Is there a centerfire caliber that comes close to .22lr in terms of "suppressability"

I fired a silenced bolt action 30-06 firing subsonic rounds. That was amazing. We were told to use a tree across the farm field as our target and pretty much the only sound you heard was the round hitting the tree.

I'm pretty sure you mean "Einschlag" or "Aufprall", if I may offer some wisecracking in German
Jeff Cooper wrote about it a generation ago ..... learned it on some of his foreign hunting adventures .... maybe the vernacular has changed in 30 years.

I'd go with .32acp/7.65mm-Browning.
Legal in Austria, quiet as heck...

Plenty of Walther's & whatnot available to supress.
Do a fine job on rabbits/etc close up.
Heck, for that matter, James Bond loved that caliber for decades.

.22 CB Long or Short. Heck, you just about don't need a suppressor. It's about like a pellet gun. One problem with these, however, is that there isn't enough "Oomph" to work the action of an autoloader. You have to manually work the slide.

Last edited:
.22 CB Long or Short. Heck, you just about don't need a suppressor.
In a pistol, it's debatable.
In a rifle, especially with a 20+ inch barrel, you don't.
One of my favorite rifles is interwar-era store-brand bolt action with a long barrel (~25"). .22 CB Short leaves the muzzle at something like 450 fps. It is stupid quiet. There's a click from the striker dropping, and a snap from bullet impact. If the conditions are right and the shots are long, you might hear a little 'hiss' in between.

Back