Is there a discreet way to ask...

I wonder, if everyone knows it's a gun free complex, what is the crime rate in or near it?

I don't know the crime rate exactly, but I personally know 3 FSU students that have been robbed at gunpoint within 5 miles or so of campus in the last year. The BGs know that campus is a "gun free zone" so they take advantage of the stream of defenseless victims it provides.

firespectrum said:
....If I were to draw my weapon in a justifiable defensive situation would the landlord just be able to kick me out for breaching the lease agreement as some have suggested, or could there be criminal charges for possesing the firearm in the apartment?...
You really need to consult a Florida lawyer to get into that level of detail. Based on general legal principles, I'd tend to think it would only be a breach of the lease for which you could be evicted, and perhaps liable for some civil damages. But I don't pretend to know the details of Florida law.

It's their property, and you're signing an agreement. You're free to agree to terms, or part ways.

However, in my experience, even here in the very anti-rights Crook County, IL, the leases tend to forbid the illegal use of firearms in gang activity / drug dealing / etc.

So check the fine print--it may be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Remember that they have access to your apartment for periodic maintenance. Not much point in trying to skirt those rules, or you might be between a rock and hard place if one goes missing.

Hey all,

Long-time lurker, but first time post. I just had to comment on this landlord issue.
Here in Minnesota we have that covered:

(e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or
possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

Problem solved; move to Minnesota.;)

This is from the Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 2009 6th edition by Jon H. Gutmacher, If you live in the state of Florida and own any firearm it's the best $27 you'll ever spend.

Pages 94 & 95

Problems with condo's & apartments

Problem number one is when you live in a condo or apartment you must park in a common parking lot, go through common hallways, use common elevators, and have access to common facilities. By "common" -- I mean that almost everybody in the complex has the right to use it. Unfortunately, unless you have a concealed weapons permit, or coming back from a hunting, fishing or camping trip -- or one of the exceptions mentioned in F.S. 790.25 you can't legally carry while you're on or in any of these "common" areas, Concealed or otherwise.

Question: So how the heck am I supposed to get my firearm from my car to my apartment?

Answer: You're not! Go get a permit, or tell your state legislator that the law is stupid as written, and you want it changed. Heck, it certainly is.

Get a good safe, :D

They dont have to know whats inside and you dont have to open it for them.

And yes some apts just throw that into the lease around college campuses. Its on mine... and my landlord has that "NO TRESSPASSING violators will be shot....." sign on her apartment door. I hardly think she cares if I have guns in my apt.

Fiddletown hit it on the head. I have not had our lawyer check our leases in a few years, but as the landlord I have the right to restrict certain behavior or items from my property. I can not remember the legal terms our lawyer used to explain all this.

As a renter, I expect you to comply with these terms or leave the premises.

There does not have to be a given reason for me to restrict or require certain things. Maybe I do not like purple cars, but once you sign the lease stating you will not park a purple car in my parking area, you are legally bound not to park it there.

I would talk to the land lord and ask her/him why this clause is there and if there is anyway around it. If it was me, and you promised to park the purple car and cover it, I would probably agree. :D (I really do hate purple cars.)

firespectrum said:
So an atheist landlord could restrict a tenant from praying? Or from having a bible in his apartment?
No, because there are federal (and generally state) statutes prohibiting discrimination in residential rentals on certain specific bases, including religion. However, except in a few cases, like Minnesota, cited above, there are no statutes barring discrimination in residential rentals on the basis of gun ownership.

There was a discussion in a recent thread in which some posters seemed to be of the opinion that the right to self defense was more important than property rights (honestly, i may have misunderstood). This was the "gun show hipocrisy" thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401418&page=3 . Of course, a gun show venue is open to the public, like the common areas or parking lot of an apartment complex, but unlike the interior of the apartments.

