Is it still worth it?

Agree Aguila.

I have three modes of reloading.

One, like you, is for cost benefit. It is purely a production run, with a few small tweaks for the pistols and ARs I shoot in competition.

Then there is the hunting ammo, which is both a cost and accuracy benefit with the rounds being tailored for my guns, but not wringing out the best accuracy possible.

Then the precision loads, that get the ladder tests and optimized for each firearm. This is mostly precision rifle, but I follow the methodology for a few of the varmint rifles.

With just about 900K rounds loaded and over 1M rounds fired, that 100K plus that I did not reload is almost all shotgun shells. I have no idea what my add for rimfire is, so I don't even count it. But suffice it to say, my $10K in presses, dies and other associated equipment was 1. collected over time and 2. has saved me significantly more than it cost. I am guessing, but I'd say over the 30+ years, it has allowed me to shoot at least 50% more ammo than I would have been able to if I bought factory.

When I shoot matches with prize tables, I am almost always picking up bullet/brass/powder and or trading for it, further reducing my costs. One reason I buy Sierra and Hornady bullets when I can is that I have picked up over 100K of bullets and or certificates from them off of prize tables.

I got into reloading with the Lee Anniversary Kit.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ech-lock-challenger-kit-(50th-anniversary-kit)

It's not a real durable kit but it worked with a basic O press and a rather flimsy powder measure that leaked with ball powder. Bought some used RCBS equipment and never looked back and sold the Lee stuff.

The problem is we are in a bubble and even used equipment is expensive and hard to find. Looking at Midsouth's website, I think this may be the best bang for your buck.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....american-8-station-turret-press-reloading-kit

I do prefer RCBS dies as they are better quality but a turret press is a big advantage over a single stage for speed.

I don't like the Hornady Lock and Load bushings.

You can mix and match die and press brands these days as they use standard thread pitch and shell holder.

Your best bet is to start with a used kit of quality manufacture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rcbs-reloa...877488?hash=item2659e416b0:g:LCYAAOSwUN1gEfds

I would not get overly excited and pay $400 for a used kit. You can be well under $200 for a used quality press and powder measure if you are willing to hunt. Pacific, CH, Herters, Bear and others are historic makers. Just make sure they take 7/8x14 dies and standard shell holders. There is non standard equipment out there from the 50s and 60s.

Getting into reloading may not be worth it unless you are interested in making your own ammo over the long term. As stated, just trying to "save money" is not a reason to reload. It will eat up a lot of time and cause you to shoot more testing loads so there is no savings.

When primer availability and prices come back down to Earth it will be worth starting with reloading. Until then, nope.

I personally do not see things improving at all in 2021. It's going to take until 2022 before the demand drops because supply is practically at full capacity right now and the companies learned after the last panic that they cannot invest in expanding operations because when there are no panics as those facilities idle due to the drop in demand.

So, the only fix is when people decide to stop buying at the prices things sell for and if people are still willing to pay $150 for a brick of primers, $50 for a lb of powder, presses for double their real value... it's going to take a long time before any of that changes.

I've reduced my shooting and buying and my advice for others who want to shoot affordably is to get into black powder and making their own percussion caps.

For many shooters (myself included), reloading is primarily (if not only) about cost.
Never realized that... I know reloading allows me to shoot more, but if I never liked to reload, I probably wouldn't do it. It's a hobby to me, not a 'duty' so to speak. Ie. it's fun. But then I am not a competitive shooter either which would take the 'fun' out of shooting for me. As you say, different strokes for different folks. :)

I think the shortage has been well-explained without resorting to conspiracy theories. It simply is a perfect storm situation that is creating more demand that there is supply:

1. The pandemic has curtailed foreign supplies that used to be a big part of the ammunition and component market. U.S. factories were never sized to handle both the domestic and import market volumes, even during normal demand times.
  2. There were what is now estimated by the NSSF, 8.4 million first-time gun buyers brought into the fold in all of 2020, and particularly since the start of the violent protests last year, and all are wanting to purchase ammunition (the NRA says they are now getting about 35,000 new members a month as these new buyers are encouraged by the political climate to join the association).
  3. Manufacturers have no interest in investing in adding production capacity because they did that in the last shortage and got burned on their investment when market demand dropped back to normal after the last administration was elected (the mountains of ammo that AB described that backed up then).
  4. Instead of increasing capacity, the ammunition makers, unlike the reloading tool makers, are figuring out how to run 24/7 despite the pandemic and that is sucking up the brass, bullets, powder, and primers that are normally available for handloaders when the ammo line is running a normal schedule.
  5. When a shipment becomes available, people buy more than they normally would because they fear they won't be able to get more when they next want some, and, even though we call that hoarding, it is rational to believe there won't be availability when they next need it. Plus there are those trying to get rich on the auction sites who grab the rest.

If you want to read or hear about it directly for yourself, here are some resources:

Item 1:https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2020/10/16/covid-19-drags-down-ammo-imports-leaving-bullet-shelves-bare/

Item 2:https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2020/11/19/president-elect-biden-brings-a-boost-to-gun-sales/?sh=46246726258f
https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/05/21-million-background-checks-and-8-million-new-gun-owners/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5E7LKmz0w

Item 3:https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2020/08/18/amid-booming-gun-and-ammo-sales-arms-makers-aim-not-to-get-burned-again/

Item 4: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/12/17/the-great-ammo-shortage-of-2020-when-will-it-end/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJKovIg&feature=emb_imp_woyt

Item 5:https://www.wcax.com/2020/10/15/nationwide-ammo-hoarding-prompts-local-stores-to-set-caps/

Last few shortages (2009, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas etc) there seemed to be a shortage of both guns and ammo. This time I can find darn near any new gun I want. Just seems strange to me that I can go down to the big box sports store and the shelves and cases are packed with pistols/rifle/shotguns but the ammo shelves are bare.

