is accidental open sight of concealed carry still illegal in FL?

Stringer

Did that ever pass? Whats going on with that. I dont know if it's legal for the wind to blow my shirt up accidentally, or it's a still a third degree misdemeaner. I was beifly exposed when I bent down for bread and 2 ppl noticed. I didn't know were to say "screw it", or tear the license plate off my truck and haul butt outt there. :confused:

It was presented to the governor a couple of days ago. If I recall, he has 15 days to either sign, veto, or ignore and let it become law automatically. Lots of hard feelings about this bill over on the Florida Shooters Network.

they have made or are making it illegal to open carry in FL? Seems to me that's a little backwards, from a paranoid state of mind, or is it simply 'out of sight, out of mind'?

No open carry in FL, your weapon must be concealed at all times. No one better be able to call the cops, say you have a gun and be able to describe it and its location on your body. Its a responsibility that comes with the license.

Being from Texas, I appreciate Florida's CCW laws better. Texas businesses have the right to place signs "no weapons" and you can't concealed carry there, even with a license. Has this changed? Now, that made no sense to me, but I obeyed the law.

they have made or are making it illegal to open carry in FL?
It's been illegal for awhile. The new law, should Scott sign it, means that someone can't be prosecuted for "inadvertent" exposure.

I have zero problems with a law that states keep a concealed weapon concealed. With modern IWB and pocket carry options there is no excuse for not doing so.

I do however wish a change would come as to where we can & can't carry, except in government building of course-understood. but I should be able to carry at my kids sporting event, where only bad guy or a cop presently can.

All in all though, i'm peased with Floridas efforts at CCW laws, they are better than many other states.

I have zero problems with a law that states keep a concealed weapon concealed. With modern IWB and pocket carry options there is no excuse for not doing so.

I humbly disagree with this ideology. Any pistol or weapon in a pocket or other deep concealment is only for the peace of mind of the carrier. As it would be nearly impossible to deploy said weapon, when needed, in a timely manner and without drawing attention to yourself. If you are surprised by an attacker, milliseconds count!
I carry a .45 in a OWB paddle-type level 2 holster with a shirt over it. I have practiced and practiced and there is only a fraction of a second between this mode's presentation and full open carry's.
A BUG in my pocket or pinched IWB adds from almost a full second to nearly 3 seconds to my presentation time.
This knowledge of my reaction times enhances my peace of mind when carrying. If I had to ensure total concealment, it would not only hinder my reaction time, but my confidence as well.

Carry, I am even a tougher customer and while I understand what this law may do for the CCW carrier... It does nothing to help me... I just cannot carry concealed.

I wear pull over shirts nearly exclusively... I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear it tucked in my britches with a belt on. Where does "IWB" fit in for me? How about the fact that I am a TRUE Floridian and have NO A/C in my home or rides! A ceiling fan is my best friend.

So how is my polished blued finish metal with walnut grips going to look after just one week of contact with my salty sweat?

And what about the fact that I do not consider these sub caliber little dinky girlie guns when I am shopping for hand guns? For rimless I only consider the .40 to be some what comforting and prefer the .45.

As for gun frames and barrels, I only look at full size frames with a 4 inch or longer barrel... Not too many guns in that range are considered "easily concealable" or "pocket/mouse/bug" guns.

When they lift the ban on open carry, I will pay what ever fee I must to have the needed "papers" to do so. Until then, I will continue to carry a Buck 110 both in a pocket and on my belt or my leatherman that is also ALWAYS on my belt.

Brent

hogdowgs,

IMHO you need to look at the small glocks, as they will resist sweat and still pack a punch... Glock 26 ( 10 =1 of 9mm / .355) and Glock 30 ( 10+1 of .45acp) come to mind.

Does not look like we will have OC in FL any time soon.:(

Some guys just don't get it.

I was raised to wear pants that fit! There is no room for an IWB holster, and when I bought a pair of pants too big to try IWB, it wouldn't stay put. It got full of moisture and sweat. Caused my slide to condensate. Plus the uncomfort of baggy britches and a pistol in my side all the time.
A big guy in Florida, in the summer, who is outdoors frequently, has enough to worry about, when it comes to health and wardrobe.
Perhaps IWB just isn't for EVERYONE.

Goofy-foot; understood. I too do not like IWB carry, I prefer to carry my LCP in my pocket more than any other carry. Some don't like the .380 ACP, but I carry it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense with total confidence.

I reserve IWB for when I just really want to carry my Walther PPS 9mm. My Commander 1911 is mostly for home, my LCR is for coat pockets and the truck. When I wear something especially difficult to carry, my Pug .22 mag is somewhere on me.

I have no problem with small guns, as long as I have one.

Believe me, your particular situation is understood and respected.

I understand, Carry, and my last comments weren't specifically aimed at anyone, and definitely not you. You seem to be of the philosophy, that I cater to.
I neither condemn nor advocate ANY one way to do anything, and merely want to advise that, folks should do what they feel the most comfortable with, AFTER a good preponderance of the facts.
Any experiences that I can relate to another, can only offer more substance to their thought process. I try to refrain from propagating falsehoods, hearsay, and ill-informed opinions.

Although, if I truly believe in a particular opinion, and have weighed it thoroughly, I may submit it to another with such tact, that it bears significantly on the argument, at hand.
I call it, "Instigation with a Positive Purpose"...:D

IMHO you need to look at the small glocks, as they will resist sweat and still pack a punch... Glock 26 ( 10 =1 of 9mm / .355) and Glock 30 ( 10+1 of .45acp) come to mind.

Does not look like we will have OC in FL any time soon
Them plastic Gleeks don't come in polished blued finish with walnut grips...

I don't need to carry a gun bad enough to lower my standards in what I consider a suitable firearm.

I can wait until OC is legal or I will just continue to rely on my other faculties and available means of lethal force.

I just don't see this meat hook of mine wrapped around them import plastic guns. No offense meant for those who like them or even settle for them... I just buy certain ways and polished rich bluing and walnut for handguns, rifles and shotguns... No plastic, unpolished matte blue or even parkerized for me.

I almost fell for the XD-40 thenI got my class back when junior went runnin' thru the house with one of his plastic toy guns with the removed orange muzzle.

Brent

Back