozen or so, others may need 200 or more rounds before they shoot to their full potential.

The concept of shooting "X" number of rounds, clean, then shoot "Y" number of rounds and clean, then "Z" number of rounds and repeat has been proven to be BS.

Just go shoot the thing and clean it when it gets dirty. You'll likely see gradual improvement in accuracy but you'll see exactly the same if you clean it after every shot for 200 rounds or if you wait until 200 rounds have been fired to clean it the 1st time.

This question keeps coming back up on an annual basis, and there are arguments both ways. If you do a search of the forum, you will save yourself some time waiting for responses.

I also highly recommend ready the sticky at the top of this forum called the "Wisdom of Gale McMillan", as in McMillan barrels. Gale forgot more about barrel manufacturing is his time than most of us will know, and he had opinions on "barrel break in".

Globemaster- Everytime this subject come up, someone has to mention Gale- Fact being he held some records, second fact being most records were set by other people using his barrels, not using his break in theory. So while Gale was a awesome shot, the majority of his barrels were not shot by him. Once again, it is just one persons opinion. Break in or not break in is all a personnel thing.
I do not in any way mean to say any thing bad about Gale. He had his moment for sure. It just makes me wonder that if a new guy came along, broke all the world records and then went on about how important barrel break in is what would happen?. Would all of a sudden those that say barrel break in is a farce all of a sudden start say- Oh man I need to break in my barrel like this guy does now. It's almost comical to see how some people just idolize this guy. McMillian barrels don't even make it into the top 8 barrels made anymore.

Last edited:
>
I had a DPMS AR15 that the owner manual if I remember right said to fire 1 round and wipe out bore-and so on until 25 rounds were fired.After that every 10 rounds till 100.I think I have heard this elsewhere also.This I think is a little extreme but its what their manual says for best accuracy later.
<

I bought an Oracle ar15 9 months ago and broke it in just the way they recomended. It gets good groups - avg 5 shot moa w/ good ammo is 1.56".

See sticky #3. The Wisdom of Gale McMillan. He asserts that it will take 50 rounds off of the life of one his barrels, but go right ahead.

The break-in procedures I've seen involve making sure that there's no metal fouling buildup so that each round goes down a completely clean bore. The direct contact between the bullet and the bore is supposed to gradually smooth the bore. A smoother bore will tend to foul less and that will tend to contribute to better accuracy over time.

Cleaning very often, maybe after every single shot initially, will insure that it's easy to remove all the fouling and insures that every bullet contacts the bore instead of potentially riding down the bore on a thin layer of fouling.

So what's my take?

Did you buy a custom barrel with a properly lapped bore? Then you shouldn't need to smooth it out.

Ok, so you bought an off-the-rack, production rifle. Let's assume that we agree with the idea that copper jacketed bullets going down a completely clean steel bore will smooth it out significantly. There are decent arguments both ways, but let's forget about them and just accept this as fact for the moment.

The basic idea is that you want bullets in direct contact with the bore to do the work of smoothing. The break-in procedures generally involve firing a round, cleaning, firing a round, cleaning...at some point you fire 5 rounds and then clean, repeat that a time or two, maybe increasing the number of rounds again and repeating that until finally you're done.

Are you going to take your rifle to the range and shoot maybe 20 or 30 rounds in a day? Then don't bother with break-in. INSTEAD, especially when the rifle is relatively new, just make sure that you clean the bore back to bare metal after every trip to the range. Remove ALL metal and carbon fouling from the bore after every range trip. Most people don't do that. It will take more effort than a normal cleaning and will involve some sort of method to actually remove copper. Bore brushes, patches and typical nitro solvent won't usually do much to remove metal fouling.

So maybe it takes you longer to get the bore broken in because you're shooting more rounds between each of the rounds that goes down the barrel touching bare metal. What does that hurt? Unless you have a bore that's really rough, or unless you need to shoot a large number of rounds in a single range trip without any accuracy loss at all, it won't hurt anything.

Eventually, over the course of a number of range trips, you will have achieved exactly the same effect that the break-in procedure would have. But you never had to do anything other than clean the bore thoroughly after every range trip. Admittedly, most people probably don't remove all the metal fouling every time they clean a rifle bore, so the cleanings you do will be more work than normal, at least at first.

The exception might be if you are involved in competition or some other shooting endeavor that requires a relatively large number of rounds fired at a single range trip. Especially when it is unacceptable to have an accuracy drop-off due to metal fouling buildup during the course of firing those rounds. If that's the case, it might make sense to take steps to smooth your bore with a break-in procedure.

Or you could just have a good gunsmith lap your bore.

