• Maybe, but I need to study the question further

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • No, the US government should use force to keep the States under control

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee....I don't think it's the conservatives who are pushing for the mainstream acceptance of homosexuality, open marriage, abortion on demand, and lowering age of consent for minors in the media, in public education, and in religious speech (even to the point of opposition=hate speech).....
Gee, I don't really see the problem in (figuratively) bonking people on the head to make them realize the stupidity of hating someone due to the way they were born or controlling their relationships. I don't see the problem in teaching children that they shouldn't hate others based on the backwards ideals of their parents. Now it's even sillier to imply that anyone is trying to force a-words on anyone at all.

Lowering age of consent? :confused:

Is there even one state that has called for secession recently? If secession is a power of the states, as is argued, it is up to states to exercise it. No? Why? Because there is no good reason to that couldn't be solved by a simpler, easier, less dangerous remedy. Secession is using a shotgun to swat flies.
Two reasons, and really only two reasons. First the results/consequences of the last time were brutal and second the problem of sufficient magnitude to sufficiently propel anyone to try and with the prospect of it being worth it hasn't presented itself YET. And only YET. It very well may be soon. The problem that brings it forth in the first place is that thanks to the entrenchment of the two major parties coupled with the precedence of the 1930's, there really isn't much of an effective way for individuals or even states to effectively say "NO" to the federal government. There is no effective "or else" to telling them not to do something. 50.000000001% or 5-4 and they can do anything they want and you're SOL if you disagree, period. Last I heard of anyone trying was Louisiana being offered rebates for loss of federal revenue by Anheiser Busch to keep the drinking age at 18--but they caved.

Please Mr Neocon tell me where conservatives should go?

Thats right, I forgot. If you don't support Paul or secession from the union you must be a neocon.:rolleyes:

Someone show me where the smilie for stupidest thread of the year is.

You are right - this is the dumbest thread of the year in L and P. Just a fantasy for folks who want some bizarre, crackpot state to live. Probably with lots of guns and very, very tight social control over everyone who doesn't agree with them. As long as the majority has it ways. Wasn't the BOR supposed to protect us from the tyranny of the majority.

This thread shows the dark side of the gun world. Over focus on a fantasy view of the Confederacy, implied ethnic or religious purity, secession for establishing what would probably be a mini-Iran or Taliban like state.

Really disgusting. It contributes nothing to the RKBA.

Flame me and go buy an island.

Who wants that? I simply want for the rights of people to be absolute and iron clad not subject to nit picking sleazeballs making a living off of screwing me out of what God gave us. I want to not have to be at the mercy of a state I don't live in tell me what to do, and to have other states have as much freedom or more so that if my current state forsakes my rights and my ideals I can move to one that doesn't. I reject the idea that being screwed out of having as good a country as my dad and my granddad and my great granddad had is a foregone conclusion that I simply have to sit here and accept.

That makes me some kind of lunatic to you?

As my last post (post #81) has gone undisputed, I'll go ahead and use it the speak to some of the posts since then.

I agree. hell the founders told us in the Declaration of Independence.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. —"

They believed it so much they thought it would be even morally right to do so.
The major defect in the parallel between the oppression of the Colonialists and the government of today is that you and your State government have representation to effect a change. The colonialist had no such representation. Their voice could not make a change. They had no say who the Governor or king would be and no seat in London. You and your State government each have representation in the Congress and you have a say who holds the office of President. In short, they had no means to solve the problem, YOU DO, your STATE does. Unwillingness to participate does not justify taking US territory.

As for them being 'traitors' of the British. OK, they had no other choice.

The history of the U.S. is quite adequate to the task of dealing with the idea of secession. With the Articles of Confederation, we find that the confederation was to be a perpetual Union of the States (Art. XIII). That idea was in fact, carried over to the Constitution in practice (Art. IV section 3).

Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (Wall), (1869).

It is not a decision on who or how or why or when a state can secede, but it incorporated that as part of the decision on U.S. Government Bonds held by Texas and why White did not have any possesary right to them.

That one decision sealed the fate of all secessionists. It laid out in concrete terms how a State can rightfully withdraw from the Union, all based upon the logic of how they enter into Union in the first place. That is, it is done within the Congress of the United States to begin with, and so must end there.
That being true it is only accepted by those that also accept the rule of law.
The thing with secession, it carries it's own morality, and no court can eliminate that. I think if a state or group of states wants to depart the Union, they have a moral and ethical right to do so, court decisions notwithstanding.
The value of the principle of the rule of law is only valuable if it fits into their sophistry. If it works to make their point,
Quote:
Simply proclaiming you don't want to participate any more doesn't mean you have any claim on the US territory your on. And when that country shows up to take it back, that's not unprovoked aggression, it's an inevitable consequence.
That idea has no legal basis.
OH, rule of law respected suddenly, it apparently needs to be written down somewhere that if a country's territory is taken by another country, then it's LEGAL for that country to come and re-claim it. Well, legal or not, they will be coming because the invaders or occupiers have no legal protection as they are not citizens of the country coming the reclaim their territory, they are foriegn adversaries, to be killed unless they surrender.

