Is the Remington 700 a bad choice?

I wouldn't call it a bad choice, and I'd buy one, if there weren't other options readily available. I don't consider Remington to be a top quality mfg anymore. Imho there are better options available. Tikka and Savage to name 2.

I can't afford to collect a lot of firearms, myself. What I do have is in the single digit realm. If I had the choice between owning any two model 700 Remingtons or just one model 70 Winchester, I will take the Winchester 70. Hmmm, I think I did that.

Is the Remington 700 a bad choice?
Well, what would you buy that's any better?
Ruger American? Nice rifle, shoot good, but nowhere near the rifle the 700 is.
Savage? Again, they shoot well, but are nowhere near the rifle the 700 is.
Ruger Hawkeye? Yeah, good rifle. Winchester Model 70? Again, good rifle. Are either of those better than the 700? No, not better, just different.

If you want a rifle that will last a few years, get a Ruger American or a Savage. If you want a rifle that will last half a century, get a Remington.

I had 2 unintended discharges with a 700 Remington BDL. One upon closing the bolt and one taking it off safety. My muzzle was pointed in a safe direction each time, but it certainly was unnerving. I sold the rifle to a friend and advised him of the problem. He replaced the trigger with a Timney. I inherited a 1962 model 700 ADL from my late best friend via his daughter. First thing I did was install a Timney trigger/safety. I now own a model 600 Remington carbine...it's also in the recall. I'm doing a Timney in that one too. Even if Remington's new trigger/safeties are indeed safe, the trigger pull and break are horrible compared to a Timney. YMMV

The model 700 has been used by military, police, and thousands of hunters and target shooters for longer than I care to remember. Of all the law suits Remington triggers have been involved with not one has been proven defective. Most were problems cause by maladjustments or modifications that were not recommended or authorized by Remington. I own three Remingtons and I have never had any problems with any of them. They are excellent rifles and the actions have been used for years to build long range target guns. That market has been taken over by makers of custom action built for target rifles but most are based on the Remington 700 action.
I am convinced that all but the last problems (the one that Remington recalled) are user error, lack of maintenance and modifications and have nothing to do with the quality of Remington arms. I am glad that people don't trust them because that lowers the price that I have to pay for used guns. They are, in my opinion, one of the finest actions available. If you wanta target trigger then all you have to do is spend some money on an after-market trigger. There are a lot of choices out there. Would I buy a new Remington? In a heartbeat! Would I buy one that is a morphed over Savage? No! If I want a Savage I will buy one but if I am paying for a Remington I want a Remington.

I bought a rem 700 bdl in 30-06 from a friend. He had owned it for 25 years. A few months after the transaction he frantically called to inform me of the trigger problem.

"How do you know the trigger is bad, Dave?" I asked. "I saw it on TV," said he, followed by diatribe against corporate greed. "But didn't you tell me the rifle was great and I wouldn't get any better trigger? Was it two months ago?"

I did a lot looking into the issue myself. I'm pretty convinced that the trigger is good if you keep it maintained. Any guns can be dangerous if certain parts are worn, neglected, or incorrectly modified. Give me any rifle and a file and I can arrange one for you. Can the design be better? Certainly, just like anything else.

-TL

They did have a problem with the bolt handle detaching. I saw one up close that it happened to and the silver solder had not been heated correctly. I doubt it was a large percentage of production it happened on or there would have been a recall.

I'm a Remington 700 guy all the way. Great rifle. Handle whatever rifle your thinking of, operate the action , safety & trigger. I like everything about the Remington 700 . Which model & caliber are you thinking of. My next one will be in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I own three M700 ADLs; one built in 1968, one built in 1996, and one built last year. They're all good, all reliable, all accurate, and as far as I'm concerned, all safe. My two earlier ones had their triggers adjusted by the local professional gunsmith I use and trust, and they are perfectly set for my hunting needs. The one I got last year, I adjusted the trigger myself; very easy to do with just one allen screw setting (and some blue loctite). This last and latest one I own has the newly designed trigger by Remington, and mine adjusted nicely, and as I like it. FWIW, I've fired this rifle well over 600 hundred times since I've gotten it, and have had no issues whatsoever.

