is it dumb for me to carry a P22 as my only ccw?

Graveyards are full of people who thought a .22 couldn't kill them.

Some folks get down right handy with their favorite .22 pistol.

The BEST choice for CCW? We all know it's not. But, I'd sure hate to catch one in a tear duct.

P22- nice little gun too damn unrealiable

I can understand why you'd want to carry a P22. Nice feel, accurate, 10+1, nice and light, etc. Down side, not reliable. I had nothing but problems with mine. Also the gunb showed a lot of wear on the slide after only about 1000 rounds. Not good. I would not want to rely on a P22. Forget the lack of inherent reliability with the gun itself, maybe I had a lemon, but rimfire is less reliable than centerfire. Think about it. I stll think a .38 snubbie is a better choice.

If it works for the Mafia, it should work for you.:D

All you need to do is coerce your BG into the front seat of your Caddy, while you're in the backseat with the .22 muzzle against the back of the BG's head.

Virgil, The same graveyard is filled with people who thought the .22lr was enough gun.

A quick story. A door to door jewelry salesman was outside feeding his rotweiler when a masked man confronted him and demanded to be taken to the gold. After some resistense and getting shot in the leg by this thug the jeweler reluctantly allowed the badguy inside. In the kitchen they confronted the jewelers daughter (the main reason the jeweler didn't want the thug to go inside). The thug now in a lather demands the gold or he will rape and kill the daughter. Momma in the bedroom half asleep had heard the gunshot but thought it was a backfiring car. Now she is wide awake and preparing after hearing the commotion in the kitchen including the threats to her daughter. After grabbing the families 357 mag revolver she positioned herself knowing that the safe was the target. As the thug and husband entered the room, mom confronted the thug who fired hitting mom in the arm and lung with the same 22lr he had shot the jeweler in the leg with. Mom proceeded (after being hit) to shoot the thug in the shoulder (to seperate him from her hunsband she later told my mother). The badguy fell to the floor and mom put the remaining 5 shots into his head.

Could this mom have shot this badguy had she been hit with say a 9mm? We will never know but one can speculate that it would have damaged the arm more severly and penetrated deeper into the chest cavity possibly changing the ability of this mom to shoot straight, fight ect. Bottom line why take the chance if you can shoot larger calibers just as good. There are tons of guns of similar or smaller size that pack a better punch. Several cost the same or just a bit more. Kel-tec p-32,p3at,p-11,kahr cw9,just to name a few.

Wow that's some story. Five rounds to the head after the guy was down. Wow, can't believe she wasn't charged.

Not trying to give you a hard time.

It's not vengence, it's punishment - The Punisher

I would'nt say it is stupid to carry a .22 for a CCW but it IS stupid to post the question on TFL, unless you like "constructive criticism" like many have said, its better than a sharp stick(or a knife) you are protecting your own life, ask yourself the question. If you feel comfortable and confident than what do you care what anybody else has to say....

Wow, after the first two shots to his head, I'm surprised there'd be anything left to put the remaining 3 into :eek:
In my opinion shooting a drug-induced hostile intruder with a 22 would be equivalent to throwing baseballs at a bear....But like I said, thats just my opinion...You have to hear all the horror stories about cop's failing to stop a BG with 357 or 45 JHP's before you begin to realize that people who use 22s for SD either don't miss, or they don't know any better...But I agree that a 22 is DEFINITELY better than nothing.

Better a .22 in your pocket than a .44 mag sitting in your night stand at home, eh?

But I'd also seriously consider saving up and getting something in a larger caliber that can hide just as well, or better.

Yomama, Dude what State do you live in.....pretty tough. This guy shot her and her husband. He was still alive and armed after the shoulder shot. It doesn't say anywhere that to many shots to stop an attack are a nono. She was just shot and in fear for her life, her husbands life and her daughters life. I would have emptied my pistol as well all 15 shots LOL. I would have shot until I thought the threat was over as she did. Btw I heard the story from both victims on two occassions not to mention physically looking at the bullet wounds to her arm and his leg. He walks with a cane now from the nerve damage. If you want to research it here is some info. This happened in the late 80's early 90's. The couples names Manuel and Dania Pendas owners of Pendas jewelry. The dead thug was the son of a family friend.

A plus for the need to train regularly. Both Manuel and Dania made a trip to the range every two weeks. He said that she was a better shot than he. Years later they had another encounter. A thug put a pipe thru the window of their car. Manuel fired one round of 38 special thru the side panel of the car into the badguys lung....he lived....but he stopped and ran. This one happened in Miami.

Back