Is there a "rule of thumb"

This is a .357/.38 semi-wad cutter lead cast from wheel weights with some tin added. 140 grain Lee mold run through a sizing die and lubed with alox. I thought that Unique would be a good powder with CCI standard primers (not magnum primers).
OK, I have been reloading for 45 years, and I have loaded a lot of cast 38 and 357 loads, most with Unique. So I suggest getting a Lyman reloading manual, there are loads for both jacketed and lead bullets with a variety of powders. I don't think the Lyman manual is a great manual, but it does have a lot of lead bullet data which is harder to find these days. But you're on the right track with lead and Unique!

The millisecond time frame is so short, its sort of like passing your finger through a candle flame without getting burned, only the exposure is much faster, and the gas is at a higher temperature. But the same principle applies.

Exactly, and worth repeating.

Don

Thanks all. After all this great info I have to tell you that I was not looking for a particular load. Although I acquired a lot of knowledge with that question. I am simply looking for a load that is accurate, subsonic and that I will get the minimum leading.

I found it and it works pretty good. As accurate as I need and pretty inexpensive for practice. Of course the recoil and noise is less but my old arthritis hands can take an afternoon shooting without costing an arm and leg.

Sorry if it stirred things up.

No problem. The "stir-up", to the extent there was one, is typical. Threads almost always have a tendency to drift a bit as one answer makes someone else think of something tangential to it that they want to bring up. We try not to let that go too far, but it is normal for there to be some.

For pistol reloading, I am a fan of the Lyman reloading manuals. I normally shoot plated bullets and never go near max loads. With the 9mm, I had to search for a load that would shoot well and cycle the action, even with limp wristers occasionally shooting it. Some cast bullet load suggestions would not work, being too light, so I had to ramp up the load a bit. Took some work, but I got the good loads finally. As for the 38/357 and plated bullets, I worked up some warm loads that don’t lead the barrel.

It just takes time, patience, and a good reloading manual. Buy a Lyman for their cast bullet load info.

I quit shooting pure cast bullets when I switched to plated.

Back