I sold all my 700s, and had a bunch. The lack of a firing-pin block safety became a concern. Remington also kept cheapening the guns. If buying today, would look for a C action or nothing later than an E. B or C had best quality and finish.

Tikka T3 is a nice rifle for the money, also the Howa. A hardly used Win 70 Classic at a pawnhop might motivate a buy. Hard not to like the Stainless Featherweight Classic in .30-06 or with the 24" standard barrel. They are out there at good prices, like maybe $600 with a decent scope.

i just bought a rem 700 sps in .260 rem with a 1-8 twist 24" barrel to go with my other rem rifles. when you throw your rem rifles away, please tell me where so i can find them. eastbank.

Ill take one over a Savage, Leupolds fit on 700s 30-06. I have feeding and firing failures on savages. Magazine is to long.

I have taken a 70s a flicked the safety on and off over and over again, to see if anything would happen. There may be, but I couldn't make it happen.

My complaint about 700s is the safety is loud, you have to push on it, to make it quiet.

Winchester is made in Portugal, nothing wrong with that. I would consider Tika/Sako made in Finnland. But I normally lean to towards Americans.

Handles bunch and see what you like. But you sure can't go wrong with a 700.

I am curious what lack of maintenace people think effect 700 safeties. I took home that I suspect was never maintained in 35 years, was fine. Some dust in there.

I flush them once in awhile with action cleaner, or take them apart. But unless you get them dirty, I suspect must triggers go there life with little attention, and work fine.

I am curious what lack of maintenace people think effect 700 safeties. I took home that I suspect was never maintained in 35 years, was fine. Some dust in there.

I flush them once in awhile with action cleaner, or take them apart. But unless you get them dirty, I suspect must triggers go there life with little attention, and work fine.
That's​ is exactly the maintenance needed for the trigger group. Flush with action cleaner (degreaser) and do NOT apply lube.

In addition to that, if it malfunctions the first time, take the rifle to a smith to re-adjust the trigger, instead of brushing it aside. Wear doesn't cure itself.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My point was, it was not cleaned for 35 years and was fine. I cycled safety repeatedly before cleaning.

I am not sure what to make of the 700 trigger scandal. I watched the news pieces. Dunno. Whenever there is tragedy, it is hard to blame the victim, but some times it does belong. No one knows for sure.

Trigger pull and brake horrible on the 700? Your kidding, right? The heaviest pull on 700 that I have is actually a 788, just put a Timney in it this week. Very nice trigger but the pull and break on my 700's is awesome! Think I have three 700's and they all break right at 3# and there is zero over travel I can feel. I get this feeling that with a lot of people they just like to throw rocks at Remington. I'd have another Remington rile in a heart beat!

Although I haven't bought a Savage in many years, I have fired many in my gun repair business and noticed how much more felt recoil they had, compared with the well-designed Remington stocks.

I only ran into one Rem 700 trigger that released by itself and cured it by getting a Timney Trigger for it.

The Tikka T3 Lite, .243 Win, that I have is a fantastic rifle and shoots as well out of the box as any of my accurized Remingtons. The trigger is great and stock bedding is great. I've fired several and they all shot Sub-MOA. They're light to carry and easy on the shoulder. Barrels are supposedly the same as their Sako brothers.

Ruger Americans are also very nice, and well-bedded from the factory. A buddy has one in .308 Win that I mounted a scope on and it shot great.

My newest Rem 700 ADL in .223 Rem, that I bought at a discount store for $266 (with scope) shoots very well. The trigger is better than the ones that have an "adjustment screw" through the trigger that doesn't seem to adjust.

"If buying today, would look for a C action or nothing later than an E. B or C had best quality and finish."

Interesting. All my M700's are 1980's models one "B", and one "C". Not sure about a Classic in 30-06 though. Has an "A" serial number. Maybe late 1970's???? All three are good shooters and so far no trigger troubles. Knock on wood. :rolleyes: Nice rifle and they don't break my arches down on a long mountain hunt. Guess I'll keep 'em. :D
Paul B.

On the subject of the trigger I have my dad's 1983 BDL and entered the serial number on Remington's website about recalls and issues. Nothing came up. You may try that yourself if looking used.

Back