Is factory refinish detrimental to value?

I have had a number of guns conventionally refinished over the past few years, gradually salvaging guns with smoke and water damage.
Most don't look original but they sure look better than they did after the fire.
Dollar value went from good to nothing to medium-low. But I have the use of them.

"Serious collector" is something subject to definition.
I think Saxon Pig meant the kind of collector who studies his field and pays for originality in the best available condition. I remember when the nice Colts, Winchesters, and Lugers had retreated into museums and big collections, leaving the serious student of moderate means with guns advertised as having "10% original finish in protected areas."
That process is well under way in other areas, giving us the $2000 army surplus 1911 and the discovery of low production variants of the Mosin Nagant. One big difference is that the buyers are not as serious students as they used to be and there are some egregious fakes being sold.

But there are also people buying guns who want them to be unusual or scarce and to look nice as well, even if that means "restoration." The intellectual collectors look down their noses at such people and the gunsmiths they do business with, but they are paying serious money which is just as good as the students', good enough to support Mr Turnbull, several other high end restorers, and a bunch of shops of moderate to dismal ability.

From the op:

I ask because I have a S&W or two that do not have bad finishes but I have considered having them restored to like new by S&W. Am I throwing away money if I do this?

What guns are you considering having redone, how old are they and what is their condition?

tipoc

It ought not affect the value of a shooter grade gun

Refinishing will help protect the firearm and probably bring it back up to the value of a similar gun that didn't get abused.

What guns are you considering having redone, how old are they and what is their condition?

The two I am thinking of now are both nickel a Mod 29-2 8 & 3/8" and a Mod 19-2 4" but I have others that I might look at later. Most are similar vintage N frames. Neither one of them are in bad shape. It is mostly that even a little nickel wear looks much worse, to me, than moderate wear on a blued gun.

Nickel does look worse when worn.

Bottom line: Your guns, your money, your decision.

Me? Well, look at some of my guns. I got them cheap due to condition. They work fine and spending money to refinish would be a loser. A couple of them were purchased for less than what it would cost to refinish them.

The Trooper is the only one of the blued guns I don't know for sure is an ex cop revolver. It may be. They all developed "character" through honest use. To me, it's a part of their charm. The appearance is a part of their story.

The Cobra is nickel plated and it's peeling badly in spots. But it's not new, and it will never be new again. I just shoot it or carry it and don't fret about it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

In the case of a model 29-2 or the 19-2 ....yes, if you have them refinished, to collectors it will significantly decrease the value / to shooter collectors, if S&W does the work - not so much.

But they're your guns...you should do what you want with them...

Typically - in the 29-2's or the 19-2's ..in nickel, they show much less wear than the blued versions ( especially holster wear ).....I have nickel versions of both of the models discussed ...and 27's...and none of them show any holster wear...where my blued versions in all three models, show quite a bit of holster wear even with moderate use.

Back