is anyone else at scotusblog right now?

The Court has released the opinion in Chamber of Commerce v. Brown (06-939), on whether federal labor law preempts a California statute barring employers from using state money to influence union organizing campaigns. The ruling below, which upheld the state law, is reversed and remanded.

That's it for today.

10 decisions remain for the term. Two decisions from March remain (Heller is among those two).

As one of their bigger decisions could they be holding this for last, allowing them to flee the capital... (not due to hostilities but to just avoid the questions to follow)

The SCOTUS is unlike the two other branches of government. SCOTUS rulings have nothing to do with public opinion, nothing is leaked and they will not be hurried.

Hope they release Heller soon; the suspense is killing me.

But they can still want to avoid dealing with the hounding of the press. Getting out of town for the summer 5 minutes after the final decision likely to draw the greatest uproar (either way) might seem like a good idea.

Getting out of town for the summer 5 minutes after the final decision likely to draw the greatest uproar (either way) might seem like a good idea.

Indeed it is a good idea, especially with the anti-gun east coast media waiting with baited breath for this decision.

Monday the 23rd is the end of the regular session.

So what does that mean for the decision? It's 5pm on the 19th so does that mean they might reveal it on Friday or is Monday the last day it might be released?

I'm imagining a scenario where the ruling goes in favor of 2A rights.

Those crazy Brady people and such will go stalking the Justices to protest that their ruling will lead to "blood in the streets" or simple arguments into "rampage massacres." There will be picketing outside the residences of Alito, Roberts, Scalia, etc. The justices will feel that their lives are in danger. They'll need CCW.

"Whew."

I think the Justices already have CCW by virtue of their positions within the government. I could be wrong about that. Maybe they do need a permit. But will the city of Washington give them one? Are they exempt from the handgun ban? Inquiring minds want to know.

Back