I would wait till things settle down and prices are back down. But then I would say stock in plenty of components slowly over a period of time to avoid future craziness. This will give you plenty of time to research and learn, also accumulate some reloading manuals and study them thoroughly since I don’t think there is any shortage of them available.

Where is the stuff?

This will pass and I hope prices and availability return to "normal".

Re reloading~
IO find it quite relaxing and primarily do same for precision/consistency purposes.
The economic benefit is merely a plus.

I do load for quite a number of wildcat cartridges as well.

There were what is now estimated by the NSSF, 8.4 million first-time gun buyers brought into the fold in all of 2020, and particularly since the start of the violent protests last year, and all are wanting to purchase ammunition (the NRA says they are now getting about 35,000 new members a month as these new buyers are encouraged by the political climate to join the association).

I agree with much of what you are saying but disagree with a lot of it. Conspiracy theories? Unfortunately many political facts are not conspiracy theories at all but true facts.
But since Political facts will go to censorship and threats of banning on this forum, only the status quo of media can be debated. I will honor the FLF rules and not discuss any Political facts. But sorry if I do not agree with your views especially since Politics are in FACT the heart of the current ammo shortage. And when you mention riots you obviously mean BLM riots which BLM is indeed a Political organization.
And please you opened up door on the word "Politics" and I am only responding to your comment. Thank you for your Opinion.

Last edited:
Get what you can now at reasonable prices and then wait out the rest. Midway has a few Carbide die sets available for $62.00, this is high as the price is usually in the $40 range for their 4 die carbide sets but with free shipping it really isn’t that bad.
If any of those dies might work for something you plan on loading for I would order them quickly, they don’t stick around.
You should be able to pick up a tumbler (wet or dry) whatever you plan on using, scales and powder measures for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Might be a great time to buy used reloading gear!

I've been watching an on-line auction that has some really good buys on used reloading gear. Yeah components are hard to find, but the gear not so much.
Gear up now and start loading when component prices are back down.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Some but not all equipment, some presses are going for a premium.
Powder measure's like the Lyman 55 have shot up in price
since Lyman discontinued making that model. A great measure by the way.
Some items are really good buys, but you have to know what's good and not
so good.

Carl the Floor Walker said:
And please you opened up door on the word "Politics" and I am only responding to your comment. Thank you for your Opinion.

And I was only listing what is said in the articles and video I linked to. Mentioning that politics influence decision-making is non-controversial, as persons of all political stripes believe it. It is not the same as presenting or commenting on or championing a political person or political point of view, which is where one easily runs afoul of the board rules.

In particular, follow the video link and listen to what Larry Keane of the NSSF is saying in the interview and see what you think. If you have access to supportable facts to the contrary and that are not just opinion or hearsay, you can always PM them to me without violating board rules. In the meanwhile, though, Occam's Razor says it is just market forces.

Keep an eye out for estate sales or someone selling used equipment as one lot. Those sales may include powder and components.

Having been a reloader since '76 has given me a lot of time to watch the trends and to develop attitudes and practices that have allowed me to get through the tough times. This one is no exception.

All of my equipment has long since been paid for and amortized down to zero. It no longer costs me anything. I am full up on ammunition for all of the calibers that I shoot. Right now, I have a lot of ammo, and the components to make a lot more.

So, I'm doing OK. But, I don't carry a lot of optimism that it will stay that way, or that things will get better, even in the long run. Just a feeling that I have in my gut; I hope that I'm wrong.

Normally, I'd encourage anyone to get into reloading. I've literally saved thousands of dollars in ammo costs over the years, and it's a hobby that I've grown to enjoy as much as shooting itself. But, my attitude is different today. I wouldn't encourage anyone to get started in reloading right now.

Instead, I'd encourage them to start watching Bob Ross videos.

Last edited:
Absolutely still worth it. Bought some mixed range 9mm & 45ACP from a LGS that has a small shooting range last Saturday & loaded 200 of each yesterday using existing components. Was a few more SP Blazer cases than I expected but when combined with by bag of other SP 45's I made another run & loaded all of them too-just have to keep the brass separate when shooting. Reloading has been keeping me shooting more & better for years & glad I started back when I did-looking at starting to reload 410 shells that the wife just started shooting too.

But my question is about starting from scratch right now. Of course those of you who've been doing it for years are ahead of the game.

Bottom Gun I've done very well at estate sales in the last few years.
Last day left overs are the best buy, but some times a bundling deal works to your
advantage.
And it is to your advantage to "know" what your buying. Sometimes the estate mgr.
has no idea what they are selling and will give great prices on very nice equipment.

Getting started now would be hard & expensive to do. You want to buy when the prices are low. Right now they are not only expensive but in most cases they are nonexistent, I mean you can't find reloading supplys anywhere.
But this is one of the reasons to reload. Most reloaders don't go without when times like this get tough. We have ammo to shoot even in tough times because we have learned to hold some back.
Right now I'm not reloading as much as I did before the panic but I can still reload for something to shoot.

Back