Is there a double action snub nose 45lc out there?

$25 is nothing, but IIRC the 85 was going for under $200. The 605 is about $275 now. Not terribly more, but still enough more for me to lose interest. While I have .357's with 4 and 6 inch barrels and mainly shoot .38 out of them, from a snub I'm not interested in ever shooting more than .38 from it.

You do make a good point about the ability to shoot anything out of it tho, it will hold up a lot better than a .38 will to the hottest of .38+P.

I'm a bit late to this party but the 44 CA Bulldog has been on my radar for awhile. I was hesitant to purchase because I'd come across negative reviews that would put me on hold. Mostly about fit/finish. I do have CA 9mm Pitbull that shoots just fine. But there are some "places" on the frame and barrel that could've been shown more love with the grinder. But nothing that affects its shootability.
But CA does have a "newer build" Bulldog that is 45 Colt. Still has the 2.5" barrel but they refer to the frame as XL. Most reviewers report that the XL size is just a tad larger than the other Bulldogs.
g4gguns.com in Texas has the Colt 45 Bulldog at a nice price so I bought one. It's the 74530 model in stainless with rubber grips. They don't have a credit card upcharge and it's free shipping. All the ducks lined up. Just did this yesterday so it's in process to my FFL.
Looking forward to reloading for it. Hopefully it will be a winner.

"Psst. You do know they discontinued their bread-and-butter .38 snub, the Model 85, don't you?"

I honestly couldn't believe this when I read it and went to their website to confirm, thinking that it must be a mistake, but you're right, they actually cancelled one of their best-selling revolvers.

Granted that they still have the 605 which is virtually the exact same gun chambered in .357 Magnum and now they have replaced the 85 with the 6-shot 856, but it just seems absurd that they would discontinue an otherwise successful revolver which has been in their catalog for several decades.
I could see them discontinuing one of their botched attempts at innovation like the Spectrum 380 or outdated models like the PT111 G2 now that they have the G3, but the Model 85?

Oh, Taurus... For a time I was such a huge fan of their products, but nowadays they just keep making extremely questionable decisions like discontinuing popular firearms from both the Taurus and Rossi catalog, doing away with their Lifetime Warranty which covered the firearm itself, and worst of all, their prices aren't even all that great anymore so when the choice comes down to a Taurus or a Ruger for about the same price, Ruger wins.

I wonder if Taurus discontinued the 85 because their equipment was wearing out. I bought one in blue steel with the 100% warranty before it all changed. When I qualified for ccw they let me use both my 85 and my LCP Custom 380 on the same target. The 380 centered nicely in the black. The Taurus center nicely 3-4" to the left. A lgs finally noticed that the barrel was not clocked, but actually pointed left meaning the threads cut into the frame were cut at an angle. I called customer service that wanted to charge me shipping a few months after purchase and led me to believe it might fall under their specs. I pawned it a year later and only last $20.

As much as the steel 85 weighted, I'd just as soon carry a 6 shot. My 3" .44 Bulldog carries easier and shoots straighter after CA installed a new barrel. The old Stratford model also shot 3" left but is much closer now, only 1" left at 15 yards. The reason I know it's not all me is because my 3" S&W model 36 with a pinned barrel shot to poa and I really regret having traded it years ago.

I saw a CA .45acp on that larger frame and to my eyes, it was considerably wider than even the .44 Bulldog. I actually wish my 19 ounce Bulldog was a few ounces heavier when I try longer shots standing, unaided for a bit more steadiness, but up close it is fine. With deep pockets, I'm comfortable with it in a front pocket holster. If it were a .45 I think it would simply be too thick and bulky but I haven't actually tried to.

Really, .44 Special and .45 Colt aren't all that far apart and they are just as easy to find, though Ruger recently discontinued their 3" .44 Special GP100. But I know how it is when we want something.

While it's nice to have, a 6 shot cylinder is thicker than 5, not as small/comfortable to carry concealed. Would have been great if Taurus made both and let people choose the one they want more.

I have a 6 shot snub, the Rock Island. It's fine, but if I were to carry it, it'd be open carried. No way I'm putting that cylinder IWB.
I have a 856 and the size difference is very small. It uses the same holsters as my 605. My 856 has very good fit and finish and is accurate for a small snubby.

I really like the Taurus 450 and I wouldn’t mind picking one up one day. An old coworker had one and I got the chance to run a bunch of ammo through it, no complaints and two thumbs up for the fun factor of a compact big bore.

When I saw the title I immediately thought of the discontinued Taurus.

I have Charter Arms snubbies in 44 special and 45acp and like them both. I would assume that the 45 colt version is as good.

It would be nice but the concept is played out quite well with a GP100 .44 Special, the .45 Colt doesn't get much love outside of single action.

I purchased a CA Bulldog XL 45 Colt #74530 (sometimes dubbed the 45 LC) several months back. What a nice shooter! I shoot only my reloads (Titegroup-HP38-A#5-Bullseye) which chrono out to high 600s to low 700s FPS velocity. What I also like about this model is that it is a fairly new addition to the Bulldog line up. And being that, CA has upped their game in the fit & finish department. If you look at some CA models online (used via GB) there are usually tooling marks & nicks that make for a less-than-stellar finish. But mine looks pretty sharp. The first 2 numbers in the serial # indicate the year made. Mine starts out with "19" which is 2019. I think the earliest #74530 was made in 2018. And the mechanics are great! Since this was my first venture with a 45 Colt round, I lacked all reload supplies. It takes large pistol primers. I purchased new Jagmann brass from Natchez for $21.49 per 100 and bought some once-fired from Northeast reloading out of New Jersey. My projectiles are coated. I'm real happy with its accuracy and easy to manage recoil. Nice gun! BTW...see my previous post #22!

Back