Is it necessary to use scope mounting kit?

How much peace of mind do you want? Some will screw one down, align by eye, some use blue LocTite, some don't. The most basic methods work for many without problem. Others want to know they did it exactly right. It's less about what is really necessary or more abut what seems right to you.
Myself, I use a Wheeler kit and spend twice as long as most and prolly get nothing more for it than the guy that just screws it down. But I like my way.

99% will mount right up. The only one I had that wouldn't was on a BAR and a high priced German scope didn't have enough adjustment, had to put on a Leupold scope. It ain't rocket science. Any problems I saw wouldn't have been solved with a kit. Just based on my experience.

I in the 'no kit needed' camp. Save yourself some money, go to lowes or Home Depot buy a 1" dowel and a cheap level: done. I've been using the ol' piece of plastic baling twine (easy to see) with a weight on the end to check cant (with a level on the rifle). If you haven't turned many bolts and can't tell when one is tight enough or going to strip; buy a torque wrench (in/lb).

It's also very dependent on your set up, with a 1piece base it's pretty difficult to misalign the rings. The last scope I mounted had a bubble level in it (konus M30). What about the old leupold standard bases with windage adjustment? Aren't those stressing the tube? I can't think of a single modern scope that won't have enough internal adjustment for any slight errors you may make!

The people who say you must mount them the 'professional way' with a kit must be way better shooters than I am.

My shooting buddy always takes his guns to a local store to get his scopes professionally mounted and laser bore sighted (I just look down the bore); last time we both went out to sight in new setups he was way further off initially than I was.
:D

We all have a "kit"

Again, exactly what are we calling a "Kit" ???

By my measure, If you are using the same procedure and tools, as well as some dedicated tools, then that is "your" kit. .... ;)

As far as going way out and spend a bunch of money for a specific kit, you don't need to. Two of my dedicated tools are alignment bars, lapping bars and lapping compound. All else are my regular smithing tools, including my cheap pocket levels. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Normally, I would lock this thread as a useless resurrection of a 4 year old argument.

However, it is interesting to note my comments from 2010, and relate that today I do own a scope mounting kit.

Why? Well, I had a scope that wouldn't hold under recoil. It is a 7mm-08 Encore Pro Hunter handgun, topped with a Burris 3-12x scope.

I thought maybe I didn't have the proper torque, so I used an automotive in-lb torque wrench. They suck for the purpose, let me tell you.

So, I went looking for a dedicated firearms type torque driver. For the price comparison, I got the whole scope mounting kit including the driver for about $20 more than the driver alone.

The memory of this very thread was the biggest reason. Maybe I do need a kit, I thought. Maybe they were right, I said.

Turns out that, nope, the gun just has too much recoil for one set of rings to hold... or at least one set of Warne rings. They didn't need to be lapped and the proper (or improper) torque didn't make any difference. A second set of rings is what was needed. They also didn't need to be lapped.

Since I know have the kit, I have checked every install I've done since, 3 total. One cheap set of rings COULD have been lapped for contact area, but I didn't bother because they hold just fine with the proper torque. The other two sets of rings (both DNZ Game Reapers) needed no lappng either and hold just fine with the proper torque.

So, I used no kit for years and now I have a kit. What do I say today? You still don't need a kit. I recommend a good torque driver, but if you're not a mindless gorilla, you really don't need that either.

I'll go you one better. If you don't know what you're doing, sure get the kit. Get the kit that has a video explaining how to do it, and a FAT wrench. Those two pieces are likely the only thing in the kit you'll ever need or use unless you're looking to squeeze that last 1/64th of an inch out of your 50 BMG groupings at 1000 yards. (Figuratively anyway.) I have a kit. I've never lapped rings. I've never used the stupid leveling gimmick that came in the kit. I've watched the video, I've used the wrench and bits.

For the price difference between the kit and the wrench by itself, the monetary difference is close enough to be worth the peace of mind I got from the video. Which isn't to say I learned enough, but I FELT better enough.

Back