is claiming that a manufacturer is overrated such a horrible offense?

Most American firearm companies have changed owners several times in the past 10 years or so. Very few are still "wholly American" anymore. Lot of 'em have been marketing based on the name for longer than that too. Makes a lot of 'em overrated. High retail prices for essentially the same thing as the others based solely on the name.
"...the loudest opinions are..." Opinions are like.....everybody has one. And if you want to start a fight, anywhere, any time, state your opinion on anything. snicker.

Rating of any kind implies a personal opinion and few people enjoy that opinion being called into question.

As with pursuits where the practitioners are passionate about it such as shooting, cars and motorcycling etc people start to invest personally in what they want/buy.
It's almost an extension of themselves and so if you slag it off, you're essentially slagging them off. At least that is how it feels to some.

So, is it a horrible offence? Clearly, it shouldn't be.
Is it a surprise that some people go edgy? Sadly, no...

Just about every major manufacturer has made a few lemons over the years. While folks tend to accept lemons when they hear certain manufacturer names, they tend to think those brand names that are household names, should always be perfect. In real life, that ain't possible. I understand how someone that has lusted and saved for a upper end firearm and then gets one of those lemons, can be bitter. I don't understand tho, why some folks think that their model/brand is the best for everyone else and get so upset when told it's not.

What I see happening the most when it comes to many discussions on internet forums is that folks tend to think that by bashing another posters choice or opinion, it somehow helps to validate theirs. I try to stay away from Fanboy threads and those that bash particular models or brands. At my age, I don't need to justify my choices of firearms or ammo to anyone but myself. Folks that want others to respect their choices/opinions, have to do the same to others.

Well, how are people supposed to get honest opinions, if opinions aren't sometimes negative?

Getting angry about negative reviews is about as stupid as booing the opposing team when then run onto the field... Honestly, if the opposing team weren't here, you wouldn't even have a game to watch.

People...

In my opinion: NO

Some manufacturers are regarded as the BMW's and Mercedes of the gun world. But they are also known for being a pain to deal with when one of their products does not perform properly. Their customer service sucks and they DO NOT CARE what you think.

Some manufacturers are regarded as the Ford's and Chevy's of the gun world. Though their products are generally well regarded they are what they are..price point is what it is. However, they are generally well regarded for their customer service and some extremely well regarded for trying to make right a product that does not perform. But if you are expecting Ferarri performance...you are on the wrong car lot.

Then you have the custom guns. You pay more to a hell of a lot more for a product....you expect it to be correct...period. If it isn't and they give you ANY grief about making it right they deserve to be lambasted. It should have never left the shop in the first place. If I drop 50k on an O/U and the top barrel prints 1 foot high and 6 inches to the right of the bottom barrel... they sent me a lemon. My Ferarri had better not handle like a loaded pick up truck.

Part of the problem is that brand loyalty is kind of like the old Ford / Chevy arguement. Some people will defend their brand to the end and not even consider anything else. Even IF you ended up with a Pinto or Chevette.

If you want to say the gun you own and use is of lesser quality, go right ahead. You have personal, empiric knowledge of that.

When you extrapolate that into blanket condemnation of the entire make, model, and manufactory, you're just spouting off.

Personally, I'm a Sig Sauer guy. I love my p320, and I've shot other Sigs and enjoyed shooting them and as I expand my gun collection I imagine a lot of what I add will be of the same brand.

I've shot plenty of Glocks, and I personally don care for them. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, I just don't. I have a friend who has two Glocks that he has essentially gutted and replaced most every part of it with something aftermarket. He's not a competitive shooter or anything of the sort, he carries both as CC guns. They're essentially just Glock shells, but to each his own.

But when you say you don't like what someone else does, people take it as a personal jab at them. Maybe you shot a lemon. Maybe you're like me and you can't pinpoint what it was that you specifically didn't like you just know you didn't like it.

I rib my buddy about his two quite modified Glocks. I ask him - "why spend all that money on a Glock if you're going to just replace it all with aftermarket parts? Gun can't be that great to begin with!" He just tells me to shut up and calls me a "Sig Snob," then we laugh and go on with whatever we were doing. Unfortunately, not everyone can take a joke, and even fewer people can take the fact that. It everyone likes what they like.

What I find most helpful in any review is when someone owns something, has had time to really, truly use it, and is able to report specifically on the nuances of it, both good and bad but perhaps MORE... the bad.

If someone reports on a gun and can specifically point out the things they don't care for, things that don't inspire confidence, the things that otherwise shouldn't be that way and STILL, they like the firearm and are satisfied with it, it gives me possible clues to deficits that I may run in to and have to deal with also.

I feel like I have a slight leg-up rather than going in blind.

Perhaps the least helpful reviews are the ones written up by the excited new owner that has pined & dreamed over his new purchase and has done six months of research and dreaming and is bursting to share his new baby with the world. Often a fun thread... but not all too "helpful" it seems.

Sevens has a great assessment.

I'm from both sides of the information spectrum; before the Internet revolution and after. So I've gotten my information the old school methods from libraries and publications. It's better now, if you're careful.

I started life as a teenage amusement park ride technician (scary thought now days). While in the army I took advantage of educational programs and became a certified auto mechanic, then truck mechanic and moved into heavy equipment. I then went to school for industrial automation, I then entered that field. Now I teach my craft.

Internet forums, feedback and reviews can be valuable. You can pick out trends. Say you buy a 2005 car of a particular make. You can research this type of used vehicle in forums and such to get an idea of failures unique to that vehicle. You can now perform some predictive repairs, or at least monitor components known to fail on this car. It has served me well and I've never been surprised by breakdowns. I typically get near or over 300k miles before I switch vehicles.

I see trends with certain guns or gun parts as well.

Back