Is a new Taurus model 85 worth buying?

moosemike

My LGS put their new Taurus 85's in .38 Spl on sale for $250. Really an attractive price on a good lucking gun. I've heard a lot of bad about Taurus revolvers though and am leery. Should I be?

I picked up one last year during their rebate, got the stainless model for about 160AR
I like it.. Nice little snubbie 38.

It's probably worth the 250 but you might look at S&W I think I seen some J-frames going for 300-320ish recently.

I would not buy the black model.. older ones use to be a nice polished blue, but they've switched to this matte black finish that looks like crap and I hear is not very durable.

They've been making the 85 for a really long time.

A few years ago Taurus tried to update their image, did some cosmetic changes to some of their guns and from what I heard was trying to up their quality control. With that being said I bought a used black 85 from a friend who could not shoot it verry well due to his vision problems, I haven't shot it yet but it function checks good so far, we will see come range time if this gun is better than the others I had. I'm not a big fan of Taurus firearms due to having to use their warranty on all 4 of their guns I use to own but I guess we will see. If I had my rathers I would lean towards a S&W or Ruger. Good luck with your decision.

I bought a Taurus 85CH several years ago but seldom use it. I took it out the other day shooting with the fiancé and remembered why. It spits lead out the side of the forcing cone since it's lockup leaves something to be desired. Oh well, that'll learn me for not buying a Smith, or a Ruger or even a Colt. It does have a date with a trade-in on a Smith and Wesson 642 one of these days though.

Transfer bars tend to break. Taurus is aware of it but won't change metallurgy or any heat treating process. I rather buy Ruger or S&W.

I purchased a Taurus 455 , 45 acp revolver in 2004....nothing but good things to say about it. I own several 1911's and the Taurus revolver is the most accurate .
2 inch ported barrel and 5 shot cylinder makes for a powerhouse small package snub nosed revolver. Wished I had bought two now.
Don't believe all the bad mouthing you hear about Taurus.
Gary

As most of us know,,,,Taurus is very hit or miss when it comes to a good gun.....

I would never buy a Taurus Semi-auto......But love my Taurus Raging Bull .454

I think their track record is pretty spotty .... I'd be very suspicious of them.

( sometimes, in fact often, you get what you pay for ). Rather than go that route, I'd look for some good used S&W's in .38 spl if that's what you want / although personally I prefer a revolver chambered in .357 Mag...so I have the option to shoot .38 spl or .357 Mag in it.

Taurus bad deal

I bought a model 85 stainless steel 38 special in November and took it to the range in December. I shot it 5 times using 130gr Winchester standard pressure ammo. On the 5th shot the barrel flew off. With the Taurus you pay your money and take your chances. The gun was sent in on Dec 18th and not back yet. Just my experience.

wow, I'd love to have seen the aftermath.. any idea what happen? I'd say out of timing but if it was off by that much I wouldn't think the primer would be inline to ignite.. and minor alignment problems are the job of the force cone..

did the barrel just sheer off at the threads? mfg defect?

They had to shut the range down to go the bullet get the barrel out of the bullet stopping material. The barrel was cracked down close to where it screwed in. I believe it was in the torqueing. The store manager said he thought I would get a new gun. I will probably trade for a smith with what ever I get back. Mine by the way was not a light weight.

I have had a few 85's and 605's. .. All worked well .. better trigger out of the box than 642 & 637 ...

I like'em , but..... add a 100.00 bill and get a LCR 38 ... Great little revolver !

BTW, I know some 'smiths who will not touch a Taurus.

As we said in gunsmithing school (at least in my class), "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus." Get a Smith or a Ruger. They'll last longer.

I've owned one. It shot well when it functioned. Unfortunately, it stopped functioning after 250 rounds or so.

For the money, you are much better off with a S&W or a Ruger.

Back