Is it weird?

Except you did the math incorrectly, so your conclusions are worthless. By leaving out the mass of the powder charge you've omitted a material parameter for the calculation.

Using estimated weights of the same gunpowder (CFE-Pistol) and data from the Hornady manual, I get these numbers:

9mm 5.6 grains of CFE-P 115 grain bullet at 1159 fps = 3.24 ft lbs of recoil force.

.45 ACP 6.2 grains of CFE-P 230 grain bullet at 820 fps = 6.11 ft lbs of recoil force.

3.24/6.11 = 47%. The 9mm has 47% less recoil than the 45 using these values of CFE-Pistol powder.

The bottom line is that the 9mm produces significantly less recoil than the 45.

74A95 - what is the weight of the two pistols you used in your calculations?

The bottom line is that the 9mm produces significantly less recoil than the 45.
... unless the 9mm pistol is considerably lighter than the .45 ACP pistol which is often the case. Making a blanket "bottom line" statement like that is misleading.

As a general trend, the 9mm should have less recoil but it's interesting to note that the chart above shows one 9mm load in a full sized Glock having the same recoil energy as one .45 ACP load in a 1911.

Especially in semi-autos there are a lot of factors to felt recoil which are hard to isolate. The complex combination of ammunition, slide and frame weight and the recoil spring that stands between them for example.

Was shooting some hot +P 9mms the other day and I could really feel it in the base of the thumb. I think the slide was hammering the frame pretty hard.

9mm can exceed 500 ft/lb energy so it should not be a surprise that the nastier ones will be in .45 ACP recoil territory.

Frank Ettin has done a good job of explaining simply how to calculate for actual recoil.

You can see this here:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

As mentioned there is both actual physical recoil, which can be calculated and felt recoil. There are limitations on what recoil calculators can tell us. While the recoil impulse of a 45acp round is the same from a semi and a revolver of the same weight, how that impulse is transferred to the shooter is very different.

It's also the case that even in semis the construction of the gun can transmit more felt recoil than a person might expect. A 380 round can be mild from a Browning tilting barrel recoil action, but a lot stouter from a fixed blow back like the Walther PPK.

The article that is linked to earlier seems an odd one. It takes a round about way to get to a simple thing. It uses the device of trying to get bullets of the same weight, or close to it from varying rounds. It measure them by trying to chart how much the guns moved when set in a ransom rest and then fired. This method really can't tell you much useful.

Recoil charts are really much more useful for bolt action rifles than for anything else. At least to most of us. The best thing to do is to go out and shoot and see for yourself.

tipoc

No...it's just incorrect. Felt recoil depends on the weight of the gun the round was fired in. It's conceivable that you could find a .45 heavy enough, and a 9mm light enough to make the 'felt' recoil of the 9, more than that of the .45. But for real world scenarios, it's a non-event. Rod

Is it weird to think 9mm kicks more than a 45acp?

Rodfac is correct.

I'll just add that recoil calculations only reveal so much and that's limited.

Shooting identical rounds from a polymer framed gun and a steel or alloy framed gun will feel different. Not only due to the difference in weight but also to how the material of the frame reacts to recoil. Polymer frames flex in the hand while the weight of the metal helps to dampen recoil.

Shooting identical rounds from a revolver and a semi, even though the guns may be the same weight feels quite different. The action of the slide softens and dissipates a good deal of recoil impulse.

A set of grips can make an appreciable difference in how recoil feels. Grips that fit a hand will allow for better control and absorption of the impulse.

tipoc

"Felt recoil" has almost nothing to do with actual recoil energy.

A lot of felt recoil is in the grip shape and muzzle flip. And, for a lot of people, noise is a big issue, even with ear protection.

Is it weird to think 9mm kicks more than a 45acp?

Not really. I describe the recoil of a 9mm as "snappy". A .45acp as a "push". So, a 9mm could be considered as having more "kick". Maybe, kinda, sorta. ;)

In my hands, in guns of roughly equal weight, both 9mm and .45 move the gun the same amount. The 9mm seems to get there "faster" but for ME muzzle jump is about the same.

Since it doesn't happen to me, I have difficulty understanding how people can say the 9mm recoils less. I'm not doubting anyone's word about what they feel, just can't figure out why they feel it, and I don't.

I'm also waiting for someone to explain to me, in terms I can understand, how two cartridges with approximately the same muzzle energy can have drastically different recoil energy. Energy, not felt results.

Or is it one of those physics problems where, if you swim from one end of the pool to the other, then turn around, swim back and get out where you went it, the math "proves" you didn't go anywhere????

