Is ammo availabilty getting better yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seriously contemplating the idea of selling most of my guns for the simple fact that I haven't shot them in over a year! They are simply sitting in a safe collecting dust. Inflation is here to stay folks and unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays. I can't afford to shoot up what I have stashed for fears of not being able to replenish.
I will keep a few around but most will go...I will keep a 12g pump, AR-15, .22 rifle, 357 mag gp100, Hk usp 40, Sig p220.

You are right, and 40 to 45% of the ammunition sold in the US is Russian!!
Yep, My gosh, I shot a ton of 9mm Wolf, Tula in the past. The Firearm industry is under attack. A cabal of Lawsuits in the US, Mexico and now Import restrictions from Russia. (ammo not Vodka). Top it off with de-funding the police, historical rising crime, and on and on and on. Now new Terrorism threats will be coming. (not the standard domestic variety that has destroyed billions of dollars across the us, and of course there will be more of those.)
No, I will Not be buying any new guns. Ammo is high now. Posters were saying it is going to go down. Sorry, Now with the Russian restrictions, get ready for another shortage and a huge price increase. And to think what it will be like in 3 years? Just a matter of time before they shut down everything to do with this sport.

ALL PART OF THE PLAN TO DESTROY THE 2A rights.

Yesterday I stopped by what is locally billed as the world's largest gun store-- and it may well be as they took over a former major supermarket building a few years ago.

The good news is I saw ammo and component shelves that not too long ago were bare now starting to fill with product. Not everything you're looking for but enough so you could go shooting. The bad news was prices-- mostly yowza!.

Same general inventory situation at their long-- and I mean long-- gun counters. Increased stock-- up to maybe 30-40% of what was there a couple of years ago- but mostly punishing prices.

But a few months ago the count was more like 10% (all my eyeball estimates). Several of the counters had been closed off and blocked as the case shelves and gun racks were empty. Yesterday, only one counter was empty/closed off.

Adventure Outdoors? I stopped again in recently while visiting family in Smyrna. Picked up a 15 round mag for sig 365X.

This was early July, but I couldn’t find anything else I needed. They did have some firearm inventory but no ammo or components I needed.

I am seriously contemplating the idea of selling most of my guns for the simple fact that I haven't shot them in over a year! They are simply sitting in a safe collecting dust. Inflation is here to stay folks and unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays. I can't afford to shoot up what I have stashed for fears of not being able to replenish.
I will keep a few around but most will go...I will keep a 12g pump, AR-15, .22 rifle, 357 mag gp100, Hk usp 40, Sig p220.
<<unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays>>

Yes, this is what they want, they want it to be something that only the elite do, like it is in Europe (where I am from).

Personally I am beginning to think 22.cal is the NEW 9mm in terms of frequency I have been accustomed to. It appears the only real shooting I will be doing with 9mm/380 will be just to try and make sure skills have not deteriorated to any significant level. Hopefully the 22. cal pistols will keep up the skills. And I agree, I need to get rid of quite a number of my pistols. Get it down to just a couple for carry and one home defense.

Last edited:
Ammo is a bit more plentiful in Phoenix area. 9 mm, 40 S&W and .45 are available. But .380 and .223 are scarce.

I was in Sportsmans in Show Low Az and they had some ammo in several popular calibers, including 308. They also had components, but no powder.

Bought two boxes of 30.06 ammo from Walmart for under $20 per box and one box of AA 12 GA for $8. They had a bunch of 20 GA and 300 Win Mag still on shelf, but nothing else.

Yesterday I went to a box store in western Pa. I was surprised by the mostly full shelves . Seemed like most calibers except .22.

Prices were about double what they were before.

I picked up 2 boxes of Federal 45 acp for $36.99 each . OUCH

Paid $70 for a 200 round box of WW 9mm 115 grain FMJ two weeks ago a local store. Blazer aluminum was $15 a box. Even .380 Blazer Brass showing up at $27 a box. Not pre 2020 pricing but better. Lead .38 Special ammo is very difficult to find but it was not exactly cheap in 2019, WW and Federal WC and SWC loads were over $30 a box then. I did see some Federal 158 RN lead for $29.99 last week.

Decent hunting caliber rifle ammo is very expensive when you can find it, that would push me to hand load if I still hunted.

Updating Post #22 From 1 August

Stopped by that same gun store today: Noticeably more guns and ammo-- but y'all better bring plenty of money!

Paid $70 for a 200 round box of WW 9mm 115 grain FMJ two weeks ago a local store. Blazer aluminum was $15 a box. Even .380 Blazer Brass showing up at $27 a box. Not pre 2020 pricing but better. Lead .38 Special ammo is very difficult to find but it was not exactly cheap in 2019, WW and Federal WC and SWC loads were over $30 a box then. I did see some Federal 158 RN lead for $29.99 last week.

Decent hunting caliber rifle ammo is very expensive when you can find it, that would push me to hand load if I still hunted.
We'll most people who do hunt probably have a decent stockpile for their rifles, but I would think hunting this year is largely going to bemuzzleloader and shotgun, maybe handgun.

