Is it legal to give a gun to my father?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamara
That is some singularly lousy advice, there. You just suggested he commit a federal felony. Did you mean to do that?

You must have not been up on all the laws when you posted this because I would not have done what you are suggesting.
I would have made it legal and gone thru the BATF not backassward like you suggest.
If worried it could have been listed this way with the BATF also but like the other posted said why not just spend the $30.00 and get Dad a C&R of his own.
Edited to add, a Staff member's should read up on what he is posting about when it comes to a subject he or she doen't know the answer, rather BATF wrote these laws not myself in this case so if you think they are wrong maybe you should write or call them sir. Further more I do not think it's right to call foul when it's in black and white for all to see if one had done his home work before hand. I understand it takes time to do this but in some cases it should be done before posting.

from the ATF website
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

Quote:
§ 178.50 Locations covered by license. The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:

(a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;
(b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to other persons who are residents of the State where the collector's license is held and the disposition is made.

(c) A licensee may conduct business at a gun show pursuant to the provision of § 178.100; or

(d) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with another licensee at any location pursuant to the provision of § 178.100.

VaFisher said:
Edited to add,(sic) a Staff member's(sic) should read up on what he is posting about when it comes to a subject he or she doen't(sic) know the answer, rather BATF wrote(sic) these laws not myself in this case so if you think they are wrong maybe you should write or call them sir(sic). Further more(sic... oh, I give up. Just "sic" the rest of the dang quote, too.) I do not think it's right to call foul when it's in black and white for all to see if one had done his home work before hand. I understand it takes time to do this but in some cases it should be done before posting.

Mr. Fisher (I presume that is some variant of your name),

I first "read up" on these laws in 1993 when I accepted my first position as the manager of a Type 01 FFL, and have endeavored to remain current on them as it is important to my professional viability to remain so.

If you will please note, the quoted section you so laboriously transcribed says "a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition".

I defy you to convince a court of law that the original poster's father's house is: A) Used solely by the licensee, and B) Used solely for storage. I have some experience in dealing with the BATFE on the topic of storage in an off-premises warehouse (including bonded warehouses for Type 08 SOTs) and I can assure you that "noelf2's dad's house" does not meet the BATFE's requirements.

Please stop handing out bad advice, okay? Do you want to help fellow gun owners go to prison?

This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back