FWIW, Genitron's data base provides "Standard Free Recoil Calculation" in ft lbs. Comparing my four relevant pistols (2 9's, 2 45's), the data pretty well agrees with my 'feel' when firing:

Shield 9mm, 19 oz - 6.95 ft lbs
Stoeger Compact 9mm, 32 oz- 4.22 ft lbs
Springfield XDm Compact 45, 27 oz- 9.09 ft lbs
" 1911 Loaded SS 45, 38 oz- 6.81 ft lbs

Pretty much reflects weight/felt recoil common perception.

44 amp (post #13) said:
Now as long as Newton's 3rd law is in effect, recoil energy must be equal to the bullet's energy. (in rough terms, it is a little more complex, I freely admit)

It appears that you are confused about the differences between energy, momentum, and force. It's pretty much impossible to explain in a forum format, you'll have to do some studying on your own if you're really interested. Took college level engineering Physics and Statics classes before I was taught it a long time ago, it's taught in the advanced high school classes around here now.

Newton's Third Law has nothing to do with energy, it refers to FORCES. Not the same thing.

Here’s a basic explanation of Newton’s Third Law, notice how no where (especially in question 3, gun recoil) is energy even mentioned.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-4/Newton-s-Third-Law

44 amp said:
I'm also waiting for someone to explain to me, in terms I can understand, how two cartridges with approximately the same muzzle energy can have drastically different recoil energy. Energy, not felt results.

In a nutshell, recoil energy depends upon the momentum of the recoiling firearm. The momentum of the recoiling firearm equals the momentum of the fired bullet. Since momentum = mass x velocity, and energy = mass times velocity SQUARED divided by 2, it should be obvious that while a light fast bullet and a slow heavy bullet can have the same muzzle energy, the heavy slow bullet will have more momentum and thus impart more recoil momentum to the firearm. Given equal firearm mass, if one has more momentum (mass times velocity) it must therefore have more velocity since the mass is equal.

Since the firearms recoil energy depends upon the firearm's mass and the firearm's velocity SQUARED, the additional velocity imparted to the firearm by the heavier but slower bullet delivers more recoil energy.

It's pretty easy to plug some different gun weights into the formula for recoil energy using the same bullet mass and velocity (same muzzle energy) and observe the huge difference it makes. The equation should make it obvious how recoil energy is heavily dependent upon the mass of the firearm while muzzle energy is heavily dependent upon the velocity of the bullet.

The SAAMI paper on recoil energy is here:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

They go through an example showing how a 7 pound shotgun with 1975 ft-lb of muzzle energy (546.9 grains at 1275 FPS) has 30 ft-lb of recoil energy.

Notice how recoil energy is NOT equal to bullet energy.

Muzzle energy is kinetic energy, as is recoil energy. Kinetic energy is heavily dependent upon the velocity component, because it is squared. The fact that the bullet and muzzle gases have a MUCH higher velocity component than the firearm (hopefully!) means that the recoil energy of the firearm is MUCH less than the muzzle energy of the projectile. The mass component is much more dominant in the recoil energy calculation of the firearm due to the much greater and much slower velocity of the firearm in relation to the projectile.

Hopefully that explains how two cartridges with approximately the same muzzle energy can have drastically different recoil energy. The recoil energy depends on the mass and velocity of the gun, the squared velocity term is much less dominant than in the muzzle energy calculation.

There's a calculator for recoil energy here if you don't want to build your own spreadsheet:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

Here’s a couple of problems involving recoil from my 1962 Schuam’s Engineering Study Guide, notice how momentum (not energy) is conserved during recoil (as a sidenote, this is also the reason that a ballistic pendulum works) Pay particular attention to the last paragraph from the problem 20.30:

Both the projectile and the gun possess kinetic energy as recoil starts. The projectile, however, possesses the greater amount since kinetic energy depends not only on the mass but also on the square of the speed.

rp-1.jpg

As an example, I could weld a shotgun barrel and action to my 5000 pound Suburban and fire it. The muzzle energy of the bullet will be the exact same as in the SAAMI example, but the recoil energy of the "weapon" will be much less than 1 ft-lb. With my shoulder up against the back bumper when I pull the trigger, I wouldn't even know it went off.

Per the SAAMI example, shooting a the 546.9 grain load at 1275 FPS for a muzzle energy of 1975 ft-lb, the 7 pound shotgun has a recoil energy of 30 ft-lb.

Cut down the barrel and cut off the stock of the shotgun so it only weighs 3 pounds, it now has a recoil energy of 79 ft-lb.

