is there a "best" iron sight for aging eyes ???

This target was shot with a Shiloh Sharps 1874 45-70 B/P 540gr. Creedmoor bullet @ 200 yds using MVA Long Range Soule sight and globe front sight. Lower right hole was the "sighter" Iron sights can do as well as scopes depending on the sight and the shooter.

Attachments

• 100_1666.jpg
    100_1666.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 89
As I age, I find that the longer the sight radius is the better my accuracy is.
My favorite iron sight are those found on the M14.

As I have aged, and those open irons grew fuzzier , I found the best rifle sight to be a receiver, "peep" sight . Placed as near to the shooting eye as possible worked best. A Williams 5D Receiver Sight worked well on an older Winchester model 94 that I wasn't going to bulk up with a side mounted scope( that just wouldn't do) ). I haven't tried a fiber optic front yet, but it sounds like a good idea. Might be a big help picking it up.
What I like about peeps is you look through the aperture and only have to focus on the front sight and target.
I have found that peep sights mounted farther away from my shooting eye don't work as well. I have a MoJo sight mounted on a !911 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin but haven't made it to the range to actually test out the barrel mounted peep.
The peep sight I tried on a Ruger Blackhawk didn't work for me, too far away from my eye.
Gary

Last edited:
clear2target

I know thread is a few months old, but has anybody tried these for their reading glasses?
Last night I made my own from electrical tape, and it simply works.
I not only can see rear sight but I can now see front sight in focus with rear sight, and it's gonna let me shoot a few more of my rifles a lot more effectively. ....
They run 5.95 for 8 cling type apertures you put inside your glasses in the line of sight, and it truly works wonders...give it a try if your skeptical. ......

I just searched "clear2target" and am left with the impression that these are not made any longer.

I made a poor man's Merit Optical attachment with a hanging black lense into which I drilled a hole, but tape would be a good option especially if you have dedicated shooting glasses.

Hey no foolin, it really helps, and yes the Clear2target website is not working.
But there is a 1 800 #, 735-4422 try that.

DaveShooter: have you tried the "SeeAll" sight? Curious how it would work for us "more seasoned" guys, whose eyesight is fading as fast as dusk light!

Why I ask, is that I put "Tech" sights on a 10/22 and I found I can pick up the sight line very well with a close sight and, though the "SeeAll" is a different style, the placement on the rail is similar.

Back