Is my SKS crazy?

My Yugo SKS throws them like crazy. I try to be considerate at the range by putting something there to deflect shells. I had a guy next to me with an SKS once, put a chip in the checkering on the stock of a very nice rifle of mine.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone sporterized their Yugo SKS? It doens't seem like a good candidate for it with all it's grenade launching stuff. It's a geat shooting gun. My other option was restoring it and keeping it original.

Here's my Yugo. It throws shells like a champ, too. I wondered the same thing the first time I shot it and looked for the cases. It's like they disappear!

(BTW, the black stuff on the stock is dirt from when I, like an idiot, picked it up with dirty hands right after rubbing it down with linseed. It's all cleaned up, now :))

YUGOSKSL.jpg

Hey, thanks guys.
I asked the guy at the store to call me when a new shipment came in. Well, he was a very cool guy, and called me before any of the yugos hit the sales floor. He let me come in (with the employees) and pick one from the back room stash. :)
I'm thinking of doing something different with the stock, though, like maybe a light stain and a seal. I don't know...

What about a shell deflector?

You can buy shell deflectors for around $5-6 online, or just make one yourself with some sheet metal. The only problem is they mount on your rear sight. If you have a scope on your SKS, and the shells are really bothering you, it's definitely worth the money.

Last edited:
Buy this SKS, your ejection problems will be a thing of the past.

SKSMuzzleloader.jpg

Black powder muzzleloading SKS, one of only ten ever made.

Last edited:
Martin08:

18" at 50 yards?
That is not much worse than one of my MN 44s which has a shiny bore, excellent metal everywhere, using cheap Bulgarian ammo.

A friend who is a designated markesman (was on a military rifle team) did not know where some of his MN 44 shots went, from 50 yards on his small bean bag rests. I looked into his spotter scope and did not know.

My Norinco throws brass everywhere, no consistency whatsoever....I find maybe 2 out of 10 empties unless I have someone with me to watch where they go.

Back