Shooting the same 546.9 grain load at 1275 FPS for a muzzle energy of 1975 ft-lb, my "Suburban gun" would have a recoil energy of 0.04 ft-lb.

Using the USS Iowa (57,000 TONS) instead of the 7 pound gun in the SAAMI example or my 5000 pound Suburban gives a recoil energy of 0.000002 ft-lb.

If you were to (stupidly) build a 1 pound concealed carry shotgun to shoot the same load, it would have 237 ft-lb of recoil energy.

5 different gun weights, 5 different recoil energies for the exact same muzzle energy.

44 amp said:
In my hands, in guns of roughly equal weight, both 9mm and .45 move the gun the same amount. The 9mm seems to get there "faster" but for ME muzzle jump is about the same.

About the only thing that I can think of that would cause a lighter faster 9mm bullet with equal energy to a heavier slower .45 bullet to have equal muzzle jump would be a higher bore axis (bigger recoil moment arm) on the 9mm firearm.

Last edited:
Caliber doesn't seem to matter much to me with semiautomatics. I normally shoot big steel service pistols. 9mm and 40 and 45acp all feel about the same to me.

I notice more of a difference in revolvers. 38 feels noticably different than a 44 or 45.

Thank you for trying to explain it. Right now, what I'm getting through my thick (and admittedly undereducated) skull is that,

Energy is not equal to Energy.

Most of us should be using other terms to accurately describe the effect intended,

And, as I see it right now, with equal power cartridges (using ME as the measurement), and equal weight guns, recoil should be the same. but isn't, because ME should not be used to determine the available force, it should be momentum. ????

Sounds like you're still not real comfortable or familiar with the terms and definitions. I'll try to help make it less muddy, only way it'll make any sense is if you follow the logic line by line.

44_Amp said:
Energy is not equal to Energy.

Energy IS equal to energy. But energy can take many forms. For example, your 115 grain 9mm at 1085 FPS has 300 ft-lb of energy. If you weigh 150 pounds and stand on a 2 foot chair, you also have 300 ft-lb of energy. The AA alkaline battery in your TV remote has over 10 times as much, at about 3,700 ft-lb of energy. A gallon of gasoline has about 100,000,000 ft-lb of energy.

Since Energy = Energy, if you have a clever engineer to build you various mechanisms for utilizing each of these forms of energy to do Work, you will find that the AA battery can do about 10 times as much Work as the 9mm bullet or as you jumping off the chair. The gallon of gas can do about 300,000 times as much work.

If you use each type of energy to do the SAME amount of Work, the AA battery can do it 10 times as fast as the bullet or man jumping off the chair, while the gallon of gas could do it 300,000 times faster. Since Power = Work / Time, we would say that the AA battery has 10 times the Power of the bullet or man and the gallon of gasoline has 300,000 times the Power of the bullet or man.

44_Amp said:
Most of us should be using other terms to accurately describe the effect intended,

That is true. It makes it very confusing when I see someone post something that's the equivalent of "I took a frog from spaghetti to Los Angeles".

If I can't figure out that the poster thinks that "frog" and "airplane" are the same thing, and that "spaghetti" and "New York" are the same thing, it just goes downhill from there.

Energy is the ability to do Work. Doesn't matter what form it is in, 300 ft-lb of Kinetic Energy can do the same amount of Work as 300 ft-lb of Potential or Chemical or Electrical Energy.

Work is Force x Distance.

Power is Work / Time.

Force is Mass x Acceleration.

Momentum is Mass x Velocity.

Weight is Mass x Acceleration.

44_Amp said:
And, as I see it right now, with equal power cartridges (using ME as the measurement), and equal weight guns, recoil should be the same.

I believe that what you're trying to say is that it seems to you that given equal ENERGY cartridges in equal weight guns, then recoil should be the same.

Power has nothing to do with it unless you're using Power and Energy interchangeably.

44_Amp said:
but isn't, because ME should not be used to determine the available force, it should be momentum. ????

Now you're mixing Force and Energy. Momentum is used to determine Recoil Energy, which I think you're calling "available force".

However you are correct that Muzzle (Kinetic) Energy has no relation to Recoil (Kinetic) Energy because Kinetic Energy is NOT conserved in the reaction.

However, Momentum IS conserved, and through that we can calculate Recoil Energy.

I'll try an example, probably confuse you more.

How much Kinetic (Muzzle) Energy does a 115 grain 9mm at 1085 FPS have?

Kinetic Energy is Mass times Velocity squared divided by 2.

