Is the caliber debate over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusComedis

Inactive
As a lot of people know, the FBI has gone back to 9mm as its preferred round, and a good number of PDs have followed suit. Also, the Army opened its MHS competition to 9mm, when it had previous been excluded. This has gotten me to think, is the debate over?

Along with their announcement, the FBI released their reasoning and test data.

They seemed to conclude that there wasn't really a great difference in terminal ballistics between the cartridges. Not the SAME, but similar enough that other factors were more important. I.E. shootability, capacity, and weight. They also stated that (A) there is no magic one-shot manstopper (e.g. guys have taken multiple .45s and kept going), usually expect to use multiple shots per target (B) in a gunfight most shots are misses.

In these, 9mm seems to trump all: easiest to shoot, and thus be accurate with; greatest mag capacity to account for all those misses; lowest weight.

Yet alot of people claim that the 9mm was "underpowered" in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and some units have gone back to .45s . I have wondered if they are overlooking that facts that ALL handgun caliber suck, as previously mention, and that the military only uses FMJ - sure, when you're just punching a clean whole in a bad guy (instead of causing a mini explosion in his chest), a bigger whole punch is better. My suspicions seemed to be confirmed by the fact that the Army admitting of the 9mm back into the competition (they originally stated wanting something "more powerful" than the M9) closely coincided with the announcement that they were considering standard use of hollow points.

So aside from specific situations ( the Secret Service using .357 SIG because they need to be able to penetrate any barrier/garment quickly and reliably on the first shot, and don't have to worry about capacity or weight, etc) does the 9 really offer the best combination of factors(and availability), or can the case be made for other rounds - for the average person?

deuscomedis said:
the FBI has gone back to 9mm as its preferred round, and a good number of PDs have followed suit. Also, the Army opened its MHS competition to 9mm, when it had previous been excluded. This has gotten me to think, is the debate over?

If the average person has the same requirements as the FBI, PD's, or the Army, then a 9mm might be a good choice.

Might also want to look into a Suburban, HMMV, or Police Interceptor as your personal vehicle if that's the case.

As an individual, I'm not forced to accommodate the lowest common standards as required by a police or military organization.

I would think a hit with whatever caliber you choose is better than a miss with something you can't control. I really dont care what the cops or some three letter agency carries, I shoot what I can control the best so I know when I shoot it will be on target and not a miss.

The criteria that defined the debate also "ended" the debate.

If we determine that we are only going to consider 3 calibers (9MM, .40, .45) and that all three calibers are functionally "equal" in regards to stopping power and then specify that low recoil is a primary concern then we have to, by nature of the criteria, conclude that 9MM is the preferred round.

However individuals may not accept all the premises that come to that conclusion. The debate is very much alive.

Sure so long as "the average person" "the military" " the police" are all understood to be separate entities with large differences in requirements within each of those subgroups.

The car debate is over too. The average guy needs a Ford F-150. No other car is needed.

As long as there is more than one of anything in existence there will always be a debate.
Now if you'll excuse me I have a dead horse to beat.

Yes:

.22lr is for expert assassins
.25 is just to make someone angry
.32 gets them a little angrier
38 special marginal man-stopper
.380acp same thing as 38 special in an auto
.357 is "almost" overkill
9mm - the perfect round, because nothing beats a fist full of 9's (except for 10mm)
.40 S&W - for the bad guy who just doesn't want to go down
45acp - the one and only man-stopper
10mm - factory loads are useless, but handloads will blow the doors off of a Hummer
44 Magnum - used to blow heads clean off of people, but now is too weak for real men who shoot 50 AE.

a lot of people claim that the 9mm was "under powered" in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and some units have gone back to .45s
No doubt guys in the Roman legions complained similarly about their short swords.
Missing with those "under powered" weapons is probably the real cause of the problem.

I would just like to point out that the letters F B I do NOT stand for

Federal Bureau of Infallibility

Note that the 9mm round that "failed" in the 86 Miami shootout met every SINGLE ONE of the FBI's requirements at the time.

Well, hey, its a new day, tis a new era we're in a new century, we have better tech than they did back then! Whoopee!

So we have new performance specs. And when some bullet that meets all the new specs "fails" in the real world (and it will), what do you thing the FBI will do then??

If their history is any judge, after a bureaucratic kerfluffle, and some reports by various "experts", they'll change the specs, again....

What is the best choice for a military or a police group, which includes large numbers of people with differing skill levels and training, and which may not put individual survivability as its prime mission may NOT be the best choice for you. I KNOW its not, for me. :D

I love how the FBI's conclusion has suddenly become that of some unquestionable expert to some people when, prior to this decision and according to the same people, the FBI didn't know diddly.

Standard bureaucratic procedure is to blame failures on something or someone.
Make that anything or anyone.
Maybe the Pinkertons need to be rehired.

While "stopping power" theory has always focused almost exclusively on "one shot stops", there was an interesting article posted to the web a couple of years ago that looked into what happens when the first shot doesn't stop the action?

What piqued the writer's interest was the obvious, "Geez, I've been shot!" stop that is completely independent of caliber or other ballistic considerations.
It happens often enough that the writer thought it skewed the results in favor of there not being much of a difference among handgun calibers.

When he looked into what happened when two or more hits were required to end the encounter, he found a definite advantage to big bullets.

I'm definitely in the boat with the "a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44 Mag" crowd, but assuming someone has enough skill to get hits with their chosen defense weapon, I still think there are advantages to shooting big bullets.

Is the caliber debate over?

It would save quite a bit of bandwidth, but no. People haven't changed - some accept other people's choices, and others are sure that they are the only ones that are right.

Not as good as Skans's answer, but just as true.

The debate will go on and on. Until Hillary gets in the White House and takes all of our guns. Then the debate won`t matter any more.

g.willikers said:
Stopping power and one shot stops = fighter plane and lots of missiles.
Nah, my preference is for a .40.

Millimeter.

The Bofors kind. :cool:

Near-unmatched flexibility – also works great against low-flying aircraft, and against most land vehicles and watercraft without fairly heavy armor. Can't find a good IWB holster tho. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back