Is it manly to carry a Lady Smith?

Tman

Was at the gun show looking at a 3" 357Mag Lady smith. Great looking gun, felt nice in my hands. I think it was stainless (?) matte finish with rosewood grips. How many guys out there carry a lady smith and does it shoot well (balance, recoil, etc.).

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. :) (Mine's a 2" barrel.)

Unless it is new, in which case, my answer is NO! :mad:

Used? Pre-agreement? Very nice piece. No one will make fun of you if you point it at them.

New? Forget it. I'd rather send a check to Bin Laden.:rolleyes:

That's a great revolver, I'd get one in a heartbeat if I ever saw a good deal on one. On my list of "Guns To Get" is a 3913LS, the LadySmith variant of the single-stack 9mm Model 3913. I bet the perp wouldn't stick around to make fun of you for carrying a handgun that says "LadySmith" on the side.

Nothing wrong with a Lady Smith at all...

Heck, in a pinch I see nothing wrong with suffocating a bad guy with a Kotex, either.

Hey dude... this is the 21st century!

lendringser,

What's the difference between the 3913LS and the 3913 and 3953TWS models. The Ladysmith line are very nice. I really like the 65LS.

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

The 3913 is the plain-jane version with a straight dust shield and black grips. The 3913LS has dove-grey grips and a tapered dust shield, making the gun more streamlined and slim-looking. The 3913TSW looks like the base 3913, but has a big and ugly accessory rail mounted underneath its dust shield. All three are very good carry pistols...I just like the looks of the LS variant best.

I know a cop who's 6' 3", 245 lbs (power lifter). He gets 5 O'clock shadow by 9:30, and sounds like he's talking from the bottom of a barrel. He carries a .357 Ladysmith. (Likes the shrouded ejector).
Some gunsmith commando made a comment about carrying a woman's gun. Dick the Bruiser leaned over and said "Make another crack like that, and I'll flounch over and scratch your eyes out" Shut HIM up.

I don't think any bad guys would be laughing if one was stuck in their face in order to get them to cease and desist.:D

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."
-Jeff Cooper, "Cooper vs. Terrorism", Guns & Ammo Annual, 1975

The "backup" to my "Always" S&W 442 is a 642 "LadySmith"...haven't caught any grief--YET--over it...then again, could be because, at 5'10" and 270+ AND with a full beard, I look like a bouncer at a biker bar...naahhh, I'm sure that's NOT the reason...GOT to be the "Progressive" times we live in!!! BTW, Lendringser, there is a version of the 3913 that has the tapered dust cover like the "LS", but DOES NOT have the "LS" ANYWHERE on the piece...it's the 3913 "NL", for "NO LOGO"...or is it "NO LADYSMITH"???...anyway, ANY 3913 is a nice lil' piece!!!....mikey357

There are several different model "Lady Smith" pistols cataloged.

I believe three are based on the Md. 60 frame, one on the "K" frame and one md. 39 varient. The only difference in the revolvers is a nicer finsih, fancier grips, "Lady SMith" logo and a nice case.

I work in a gun store and have sold several feminine guns to masculine guys. It's not like cross dressing. The fit of the grip is the main reason for thier choice.

If you are worried that someone might think you are "testosterone challeneged" by carrying one of these models just engrave your favorite females name on the gun and introduce the perp to your girl.

BTW the K frame .357 "masculin" version of the Ladysmith is a MD. 65. I have two of these and a Miami classic rig to carry them in. The only other .357 that balances better for me is a md.27 3 1/2".

Remember to pick the gun that fits your hand and practice a lot.

Cheers,

ts

I don't get much grief when I carry my Ladysmith...but when I carry my TransexualSmith, I get some interesting looks....Right now I'm looking a pre-agreement hermaphroditeSmith, but not sure if it's the gun for me....

"How many guys out there carry a lady smith and does it shoot well (balance, recoil, etc.)."

I do! It is a fine gun. Mine is a mod 65LS that I picked up back in 95, my first pistol. It had the older small/smooth rosewood grips If this one has those (newer models have the finger groove grips), put on a set of beefier grips. That was my only problem. Whose wise idea was it to put the old standard smooth grips on a 357? I modified a set of Hogue's to suite me and love it. Was my primary carry gun for quite a while.

-Wheelgun

Tman,

I think don't shoot it's me, might be on to something. S&W is a su** a$$ PC MA company, you might check to see if they have a "Lesbian trapped in a man's body Smith" model.

Yeah, yeah I know, being hetero doesn't make you manly. So for anyone tempted to flame me for this, lighten up and get a sense of humor.;)

"If someone comes at you with a knife or gun, say, 'I know you're upset.' We all want to be valued as human beings."**

-- Jessica Flagg, spokeswoman for the Thousand Mom March, Washington, DC, May, 2000

** unknown if this was tried on September 11

I have a model 36 chiefs special that was made in 1974.

Currently the model 36 has morphed to the lady smith, I think its now model 39.

Its a round butt J frame 5 shot revolver.

In 1974 it was the chiefs special, 2001 Lady smith?

The gun is the same but the marketing name has changed.:rolleyes:

I started to take offense at "lonegunman" until I reread the reply. I see that he said "BAD" guy, not "BALD" guy.

I wish I had gotten the ladysmith. My 3 in mod. 65 hangs up in a belt slide type rig. I have rounded the edge of the ejector lug & it is much better but a full shroud would have been better like my mod 19. Wonder if a steel brush in a dremel tool would take off the LADYSMITH logo?

If it ain't manly, then...

I'm in trouble... I just got my Michigan Concealed Carry stuff taken care of, and by next month, I'll have a permit...

my carry gun is gonna be a 5 shot, stainless, 2" bbl. LadySmith in .357...

I just can't find one more concealable, and as well built, for the price...

I"m 6'-3", 280 lbs, and built like a brick ****house... as "manly" as they come... and I don't think it "unmanly" to carry a LadySmith...

Call me stupid, homophobic, crazy, or anything other thing you desire. I will not carry a gun that is designed for a woman. Sure I know it is the same thing as any other gun but it was designed and marketed for women, hence the name "LadySmith". I am not a woman so I will not buy a woman's gun. Oh yes, I would rather have a LadySmith than not a have a gun at all but I am not forced into the decision so I will buy a "man's gun". :barf:

Back