Is the 45 acp "dead"?

the fellow's name was Lee Jurras, and his company was Super Vel. Not sure just when he started, but his ammo was showing up on the market in the early 70s, and was essentially the first factory produced loaded ammo using jacketed hollow point bullets.

and, generally speaking, it worked!.

this lead to a market demand for JHP ammo, which, eventually even Rem and Win began to offer JHP bullets in handgun loads. Prior to that, factory loaded handgun ammo came in essentially two flavors. Revolver rounds were loaded with lead bullets and semi auto pistol rounds were loaded with FMJ bullets, only...

handloaders could get and use jacketed soft points or JHP bullets, but until Super Vel "paved the way" none of the big ammo makers offered them in most handgun cartridges. There were a few exceptions, but "service class" cartridges were almost the last ones to get JHP loadings, with pocket gun loads being about the very last.

when all the usual options are lead or FMJ the .45 acp was a well respected round. In fact, back in those days, the .38 Special was regarded as a better "stopper" than the 9mm Luger, because the lead .38 slug might expand a bit while the fmj 9mm would not.

Today, many people focus on the size of the guns, round capacity and cost of the ammo as their primary concerns. Be thankful for the diversity offered today, at one time, choices were much, much more limited.

one note about the .45 costing more than the 9mm, aside from the discount due to volume, the .45 is always going to cost more than smaller rounds, simply because there is more material used in each round. The standard bullet weight of 230gr is double the 9mm 115gr, so yes its going to cost more...no one seems to mention that anymore....

Since 45acp is dead it's very fortunate that I still have lots of 25acp, 32acp, 32S&W, 32S&W Long, 38S&W and 38S&W Special to fall back on.

I keep my last 17 rounds of the original Triton Hi-Vel 230 +P next to the casket.

Hopkins & Allen Safety Police:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hopkins-&-Allen--800.png
    Hopkins-&-Allen--800.png
    938.8 KB · Views: 478
I don't ever see the 45 ACP as a major player in LE. It never was BTW. A handful of departments issued it, some allowed it to be carried when working for LE agencies that required officers to provide their own guns and a handful used 1911's for SWAT teams. But neither the 45 ACP nor 1911 pistols were ever major players in LE even when it was the choice of the military.

But it is far from dead, I still see it as being a strong seller among casual and competitive shooters. The 45 and 1911 platform is an excellent choice for many of the shooting games. In fact, it is required for some. The 28 ga remains a relatively popular shotgun gauge simply because it is required for some shooting events. Otherwise, it would have been dead years ago. That same concept will keep the 45 alive. Plus, it's almost a requirement to own a 1911 pistol in 45.

I don't see a surge in popularity if magazine restrictions become law. Those restrictions won't apply to LE or military. There was no increase in popularity of 45 pistols during the 1994-2004 AWB. If limited to 10 rounds consumers flocked instead to smaller 9mm pistols designed around a 10-round magazine. There are a few holdouts, but almost nobody believes 45 is any more effective than 9mm at this point.

I’ve been looking at 3 45 ACPs lately, two are 1911 designs and one is an American, all steel variant from the 90’s. I also have little interest in black plastic guns, but own a couple.

In the 1980s-90s a local PD issued, or approved Sig 220s in 45. From what I heard they were popular.
Just recently, another local PD, is apparently approving Sigs, and S&W in 45auto.
I agree that 45 has been declared obsolete, and dying.
All I can verify is that my LGS is still selling 45 autos and ammo.

Yes, .45ACP, .40S&W and .357SIG are all dead. This is true even though you can buy new guns chambered in those calibers and ammunition for those guns is widely available.

Of course, they're not dead in nearly the same way as .38ACP and .41AE are dead since you can't buy new guns in those chamberings and ammunition for them is very hard to find. :D

Perhaps I'm not looking at it the way some folks are, but I make a distinction between "dead" and out of production...

Lots and lots of rounds went out of production in the past century plus, and yet, prior to the panicdemic, you could get new made ammo for some of them after years of being "dead"....

I don't consider a round, or a gun "dead" until there aren't any more to be had, at all. And even then, sometimes the dead rise again, somewhat.

Is the Broomhandle Mauser dead???
Is the Luger??

Absolutely no one is making them today, and just about no one has for decades, but they are still available on the market. Is that dead?? I don't think so.

How about the .45-70? declared dead long, long ago, then it got a new lease on life with its centennial and has been in production ever since and that will be 50 years ago, next year!

I'd almost venture to say the list of "dead" rounds that you can still get is longer than the list of current "live" ones, except for the fact that more and more "new" rounds (that don't offer much that is truly new) keep being added....

The .45acp has been working for 111 years now, I don't see that suddenly changing anytime soon.

I'm not a hand gun guy--but I still have lots of them in many different calibers including most of the current favorites (except 40 S&W). My 45 XD remains my handgun of choice for home defense since it first came out.

The .45 ACP, for me, has two outstanding platforms:
1. the 1911-A1
2. the Glock Slimline G36

One an all steel workhorse, the other an outstanding CCW.

Man-card required.

Red

I don't consider a round, or a gun "dead" until there aren't any more to be had, at all. And even then, sometimes the dead rise again, somewhat.
I think when you can't buy new guns or ammo in the caliber, it's pretty much dead. Try to find a gun in .38ACP. or .41AE. You might be able to occasionally find some custom ammo maker cranking out .38ACP in by the box quantities, but you're going to be totally out of luck with .41AE.
Is the Broomhandle Mauser dead???
Is the Luger??
I think this is really more about caliber, more than specific gun models.
And even then, sometimes the dead rise again, somewhat.

How about the .45-70? declared dead long, long ago, then it got a new lease on life with its centennial and has been in production ever since and that will be 50 years ago, next year!
Yup, a caliber can definitely die and then later come back to life if the gun/ammo makers crank up production again.

Is the .45 dead?

Last I checked it is the second most popular handgun round in the US right after 9mm.

People like to say .40 is dead yet it is still the third most popular round after .45.

So no. It's far from dead.

I will die before my 1911a1 fails and my 45acp ammo runs out. i will be giving whats left to someone else for the next generation to enjoy...and the gun.
It wont die.

Is the 45 dead?

Not according to my grandson. He's shot nothing but Glocks and M&P (9mm & 40sw). I put him behind an old Kimber and he made the steel plates jump around - nows he's in love with the platform. I may finally finish off my old stock of 45aco hard cast.

The bottom line is this; The 45 ACP will be declared obsolete (dead) when the 1911 pistol in it's various forms is declared obsolete (dead)

And I'm quite certain that WE will all be obsolete (dead) before this happens.

The bottom line is this; The 45 ACP will be declared obsolete (dead) when the 1911 pistol in it's various forms is declared obsolete (dead)

And I'm quite certain that WE will all be obsolete (dead) before this happens.
And maybe not even then.

attachment.php

Attachments

• revolvers.jpg
    revolvers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 398
Back