I am not sure that i agree with that logic as applied to concealed carrying a firearm at a gunshow, regardless of show rules. However, if ALL available area rental property restricted against having firearms in the rental units, i would probably go along with the theory of the "gun show hipocrisy" thread and just keep my firearms under wraps regardless of the property owner's wishes/rights. However, if there is a viable alternative for housing that did allow me to keep my firearms inside my rental unit, I believe i would have no reasonable/ethical choice but to rent at one of the properties allowing firearms. IOW, i would find another place to rent & avoid potential drama/expense of hurried relocation.

So an atheist landlord could restrict a tenant from praying? Or from having a bible in his apartment?

An atheist who owns a piece of land can say "the terms for letting you live on it is that you don't pray here", and you'd be free to agree to those terms or tell him to shove it and part ways in peace.

He could also say he's only willing to rent to people who wear purple hats. Or that he doesn't want anyone on his property who doesn't swear allegiance to Hitler.

Or any other set of completely arbitrary rules. If you agree with them then you two can do business; if not either can walk away--that's the miracle of property rights and individual liberty.

It also means he can't demand that you let him smoke in your house, or that you let him by the car you intend for your nephew. Neither of you has to be agreeable or "fair" with your property.

If you run your business foolishly or set terms that others find offensive, you'll lose clients. But whether you're looking for a tenant who fits an exacting list of criteria so you can be best buddies, or a stark raving racist, or just flat out crazy, it doesn't entitle someone else to dictate terms you aren't willing to agree to.

That's the difference between us and the anti-rights crowd: if someone doesn't value what we do, we don't seek to ram it down their throats, we just want to be left alone. The anti-rights types want to force their views on others, instead of convincing people voluntarily.

That's the same line of reasoning that allowed racial segregation to continue in this country for so long. "They're not welcome here and it's my right as a landlord or business owner to tell them so and they are free to go somewhere else." Only problem is the whole community thought the same. If all the landlords and businessowners of a community ban guns on their premesis (which is very possible in a college town) then they've effectively over-turned the 2nd ammendment in that community. If a landlord cannot violate the Bill of Rights by not allowing minorities into his building, how can he violate the Bill of Rights by compelling a renter to forgoe his 2nd ammendment rights?

Tell the landlord you will not rent from him due to the clause, then go find a really cheap place to live, save your money, and buy a house. You make the rules on your own property, same as the landlord does on his.

BobbyT said:
...An atheist who owns a piece of land can say "the terms for letting you live on it is that you don't pray here", and you'd be free to agree to those terms or tell him to shove it and part ways in peace.
Or any other set of completely arbitrary rules. If you agree with them then you two can do business; if not either can walk away--that's the miracle of property rights and individual liberty...
Nope, it absolutely is not that simple.

Whether or not you like it or think it's proper, in every State, there is a large body of landlord-tenant law that among other things sets limits on what a landlord may require of a tenant. There are also federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination in the conduct of business (including the business of renting real property for residential use) on various bases, including race, religion, national origin, gender, etc.

On the other hand, except in a very few States, there is nothing preventing a landlord from imposing and enforcing a "no guns" clause in a lease.

firespectrum said:
...If all the landlords and businessowners of a community ban guns on their premesis (which is very possible in a college town) then they've effectively over-turned the 2nd ammendment in that community...
Nope, (1) as of right now, the 2nd Amendment only applies to the federal government; and (2) even if we get a favorable result in McDonald, the 2nd Amendment, just as the rest of the Constitution, regulates the conduct only of government, not private parties.

firespectrum said:
...If a landlord cannot violate the Bill of Rights by not allowing minorities into his building...
It is meaningless to talk about a landlord violating the Bill of Rights. As a private party, the Bill of Rights does not regulate the conduct of a landlord, so there is no way anything a landlord may do can violate the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights regulates only the conduct of the federal government (and in some cases the States indirectly through incorporation by way of the 14th Amendment).

A landlord may violate a state or federal statute by not allowing minorities, but not the Bill of Rights.

Back