Is my SKS crazy?

Wrothgar

Okay, I've got a Norinco and when it ejects the shells, it tends to throw them up about 25 feet in the air - is there a reason for this? Do all SKSs do this, or just mine? Why does it do that? And is there anyway I can "tame" it?

SKS shell throwing

The SKS's are designed to throw the shells forward so that during battle you're not showering you own troops with hot hulls.

I've owned a battlefield pick up and a Romanian sks and they all throw the spent sheels forward. If you'll notice they have a different sound when a SKS fires. Hard to describe but very distinctive when they are aimed at you
Sailr_2

... and be thankful that you have a Chinese. If you owned a Yugo M59/66 you might be posting "My SKS Won't Eject Shells" at all!

Be glad they go far away from the gun. Unless they are going straight up and landing on your head. Then I would start to investigate the extraction and ejection components.

Well, they're not just ejecting them forward, but they're going crazy high, which is okay. Only problem is that they're hitting the roof of the shelter at the range and then sometimes landing back on me, but that's alright :-). Glad to know that this is normal.

Based upon what you have said, I would think that the gun is in need of a clinical psychogunologist to see if there are some mental issues - or as you said - crazy - things going on in the mind of the gun. Of course, this is a costly procedure, and will probably wind up costing you more than the gun is worth. These things take time, you know. ;)

Therefore, just send the gun to me for treatment, and I will keep it as payment for the services rendered. :rolleyes:

The Doc is out now. :cool:

So True !

Quote: "... and be thankful that you have a Chinese. If you owned a Yugo M59/66 you might be posting "My SKS Won't Eject Shells" at all!"

LMAO, on that one:D

I have both, my Norinco never a flaw, but my Yugo loves to bust my :eek: with multiple symptons every range day. The only reason I keep her, is the work I've put into her. A beautiful weapon. Maybe someday she will come around.:(

My Russian shoots brass into orbit. I should probably get a new recoil spring for it. One day I fired about 50 rounds and I never found ONE piece of brass. I must have walked a circle 30 yards around.

It can be fun.................... try and shoot your empties before they hit the ground!!! I have done it a couple times, but I wont reveal the amount of misses!

Quote: "... and be thankful that you have a Chinese. If you owned a Yugo M59/66 you might be posting "My SKS Won't Eject Shells" at all!"

Never had that problem with mine.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

and be thankful that you have a Chinese. If you owned a Yugo M59/66 you might be posting "My SKS Won't Eject Shells" at all!

Mine only ever failed to eject if I engaged the gas cut-off. I wound up selling that one because I just couldn't justify a 9lb rifle that didn't shoot at least a 7.62x51.

Here's one Yugo that ejects perfectly, rearsenaled M59/66.

sks2_001.jpg

Here's another one ($40 parts gun) that had a very pitted bore and gas valve. It ejected when it felt like it and made nice 18" groups with tumblers at 50 yards.

yugo_parts_gun_002.jpg

So I put a Chinese barrel and gas tube on it. My Yugo-nese is a perfect cycler and 3" grouper now!

mongrel_SKS_009.jpg

my Norinco SKS throws brass up, foward, and to the right. At the rifle range, they tend to hit the tin roof of the shelter pretty hard, and come raining down all around me.

Back