Is PT a part of your personal firearms defense strategy?

I work out twice a day. 45mins of cardio every morning (mostly biking or jogging) and about an hour of weight training every evening. I did not inherit the best physical fitness genes from my family, as most of my relatives fall somewhere between heavy and obese. In order to maintain my BMI, I have to work twice as hard as most of my shipmates and only see half of the results that they do...

Such is life I guess.

I didn't start working out til I was in my mid-thirties. Wish I had started in high school. At my strongest I was 45 and benching 435 pounds. I was actually in the best shape of my life. Now though, it's 10 years later and my wife can't seem to quit falling. When she falls she usually breaks something and becomes total care. That means the gym is out until she can start moving on her own. I've just this week gone back for the first time in over 5 months, as she broke her leg in October. That's pretty much starting over for a couple weeks, but you get stronger much faster than originally. I'm now doing ski machine for at least 10 minutes, then hitting the weight; chest, abdominals, back, triceps, biceps and done for the day. I used to run in the park for a warmup, but switched to the ski machine for old knees. My BP is up for the first time in many years, but 5 months of nothing is probably enough to do that, along with all the stress of my wife, elderly mother, house problems, etc. Just a week later and already I'm feeling better. Working out is not just a hobby for me. It's now a necessity for proper health, and a decent stress-beater. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll be getting out my bicycle, also. That's probably the most fun you can have exercising.

I'm trying to get into better shape, but asthma severely limits my ability to exercise. Sometimes I can't even lift weights.

No, fast cars....

Short answer; NO. :)
It should be. Proper diet & fitness are good goals to have or use.

About 3/4 years ago I read a gun press article by a retired LE officer who stated a new or late model vehicle to drive is a good idea when available.

At first, I took issue with the remarks but as time went on, I saw the valid point the retired cop was making. A good condition or well maintained vehicle can keep you from being stranded or may prevent you from a violent crime.

CF

Spending time here on TFL is great exercise, my fingers have never been stronger!

Oh, and round is a shape!

Seriously, I get out pretty much daily hiking, recurve bow and firearms shooting, hunting, living in Alaska can be pretty physically demanding (big depending on what you do and where you live in Alaska).

Not to mention the other forms of exercise that I do; so I will not...

Weighed myself last night and it wasn't good. I hit 280, so that means I've gained 42 lbs since my son was born last march. It's time to save a few dollars and hire a personal trainer again. I also need to get my butt back into my submission grappling/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes again.

I hired personal trainer 2 years ago to help me get back into grappling shape after tearing my MCL and it was worth every penny, drop of sweat and muttered curse. I ran the quickest 40 yard dash in my life, 4.62 seconds, at 250 lbs. I was stunned at the results I got in 2 one hour sessions a week for 7 weeks. My cardio went through the roof and my training partners even noticed how strong I felt coming off an injury that didn't allow me to train for an extended time.

I've always been into martial arts for fun and defense, but being in good physical shape s an important factor, it makes everything easier. The more diverse your training the better. It makes it more fun and allows you to train your body to recruit muscles you wouldn't normally train. Looking good and strong is great, but functional strength trumps all else. Moving a person who is fighting you is incredibly difficult and you may have to do it in a self defense scenario.

Oh yes. I've been running and lifting weights since I was 18; I'm 43 now. The heart and also breathing rate accelerate madly under stress [particularly the stress of a physical or armed encounter] so it makes sense that if you're already in great shape you'll handle it better. Also, check out the "Captains Of Crush" hand grippers available at www.ironmind.com. These industrial strength hand grippers are tougher to squeeze closed than any you'll find at Wal-Mart..and my grip has never been stronger. Plus, what it's done to improve my handgun shooting is very noticeable. :D Give 'em a whirl yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I do it because there is the very real chance of having to go 'hands-on' with an attacker to get enough space to draw (or to escape).

BINGO!! That is exactly correct. Plus the fact that the unarmed defense may make the use of lethal force unnecessary. Everyone should know at least basic blocks and escapes. That and knife defense moves (I know an officer who will make that guy eat his own blade, while it's in his own hand, every time)

Besides, there's just something priceless about face flopping an attacker. I had one inmate jump at me at the top of some steps. I arm barred him and he rode those steps down on his face. Cuffing him was rather simple, especially since his shoulder was dislocated. I weigh 280 pounds, not what you want hyper extending your elbow.

I had another inmate that tried to slash me across the throat with a razor blade in a tooth brush. He actually cut me in the shoulder. I kneed him in the abdomen and then delivered a hammer blow to the back of his head. We both went to the hospital on that one.

The point is, when a use of force is necessary don't hold back. Nail him as hard as you can as fast as you can. Back down while he is still capable of bringing force and you could be dead. Dominate the situation.

I do PT just to stay healthy and in shape. it sure doesn't hurt the cause of self defense, plus it feels great to be in shape.

I need to start a proper PT regimen again. Fortunately I have kept my caloric intake and quality of food pretty consistent. However, with my new job I just stay too tired to really work out.

I have noticed my groups getting larger when I shoot. I think a lot of it is a result of weaker arms and hands. The more I worked out the better I controlled the gun and the better I shot. Less working out and less practice lead to bad follow through and form.

For those who say they limit themselves to one glass of adult beverages a day, you must not of seen the bottle a day for those who are commonly assosciated with the term PT. That, or you just a heck of a lot wiser then us :p

Anyone who has some health or weight issues and looking to keep some sort of good shape, I HIGHLY reccomend getting into a pool. I was on a swim team for roughly 10-12 years and it was the best shape I was ever in, even after almost 4 years of the military. It's low impact and you get a workout even if you have to take it easy at first. Plus, it'll help with your breathing control ;)

When I got back after my last tour I developed an odd heart condition and could do no PT. The only real exercise I got was two miles of walking a day.