As to the prices you paid for 9mm, when this is all over I don't want to hear from anyone complaining about how they stick with 9mm at $15 a box (that will be the new normal) because .32, .40, 10mm, etc. all cost a few bucks more a box. 2 years ago all those calibers cost $18 a box (online) and people cited that as the reason they shoot 9mm and now I see people paying that price and even more for 9mm now.

I live in central Washington state east of the Cascades.

Our local gun stores now have quite a wide selection of pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammunition in stock - a change from 60 days ago, when shelves were mostly bare.

But as stated above, prices have largely remained very high. On one hand it may still be a matter of supply not keeping up with demand.

But on the other, eggs, chicken, tuna, and other baseline groceries are amazingly high right now also. Can't find rubber tires for motorcycles at all, and if you can, those prices are sky high too.

So it could be that the cost of components and so forth will be keeping ammunition prices very high for the foreseeable future - regardless of how much of it is available.

I live in central Washington state east of the Cascades.

Our local gun stores now have quite a wide selection of pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammunition in stock - a change from 60 days ago, when shelves were mostly bare.

But as stated above, prices have largely remained very high. On one hand it may still be a matter of supply not keeping up with demand.

But on the other, eggs, chicken, tuna, and other baseline groceries are amazingly high right now also. Can't find rubber tires for motorcycles at all, and if you can, those prices are sky high too.

So it could be that the cost of components and so forth will be keeping ammunition prices very high for the foreseeable future - regardless of how much of it is available.
1 thing has nothing to with supply and demand.

BEFORE the planned DEM panic, diesel was $1.89
Now, diesel is $3.09

Shipping ost to receive raw materials UP (almost double)
Shipping cost to deliver goods UP

Without supply and issues, those costs would be passed on.
Increase and or suspected increase in taxes added on.
Imminent minimum wage increase added on

Prices will not return UNLESS sanity returns

As clearly the most liberal person on this forum, I assure you, a lot of this sounds bonkers.

No offense.

But from my side, I can back up where the problem is coming from with data (ie, it's Vista, a US monopoly of ammo)

As clearly the most liberal person on this forum, I assure you, a lot of this sounds bonkers.

No offense.

But from my side, I can back up where the problem is coming from with data (ie, it's Vista, a US monopoly of ammo)

I disagree that Vista is the problem, based on my own experience. Through all of this some of the cheapest ammunition I have bought has been Vista in origin. A few months ago I bought two cases of Blazer Brass 9mm for $280. This was a new shipment to the store, multiple pallets with no limits and it all sold for that price. I’ve also bought American Eagle at moderate prices, or at least as cheap as any of the Ruag/Norma/S&B I’ve also purchased. I can go on Ammoseek right now and it’s not as if all of the cheapest brass cased 9mm is foreign made or that the Vista produced ammunition is significantly more expensive (Blazer is often one of the cheaper options).

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger?ca=brass&co=new

There has been a large quantity of Belom and Igman and other Serbian and Bosnian ammunition at lower prices than American manufactured ammunition, but these were always priced lower even before the panic. If anything that price savings on Serbian/Bosnian ammunition seems to have decreased from what it was in terms of percentages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can't in one beat say globally traded raw goods cost more and then in the other say it's a conspiracy in America.

Winchester is exporting the majority of their ammo to Australia right now.

There isn't enough CAPACITY in one year time to meet demand.

Russian ammo in 9mm, how popular was it in your inventory? Like truly.

But...since it's gun related it's a conspiracy. But no a single person has said it was conspiracy that the same thing happened in the car market.

Oh well.

You can't in one beat say globally traded raw goods cost more and then in the other say it's a conspiracy in America.

Winchester is exporting the majority of their ammo to Australia right now.

There isn't enough CAPACITY in one year time to meet demand.

Russian ammo in 9mm, how popular was it in your inventory? Like truly.

But...since it's gun related it's a conspiracy. But no a single person has said it was conspiracy that the same thing happened in the car market.

Oh well.

I have never stated there is a conspiracy, so I’m not sure to whom this comment is directed (that it directly follows my comment which was a response to your comment seems to suggest this is in response to something I said, which again isn’t the case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received yesterday 20 boxes of Norma 124gr for $380 from Swiss based Ruag Ammoshoponline.com and 20 boxes of AE 124gr 9mm for $400 from Locked and Loaded. All of which I will shoot presently.

The truth is simple, ammo buyers, only in America, are hoarding. Domestic can't keep up with demand and raised prices far exceeding material costs they are using as justification. There isn't a law against that, but in forums, this just has to be a conspiracy.

It is 100% fact that the ammo shortage is a US problem only. It is 100% fact that material costs have no where near met justification for increased pricing in the US. Additionally, relatively junk brass 124gr PPU sub Belom is going for US prices? What about South Korea?

-PMC in all calibers has been 100% available this whole time. Even in 357mag.
-Fiocchi non US made has been available 100% of the time.
-Mexico made Aguila has been around a lot.
-PPU/Belom has been 100% around this whole time.

You can't tell me private company based in Switzerland, Ruag, is importing Swiss made GOOD ammo, made in more expensive everything/more socialized Switzerland, shipped to the US, and make a profit when US AE retailis bought at a higher price is just covering cost.

That doesn't square with any of the smallest fragments of reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back