Easier to write it like this: KE = M * V^2 / 2

The ^2 means raised to the second power, which is the same thing as squared.

So, for the 9mm:

Weight = 115 grains / 7000 grains per pound = 0.0164 lb

But we need Mass, which the English system unit is the Slug.

Since we know that Weight = Mass x Acceleration, it's pretty easy to use basic algebra to figure out that:

Mass = Weight / Acceleration, and the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 32.2 ft/sec^2.

So Mass of 115 grain bullet = 0.0164 / 32.2 = .0005102 Slugs

Now we can calculate Kinetic Energy:

KE = MV^2/2 = (0.0005102 x 1085 x 1085)/2 = 350 ft-lb

Now we can go through all the same calculations for a 230 grain 45 ACP slug at 770 FPS, or you can just plug in the weight and velocity into an online calculator like this one and let it do the ciphering.

https://billstclair.com/energy.html

Either way, you’ll find out that a 115 grain 9mm at 1085 FPS and a 230 grain 45acp ACP at 770 FPS have the same Muzzle (Kinetic) Energy: 300 ft-lb.

Now since we cleverly know that Kinetic Energy is NOT conserved, but Momentum IS conserved (per Problem 20.30 in the Schaum’s Outline problems above), we can use that knowledge to compute the Recoil (Kinetic) Energy of the gun.

Momentum of 9mm = Mass x Velocity

Weight = 115 grains: 115 grains/7000 grains/lb = .0164 pounds
.0164 pounds / 32.2 ft/sec^2 = .0005102 Slugs
Momentum = Mass x Velocity = 0.0005102 x 1085 = 0.554 Slug ft/sec

For the 45:

Momentum = 230/7000/32.2 x 770 = 0.786 slug ft/sec

THAT’S IMPORTANT STUFF ABOVE!!

You can see that although the two bullets have the same Muzzle Energy of 300 ft-lb, the 45 has 50% MORE Momentum, 0.786 slug ft-sec vs 0.554 slug ft-sec.

Again, we KNOW that Momentum is conserved, so the gun that fired it must have the same Momentum as the projectile.

In other words, Mass of 9mm bullet x Velocity of 9mm bullet = Mass of 9mm gun x Velocity of 9mm gun.

Let’s say we fire our bullets out of guns of equal weight as you stated above. We’ll use 3 pound guns for both bullets. What’s the Momentum of the 9mm gun?

Momentum of 9mm bullet = Momentum of 9mm gun = 0.554 Slug ft/sec (the units can be reduced to lbs-sec where it is sometimes called Recoil Impulse)

Since we know the Momentum of the 9mm gun, we can figure out the Velocity:
Momentum = Mass x Velocity, so Velocity = Momentum / Mass = 0.554 / (3/32.2) = 5.94 FPS

Now let’s figure out the velocity of the 3 pound gun that fired the 230 grain bullet at 770 FPS:
Momentum = Mass x Velocity, so Velocity = Momentum / Mass = 0.786 / (3/32.2) = 8.44 FPS

Even though they weigh the same and fired bullets of equal energy, the 9mm is recoiling at 5.94 FPS and the .45 is recoiling almost 50% faster at 8.44 FPS.

Now we remember that Kinetic Energy (also known as Recoil Energy) = Mass x Velocity^2 / 2

Obviously, since the guns weigh the same but the .45 gun is moving faster, the .45 gun is going to have more Recoil (Muzzle) Energy:

Kinetic Energy = Gun Mass x Velocity^2 /2
For 9mm Recoil Energy = (3/32.2) x (5.94 x 5.94) / 2 = 1.65 ft-lb
For the .45 Recoil Energy = (3/32.2) x (8.44 x 8.44) / 2 = 3.32 ft-lb

As you can see, even though they both fired bullets with the same amount of Kinetic (Muzzle) Energy from guns of equal weight, the Kinetic (Recoil) Energy of both guns is much less than the Kinetic (Muzzle) Energy of the bullet, and the .45 has about 50% more Momentum and twice as much Recoil Energy.

Last edited:
I don't find the OP's comment at all odd.

The first time I shot a Kel-Tec P32 the recoil felt much more obnoxious than a 1911.

Skinny pistol that weighs next to nothing concentrating recoil basically all on the web of the firing hand.

Of course I can't carry a 1911 in a shirt pocket...

Felt recoil has little to do with the actual recoil energy. The same .357 loads create very different experiences in my trooper and my ruger, despite very similar construction and nearly identical weights.

Felt recoil all you know when you pull the trigger.

Back