Most new firearms are "broken in" at a range more for the accuracy of the sights or optics...typically at 25-50 yards. Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter. Factory milled rifling is pristine from the first shot. If there is a problem with the rifling, it's take off the line. A new rifle or other firearm probably comes with a factory oiling that needs to be cleaned in the bore. It's then that the newly acquired firearm is broken in. Some manufacturers place a couple of casings used in the test, so even with target proof.

Handller- Ok lets put this theory to the test. Run of the mill Deer Rifle. Cleaned once a year ( shot once a year) Most Deer hunters I know do that, they do the range one week before opener, fire 3 to 5 shots, and done. Go hunting, maybe fire 2 or 3 shots, done till next year. Now with that in mind, that barrel will last?. 20 years, 30 years, 40 years. 2 generations, 3 generations?. Hand downs to grandchildren. There is this story of barrel manufacturers saying to clean the rifle, clean the rifle all in an attempt to get you to destroy the barrel from over cleaning it and have to buy a new one. So every 20,30,40 years they sell another barrel,, not a very lucrative business at that rate. I will give you-Cleaning a barrel the wrong way or with the wrong equipment is damaging to the life .
Done proper with the right set up-There is no damage at all that happens. Now I will throw this out there as I am no barrel manufacturer. Could it be-Mc Millian barrels are not all that good that he does not want you to clean them that much?
That would explain why they are not even in the top 8. The report did not list who was in Number 9 position so I don't know if McMillian is even in the top 10.

Now I have 9 rifles all have been broken in, all shoot sub moa very easy. My 6MMBR gets a new barrel every year, but for a barrel that is only supposed to be shot out at about 2500 rounds, I am getting in the 4000 to 5000 range before they are shot and I break in my barrels and clean them at least 2 times a week. I go through more patches then I do ammo sometimes:D.

Last edited:
4runnerman, in the "Wisdom" post about break-in, read Gale's comment about what his fellow barrel-maker said about break-in. Apparently that guy started the whole deal. Sorta sounds like pre-Internet gossip and "monkey see, monkey do" to spread the word. :)

I've said before: I started centerfire in 1950; my mentor-uncle began as an armorer in the 1920s. "Break-in" as such was not known to me (and never mentioned by him) until I started reading about it here in 1999.

Shooting burnishes a barrel whether you clean it or don't, per what I learned in my metallurgy class in my collitch daze.

I figure that somebody who came to believe it went to work for a gun company and talked about it. Next thing you know, it's in the instruction booklet provided with a new rifle. And if it's in print, it must be Gospel. :D

Very True Art, Internet don't lie:D. I should repost- I believe clean ( break in as it's called) Helps the rifle clean up easier in the long run. A barrel is only as accurate as it can be. Now the flip side is- Back in 1950 as you mention we were not as smart as we are today, same as today and tomorrow. So maybe we are learning new things as we go?. Me-I believe in break in. Those that don't- I have no issue with it. This forum is great because of all types of people and all types of opinions. It is nice to see a bunch of different opinions. Keeps us all on our toes and keeps us searching for the truth.

I don't think that it will harm a barrel either way...

I'm not so sure about bore polishing tho. That seems counterintuitive to me as Polish removes metal. But there's products to do just that.

I'm also thinking that break in would have more benefit to traditionally rifled bores over CHF barrels.

If someone was interested in stripping copper out, get some janitorial grade ammonia from a hardware store.

To me, life's too short and I'm not a precision shooter, so I doubt I'd ever see the benefit of a regimine like that.

Sorry to have raised a topic that seems to bring out the passion inside some.
As I get older, instead of assuming that I just know everything like i did in my teens or 20s I now seek out some answers.
I have owned 3 new rifles in the past.
Usually I shoot at an old gravel pit way out in the country.
Typically I would fire off say 10 rounds to make sure that it was working okay.
Then start sighting it in.
So day one could be 40 rounds or so.

Always clean and lube my rifle after a day of shooting, regardless if i fired 1 round or 100.

Maybe I will modify that old way of doing it somewhat.

Thanks for the replies ☺

Kamloops, no worries! Don't fret over asking the question. As you spend more time on the board, you will see recurring topics that are always contentious, and very polarizing. This is just one of a few. It's your rifle, your ammo, and your time. Just wanted to reveal what info is already out there.

4Runner, I envy your time spent at the range. Unfortunately, I am in a phase in life where I don't make it to the range like I want. But, there will be time down the road in the next phase. I bring up Gale because like John pointed out, the guy knew a lot and had a perspective most of us don't. He's one of the few I would give the label "expert opinion" to on this board. Regardless of where those barrels finish today, in his time, he was a serious contender.

However, also notice I encouraged the OP to look at that thread, as well as both sides of the argument. It's his decision, I'm only trying to point out the data already out there as best I can.

And as far as getting smarter collectively (I believe you meant as a culture or society), maybe in some areas, but I'd say just the opposite in a lot of other areas... Case in point, common sense.... It ain't that common any more!

Back