Is shooting someone who is trying to beat you up self defense?

Okay geetarman, while your story had people getting slapped around, the self defense shooting was not for trying to stop the beating, but to stop a lethal force threat that came out during the beating. At that point, the beatng (slapping around) aspect of the confrontation was history as the situation obviously transitioned from a force situation to a lethal force situation.

The slapping around aspect of the situation does not sound like it would have been even close to sufficient to warrant the use of lethal force

Medical condition

I finished my CCW classes and we discussed self defense. I asked if someone (me) was taking a medication (blood thinner) and a blow to the head or body could cause serious injury or death due to internal bleeding was that justified. His response was yes.

Right, so the two intruders were shot and killed in self defense, but not because of the guy and gal being slapped around, but because of a lethal threat.

If this would have happened here in CO the guy would never have been arrested.

Several years ago, Dateline NBC (I believe) went on the rampage against the right to carry a firearm in one's vehicle for lawful protection while traveling. It seems that this guy wanted to fight with another motorist; and when he dove into the driver side window, and started pummeling the driver, got himself dispatched to the Promised Land.

The State Patrol found no cause to arrest the guy being assaulted; and this sent the anti-firearms advocates into apoplectic paroxysms.

apoplectic paroxysms.
Hate it when that happens.

If you have a pistol on you and somebody is trying to beat you up, you have to consider at some point he is going to discover the gun, take it away from you, and shoot you with it.

That would be a hell of a position to be in if you couldn't use it for self defense.

Back