Is a defense shotgun worth buying for a budget minded person?

Almost any factory load available in a 20ga has a similar cheaper load available in a 12ga.

The 20 GA can launch slugs at a flatter trajectory to longer ranges.

The 20 GA can launch slugs at a flatter trajectory to longer ranges.
Really?!?! Hmmm... seems counter intuitive. I'd like to see that backed up.

Dreaming does have a valid point about the 20ga. With todays ammo, a 20ga will do just as well as a 12ga with less recoil.
Another point that really needs to be backed up. The 12 ga can be tamed down with low-recoil ammo and still deliver larger/more shot. It's also generally fired from a heavier shotgun frame, which tames recoil inherently.

Earlier in the thread someone said short barrels are pointless for most people and I would have to disagree, I'm not saying a longer barreled gun won't work but the short barrel definitely makes the weapon more handy in close quarters. Used mossberg/remingtons are cheap and easily found at any shop. I would be grabbing my mossberg 590 before I grab the 835 or browning auto 5 and I have lived in some extremely small apartments. I also think it's silly to say a light isn't important and I would have to argue a good light might be as important as the weapon itself. You have to make sure you identify your target before you pull that trigger! My 835 is set up for coyote hunting and I can shoot out to 70 feet so I wouldn't worry about range on a SD shotgun. I love shotguns and would go with a mossberg or remington combo. I prefer mossbergs over remingtons due to the location of the slide release.

Also, if your shotgun I's going to be used primarily for self defense I wouldn't put a sling on it and I prefer to put extra shells in a pocket. I'm not a fan of heat shields so I took mine off although it has prevented me from getting dents/scratchs on the barrel. My 590 has a bead sight and I would like to upgrade to a ghost ring sight.

Last edited:
I'd like to see that backed up.
Its been a few years, but when I was buying my last shotgun I looked at factory saboted rounds available for deer in Ohio. several of the 20 ga offerings were flatter than what I could find in 12 ga. Lighter smaller caliber slugs for sure, but moving faster with a flatter trajectory.
Could just reflect the factory loads available. I went with the 12 ga because the breadth of factory loads available and ended up shooting the Hornady SST slugs for deer. Recoil isn't bad for taking down a deer, but zeroing the sights the first time, a dozen or two rounds from 25 to 100 yards off the bench, was unpleasant.

Back