I gained 40 pounds in six months.

Turned out the condition was treatable and I started the PT again about a year later.

I lost 43 pound in six months.

Being fat is absolutely no joy or pleasure. I don't know how people do it. I still had strength but could barely run and had no endurance. I could hardly bike either as bikes are not designed for 265 pound people. The bike would literally rattle apart under the stress and require constant maintenance due to me overloading it with my girth.

It seems to me to be a miserable existence. So I would say if you can exercise by all means do. I don't know if it will help your shooting any but it sure can't hurt anything.

Will, I hate you. No really good for you. I can only wish I had your dedication to really get back into shape. Retirement can be hard in more than one way.

Keep it up.

For the last 25 years, I've made it my policy to stay in good enough shape to do my age in straight, military PT pushups on my birthday. I turned 65 last February. It doesn't get any harder if you stay with it.

Now, I can do 100 pushups in 3 minutes and 15 dead-hang pullups. I'm sure that's partly responsible for the fact that I'm shooting better now than when I was 30.

You, sir, are freaking AWESOME!!!!

My P.T. program revolves around an over all life strategy as opposed to a purely defensive strategy.

As a service member, being "physically strong", and moving "further and faster" was a part of the job description.

Now that I am no longer in that line of work, and getting a little long in the tooth, I have found that I feel WORSE if I DON'T do P.T. than when I do. So while the intensity and time may have decreased a bit, I have increased the frequency, and do P.T. every single day.

Fitness is certainly an attribute in defensive situations, and any other physical endeavor, however, I feel the biggest benefit, and the MOST important, is in how fitness enhances the over all quality of life.

Now that I am no longer in that line of work, and getting a little long in the tooth, I have found that I feel WORSE if I DON'T do P.T. than when I do.

Yep. No question about it.

If I don't do my core exercises, I get lower back spasms and my flexibility suffers. If I don’t do my cardio, my abs disappear under a layer of fat.

In my experience, the key to staying in shape isn’t doing an endless series of isolation exercises, it’s doing a small number of compound exercises that mimic the movements you’d have to do if you really needed to perform in an emergency, plus the exercises you need to keep your core muscles in top shape, plus cardio.

For anyone who cares, here’s my weekly routine:

Monday and Friday:
Some light stretching, followed by one set of 100 pushups. Goal=minimum of 65 (my current age) in 90 sec and 100 in 3 minutes.
Nautilus pullup machine: 15 dead-hang pullups (knee pad locked down), 15 pullups @ -50 lbs, 15 pullups @ -65 lbs.
Nautilus crunch machine: 50 reps @ my body weight.
Nautilus lower back machine: 50 reps @ my body weight.
30 minutes on the treadmill @ 3.6 mph and 6% incline.

Wednesday:
Nautilus leg press machine: 15 reps @ 300, 15 reps @ 360, 15 reps @ 400.
Cable twists: (don’t know who made the equipment) 3 sets of 25 reps @ 10 lbs.
30 minutes on the treadmill @ 3.6 mph and 6% incline.

I finish every workout with five 3 minute rounds on the speed bag. That’s just for fun.

That’s it. I’m in and out of the gym in under an hour and a half.

Anyone who has some health or weight issues and looking to keep some sort of good shape, I HIGHLY reccomend getting into a pool.
I used to think that also, especially after having a pool from the time I was 12 until I was married. When I was a kid, you couldn't get me out of the water. But I went back to a pool at 48 or so and did nothing but laps for 6 months, rather than float around and pretend like some of the guys at our gym. I did them to absolute exhaustion 3 days a week to see what it would do for me. It did nothing; I lost no weight, my breathing didn't improve, and I didn't really even feel any more limber than before. Total disappointment. I expect it would have to be better than nothing, but I get better results with simply 5 minutes of treadmill and a workout. It must depend on age and body type, but I'm done with pools. I would tell anyone to try it, but if it hasn't done anything for you after 2 months, it likely won't.

Something for everybody

For those with movement difficulties I would suggest starting with some Yoga and Tai-Chi, also the "Airplane" exercises are good for those of you constrained to cubicles!

I was lucky to be in decent shape before a shoulder injury 6 years ago and surgery on said shoulder 4 years ago but what I learned doing research and listening to my Physical Therapy Doc's was amazing. My left shoulder is still an Achillies Heel for me but I am getting better daily.

Many of you feel the need to carry a CCW thinking your life is in danger, however, you can't seem to take care of your personal health which will probably be the death of you. Its not only a good idea from a tactical standpoint to do a little exercise...its just an all around good idea to shed the weight and get in-shape or at least do some type of minimal exercise to keep yourself in check.

I see guys at the gym who are severely overweight. I want to ask them, what was the thing that told you to lose that weight?
Didn't you notice when your waist passed 40 inches?
Didn't you notice when you couldn't fit into any of your clothes?
Didn't you notice when you lost two inches of your penis under all that fat?

Now their problem is they're so out of shape they have to use weights most of us would laugh at.
They're embarrassed by the fact they can’t do a single pushup or pullup. They can’t do bench presses with just the bar. They can’t bend over far enough to do deadlifts. They’d kill themselves trying to do a squat. So, they spend their time in the Nautilus room, because no one can see what tiny weights they’re using. I see them crank out 15 reps with light weight and then move the pin down so it’ll look like they were actually working. They get on the treadmill and mosey along at 2.5 mph and zero incline, sweating like mad.

It’s like timetohunt said; they’re going to die of neglect long before anyone can kill them.

For those with movement difficulties I would suggest starting with some Yoga and Tai-Chi,
I work out, so I don't have movement difficulties, but I am looking for a center that teaches Tai-Chi when I move, as I understand it to be one of the best stress relievers.

Back