Er, no, I mean an Amendment making slavery permanent.
It's really not about States rights or being a terrific freedom fighter is it? It's about generational passing on resentment about freeing those black people. About 150 years of passing on a tale of injustice put upon the south by the tyranny of the evil north. Hanging on hard to the belief that those slaves were theirs and they had the right to them, not letting them keep them was unAmerican and/or against States'. Acting out with segregation and poll taxes. Fight it.

Pass on to successive generations a spun tale of Northern Aggression. Forget that it was a rebellion to maintain slavery. We had the right (no right exists) to take American territory because they don't OWN it. We claim it so it's OUR territory now and we get to keep our slaves. (Of course we don't own it either but ignore that hypocrisy) For the US to come and regain their territory is TYRANNY. We took it and we say you have not right to take it back. Your laws and that treaty we broke should protect our rights although we completely reject your country and are a sovereign country. If you take back your territory it's tyranny.

That legislation posted to make slavery permanent was proof that it was not a high minded moral stand the south was up to, it was about believing those slaves were their property and human bondage was a state right.

Secession on immoral grounds is repugnant. What reason would there be for it that cannot be addressed via voter referendum, passing or repealing legislation, or Constitutional amendment either at the State or Federal level?

Will this question go undisputed? Post #81 is undisputed as it has thus far stood without challenge

I reject the idea that being screwed out of having as good a country as my dad and my granddad and my great granddad had is a foregone conclusion that I simply have to sit here and accept.

I dont know about your ancestors, but mine....
My great grandfather lived in a time when you could be denied work not only if you were black, but if you were Asian, Irish, Italian, Hispanic, Catholic, or even had a funny accent. He also lived in a time when there were no antibiotics. When you got the flu, you didnt call the boss and say "I'll be out of work for a few days". More often, you called the family together and started making funeral arangements.

My grandfather lived in a time when he often had to poach game just to feed his family. When he needed money, he had to resort to bootlegging liquor. The land was farmed out. Nobody knew about or made good fertilizers back then, and even if they did, my grandfather couldn't afford them. Were it not for the CCC and the TVA, his family would have probably starved. He also lived in a time when taking a job often meant exposure to deadly fumes, asbestos, and unsafe working conditions. He lived it a time that when we were at war, we put many Japanese citizens in containment camps, simply because of their race.

My father lived in a time when children often lost parts of limbs in farming accidents. It was one of these accidents that spared him from the Vietnam draft. He lived in a time of race riots, Political upheaval, a presidential assasination, and an energy crisis.

I dont know about you, but personally, I'm pretty glad we've got things as good as we do now. I certainly wouldnt want to go back to those "good 'ol days":rolleyes:

Interesting. My great grandfather on my mom's side was Irish and he was Henry Ford's foundry foreman. No problem there. Another most definitely had a funny accent being northern Scottish out in the middle of west Texas but had absolutely no problem being the first licensed funeral director the state. Another was half Choctaw and seemed to do just fine running an extremely good cotton wholesale business in south Alabama, supposedly racism central.

My grandfathers fed their families by going into the Army and Navy and their families never lacked for anything.

My mom grew up in the beef farming business and all her fingers and toes are all there. My dad's dad after being in WWII was the general surgeon for the Ft. Worth stockyards, and by all accounts did a standup job and few people lost anything under his watch. Too bad he died when my dad was 10. Not from accidents, not from starvation, but from heart disease. I would have really loved him. My grandpa Herb who my grandma remarried also was in the Navy in WWII and was also highly prosperous. Engineering was pretty bad before OSHA, right? Interestingly enough, not a scratch. Alzheimers got him at something around 90.

Next half baked misleading arguement?

Half baked and misleading? I'm sorry, guy, but I dont know what youre trying to say. I said I knew nothing about your ancestors, but I do know mine. I'm glad that your family was sucessful. Mine unfortunately was not. Are you calling me a liar, or just trying to start a fight? Personally, I dont want part in either.

Not meaning to insult or pick fights, I'm stating that even though there are obstacles and problems in every generation, being downtrodden by them doesn't at all have to be the way it goes. The notion that oppression was the way it went and everyone was bent over by it as a rule just doesn't fly with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back