Is there anything better than 30-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoogieMan

Bored tonight so figured it would be fun to put this out there. Lol
All around hunting caliber for the world. From squirrel to buffalo. I know it can go as low as 120 and as high as 220. It's available at every store that has ammo. Every manufacturer that I am aware of has produced rifles to chamber it. It has taken every animal on the planet and at least a few countries for that matter. Let's not forget that 30-06 basically saved the world as we know it.
What say you

I like the 30.06 but there are lots of other calibers, like cars, Ford, Chev, Dodge etc. Something for everyone, that is the spice of life.

My 2 favorite rifle calibers are 270 Winchester and 357H&H.

But if I were to have to live with only one high powered rifle for everything, it would be a 30-06--- as long as my ammo was not limited.
Bullets from 110 to 220 and all the powders I'd like.

There is not a shell that truly is one-size-fits-all but the closest caliber there is to a "one size fits all" is the grand old 30-06.

7x57 and 303 are terrific cartridges. They have likely every animal. Neither is as versatile as the -06. Neither has truly spread freedom and democracy as the -06. Actually both to my knowledge have spread oppression.

The .30-06 is a fine cartridge but it's really not any better than a whole host of others. It only "saved the world", so to speak, because it was what there was at the time.

It doesn't kill any better (or any worse) than any of at least a few dozen other cartridges. It is ballistically inferior to a great many, but better than just as many. The same can be said for it energy and recoil levels.

For me, there's a lot of better cartridges. I have no use for it, in fact, and will likely never own one.

From my perspective, the question would be "Is there anything better than 7mm-08?"

I'm going to declare what side I'm on and go with Boogieman's statement regarding the .06 spreading freedom an the like. Not to mention that it is the best all around caliber ever produced by man!:D

Started reloading for the '06 in 1950. From 00 Buck squirrel load to 80-grain jackrabbit load to 150/180 for deer/elk. What's not to like? "Anything inside of 500 yards, I own it." :D

I would like to add. -06 along with the -03 are the parents to more cartridges than any other.

Actually the 7X57 is the granddaddy to the 30-06.

It is very versatile and can do a lot, there is a reason why all other cartridges are compared to 30-06. Whenever another cartridge is mentioned the responses are something like, "recoil is slightly more or less than 30-06". "It shoots slightly flatter than 30-06" "It is suitable for any game you'd use 30-06 on" etc.

I've been a fan for over 40 years. But in 2016 better bullets and optics have really leveled the field and a lot of smaller caliber cartridges will equal it. You could pick most anything from 243 on up to 30-06 and do pretty much the same thing. If a 243 or any of the 6.5 mm cartridges will take the same game animals (at least in the lower 48) with similar trajectories and far less recoil why choose the 30-06. When I bought my 1st one in 1975 it was considered middle of the road. Today I consider it way over powered until you get to elk or moose at extended ranges.

It does offer an advantage on the largest game, but by the time you get to game that will kill you, a 30-06 seems pretty small.

The 30.06 is the standard all other rifles are measured by much like the 45 ACP is to pistols... IMHO

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

It depends on where you live and what you intend to use the rifle for more then anything else. Live out west in wide open country and you want something to shoot longer distances. Hunt deer sized game and you don't need that .30 caliber.

For 38 years I've used a .25-06, it never let me down. But I live in Ohio where I can only use it for groundhogs. It has gone deer hunting with me in FL and bear hunting in Canada.

I now posses larger cartridges but none of my uses have required them.

I would like to add. -06 along with the -03 are the parents to more cartridges than any other.
Except for the 8x57mm and 7x57mm, which was the parent of the -03 and -06. and the M/88 which was the parent cartridge to the 8x57 and the 7x57.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back