Is The 458 Win Mag Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason he shot all those animals with a Model 70 in 458 is because he was issued it and told to use it. If you want the government to pay for ammo, you use what the government says to use. And comparing the 458 in the hands of an expert marksman to the same rifle in the hands of a typical hunter is not a fair comparison.
Actually, for more decades than the .458WM has been around, THE issued rifle for 99.9% of African game departments was the .404 Jeffrey.

The .458WM is a Johnny-Come-Lately round to the African hunting scene.

The default load for Jeffery's .404 was a 400grn/.423-dia RN bullet @ 2050-2100fps. Despite that rather tame velocity, it made its reputation by killing the Big Bad stuff right now, out of all disproportion to its "paper ballistics."

More importantly, for a .400-class cartridge the .404 imparted relatively mild felt-recoil, no worse than a .375H&H with 300grn loads. That's why it proved so popular with Game Dept personnel, staffed generally by skinny, underfed, indigenous tribe folks.

In his book on African rifles and cartridges, "Pondoro" Taylor cites the Jeff .404 as being "the elephant gun" in his time there, but also for rhinos, hippos, and lions. He also noted that most complaints about "stopping power" were due to either poor bullet-construction (a common problem back then) or poorly placed shots, not lack of velocity.

It was only in the early 2000s, when CZ was offering its 550-based Magnum rifles chambered for a variety of African cartridges, including the .404, that Hornady decided - for no good reason - to increase the velocity of its .404 ammo 250-fps faster than the original load with a 400grn bullet. Right up there with the 416s, like the Rigby.

It also needlessly increased felt-recoil. :eek: Ask me how I know. ;)

When down-loaded to its original specs with Hornady's RN or SP bullets (or any other modern high-quality .423 bullet), the .404 in my view is still the best of the .400-class of African DG cartridges.

Last edited:
One reason the .458 got popular was price, they were affordable.
When Kynoch quit making ammo for most big bore African guns, .458 ammo was available.
It had problems, Hornady fixed the bullets, different factory loads solved the ignition troubles. And the velocity went down to 1950-2000fps.
Now we have better, new powders. Velocity is back up.
Yes, 99% of the .458s never leave the country, but I don't think it is going anywhere for a long time.

Since this thread started out with a false premise in that the OP asked if the .458 Win Mag was dead then complained only about lack of reloading components, I'll close it now.

If any other member wants to continue the various big bore discussions started here, please feel free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back