Is the .260 Remington (or any 6.5mm) alive and well?

What about 160 grain ammo for hunting something larger than deer? What issues with longer bullets? If you want this capability should you stick with 6.5x55 Swede?
I'm not experienced enough to comment on this.

In general--6.5 is valued for it's mid to long range capabilities due to it's exceptional ballistics performance--I'm guessing that starts diminishing once you load heavy bullets--and then alternative calibers start becoming more competitive at the closer ranges I assume the bigger 6.5's would need to be used at to be effective on bigger game. Just a guess mind you.

kcub said:
What about 160 grain ammo for hunting something larger than deer? What issues with longer bullets? If you want this capability should you stick with 6.5x55 Swede?

The the 150+ grain bullets made by Hornady, Lapua, Norma or Woodleigh all have ridiculously high sectional densities. This puts them in the range for CXP3 game. However, even when loaded in the 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5-.284 Norma or .264 Winchester Mag, these bullets aren't travelling at super high speeds. This really limits most people to shoot under 300 yards to be effective on CXP3 game. The 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5-.284 Norma or .264 Winchester Mag are what I consider long action cartridges, so bullet length is not an issue.

I have no idea how these bullets would perform or seat in the short action cartridges of 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington. Nor do I know how the would perform or seat in the 26 Nosler or Weatherby's new (it's actually been a wildcat for over 50 years) cartridge the 6.5-300 Weatherby Mag.

When doing a comparison it is important to look at bullets that are equal relative to their caliber.

For instance
.264 (6.5mm) - 140 Hybrid G7BC 0.319
.308 (7.62mm) - 200 Hybrid G7BC 0.319

While its not uncommon for people to think the 6.5 Creedmoor will out perform the 30 cal offerings. People tend to forget you can go as high as a 230 grain Berger Hybrid with a G7BC 0.380. If you are going to compare the best offerings in each calibers class, don't forget to compare apples to apples.

The 260 Remington is a great cartridge, and so is the 6.5 Creedmoor. But don't forget their are bullets with better ballistics in the other calibers too. You need to compare the equivalents in each caliber, and not just look at the heaviest offerings like the 140 (One of the longest/heaviest bullets in 6.5 offerings) vs the 230 grain (also one of the heaviest highest BC offerings in 30 cal).

This is in reply to a number of different posts combined.

DocUSMCRetired said:
When doing a comparison it is important to look at bullets that are equal relative to their caliber.

For instance

While its not uncommon for people to think the 6.5 Creedmoor will out perform the 30 cal offerings. People tend to forget you can go as high as a 230 grain Berger Hybrid with a G7BC 0.380. If you are going to compare the best offerings in each calibers class, don't forget to compare apples to apples.

The 260 Remington is a great cartridge, and so is the 6.5 Creedmoor. But don't forget their are bullets with better ballistics in the other calibers too. You need to compare the equivalents in each caliber, and not just look at the heaviest offerings like the 140 (One of the longest/heaviest bullets in 6.5 offerings) vs the 230 grain (also one of the heaviest highest BC offerings in 30 cal).

However, there is a cost to shooting those 200+ grain bullets in any of the .30 caliber cartridges. That cost is recoil. I HATE recoil. Then their is the issue of velocity for the non-magnums in the 200+ grain .30 caliber cartridges. I think this paper sums it up pretty well.

The reality is the best choices out there for long range shooting are 6 mm, 6.5 mm or 7 mm (the BC on the Berger 7 mm 195 EOL is ridiculous). Nothing wrong with the 30 caliber, its just has too many inherent disadvantages.

Last edited:
Recoil can be managed, and is application specific. Just like with any rifle, you can greatly reduce recoil. Also keep in mind what you are considering magnum. Some of the guys pushing the 7mm 195 EOL are running magnums. Some of the 6.5 Shooters are also not shooting a standard cartridge, and it shows on their barrel life. Some people burning out barrels at 2000 rounds. Even if you don't think of it as running that kind of load, or classifying it as a true magnum.

My point was if you are going to compare bullets, then make sure you compare the equivalents. Which is one reason I left out the 7mm in the discussion, but also the 6 Creedmoor, and why I talked about the 200 Hybrid when comparing vs the 140 6.5.

The 6.5 is a great cartridge, I own and shoot one. I am just saying to make sure you compare the same standards. I really like the application, just don't compare a heavy weight being fired out of a magnum, to a middle weight being fired out of a standard cartridge and consider it balanced.

Doc, this is what I don't get. In your first you post a link:

DocUSMCRetired said:
May I direct your attention here: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/1...-the-pros-use/

In fact it is so popular that Applied Ballistics Munitions now makes 260 Rem ammunition.

Edit: It is also popular enough, that some of the more well known rifle makers are releasing semi-autos in 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor off the AR 10 Platform.

and then state this:

DocUSMCRetired said:

For instance

The professionals have weighed their options and have done extensive comparisons, which include the 6 mm, 6.5 mm, 7 mm and .30 Caliber. They have overwhelmingly gone to the 6 mm and 6.5 mm cartridges.

Geo - It was in response to different comments that had been made. Just trying to make sure that if you are going to compare things, that you balance them out correctly.

Like I also stated, I like and use a 6.5 rifle. But it is also misleading to compare a heavy bullet, or a magnum caliber, against a medium bullet if that makes sense. You also have to remember, are we punching paper, or are we hunting. Each has its purpose, and the goal was just to make sure that its a balanced comparison.

I picked up a Wby Vanguard last year in 6.5 CM. It shoots far better than I do.:D I have shot whitetail with it out to 300 yards with 140 grain AMAX with no problems. With steel, I have only shot it out to 500 yards which is the limit of my backyard range. No problem keeping it under a 1/2 MOA with factory Hornady Match 120 AMAX. The same bullet in 140 will shoot 1 MOA. This is a simple Vanguard S2 that retails for around $500. I have a $300 SWFA 12X scope on it. Amazing caliber IMO.

Back