Is there a negative side to having too fast of a twist rate?

According to Berger, there can be a negative impact on accuracy from spinning a bullet faster than necessary.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp_super_faq/why-do-you-recommend-the-slowest-twist/

"Spinning a bullet faster than necessary can amplify any inconsistency in the bullet. Since we use J4 jackets, you can shoot Berger Bullets in faster twist than what is listed. We list the slowest twist rate needed because we want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of a rifle."​

This Rifle is a 223 and has a 1-12 twist and it shoots light bullets better than heavy I shoot 52 and 53 GR. flat base around 2600 fps . For heavyer bullets I would need a 1-9 or even a 1-8 if shooting more than 200 yards .

000_0981.jpg

This Rifle is a 30-06 and shoots 154 gr. very well with a 1-14 twist . If I did shoot heavyer bullets like a 180 GR. I would like maybe a 1-18 twist .

000_0962.jpg

I think your numbers are backwards on that 06 there Keybear.

All my custom built rifles are twisted relatively fast. I have seen many negatives to a barrel being twisted too slow, but I have never seen a problem with a barrel being twisted too fast.
When I build a rifle now, I look at the newest Berger tables and twist slightly faster than the rate they call for in the heaviest/longest bullet they make for that diameter.

Back