Is .22 Cal the Best for Handgun Training?

Let me further explain what I said earlier in the thread. For a NEW shooter, I think a .22 pistol can be a valuable training tool. For an experienced shooter, it may still aid technique, but for me personally I find it can hamper my centerfire shooting it I just shoot .22 without alternating to larger calibers during a range session.

Get the .22's.

It's all about money,,,

I shoot a lot of .22 because that's what I can afford to shoot the most of.

If I were a rich man I would shoot much more 9mm and .38 special.

I own several "pairs" of guns,,,
Such as my Model 15 in .38 Special,,,
And my Model 18 which is chambered for 22 LR.

The guns are identical except for the cartridge,,,
Except for the recoil factor they shoot much the same.

My typical routine (before the rimfire ammo shortage) was 50 rounds of rimfire,,,
Followed by one or two cylinders of centerfire ammo,,,
Repeat as often as desired.

There is no definitive answer to your question,,,
I feel that shooting a lot (even with the measly rimfire cartridge),,,
Has mad me a better shot than if I would have shot the same money in centerfire only.

Other people say that you should only practice with your main caliber,,,
They believe the recoil is very important for consistency,,,
I don't think either side can claim to be "right".

Can you afford for her to practice enough with a .380,,,
So that she has confidence in her abilities?

If so there isn't a problem,,,
Wear that .380 out.

If cash is limited,,,
You might consider a .22 for her.

Make your decision on what you think is feasible,,,
Not what we Internet experts say. ;)

Aarond

Make sure - both your training - and her training are fun !! Shake up the routine....set up an interesting course of fire ( some reloads, etc )...and put some stress into it with a shot timer.

I agree with the sentiment that whatever it takes to get you both to the range more often, is good....is it the best, maybe not .../ but its hard to argue that a .22 is bad for your training - especially if the .22 has a similar manual of arms.

Some guns have .22 conversion kits...where you use the same lower frame and change the slide ...it isn't perfect either ( weight is different, recoil, etc...) but if you can't afford to train with the .380 ...( or the 9mm, or .45 acp or whatever ) its another option.
---------------
But many of us carry larger calibers ...( like .40S&W or .45 acp ) and we train with the same identical gun in 9mm as an example - for roughly 1/2 to 2/3's of the cost ...../ but yes, I'd use the .22 if that was the least expensive option ...and dry firing...or whatever....

Reloading, if you like it, is another way to stretch your ammo budget ...and shoot 3 times more with the same ammo budget....( plus I like reloading as part of the hobby )....

I got a 22/45 and I love it but I ended up getting a conversion for my 1911, its great to practice with the gun Im practicing for!
Finding ammo is still a problem :( BUT I got an airsoft gun (I know) and its the same size weight and function as a real 1911!
Im shooting cardboard challenge in my backyard :cool:

Thank you everyone. Great advice on both sides of the discussion. Thats the way it's always supposed to happen. I appreciate it very much.

You will learn more about your shooting ability with a good .22 LR than anything else. A lot of people shoot at the range, some call it practice, but very few analyze what they do to actually improve. A quality .22 LR can deliver accuracy that is very difficult for any centerfire round to do. With that .22 you can actually improve your shooting ability as it is precise enough to show every flaw and every improvement. Here is a target, shot with iron sights @ 100 yards with a .22 LR. You will pay serious money for a centerfire capable of that accuracy. Recoil is a non-issue for a shooter with good fundamentals. People who learn properly how to shoot can not pick up a pistol for 6 months or more and then go to the range and be at around 95% right out of the box.

SilhouetteTgtwHS_zps4ed8bafb.jpg

I recommend a centerfire handgun with a conversion unit. CZ with their Kadet
unit, the Ciener units when you can find them. Yes, it is the best.

Looks like there are some of us that only shoot to stay sharp with what they carry and then there the ones that enjoy shooting anything. Any type trigger and size firearm . It just don't matter. I had not thought about it till reading some other post. I have SA pistols .22lr and 45, da/a pistols and revovlers in .22lr, 380, 357mag and 44mag. DA and short reset striker fired in 9mm and 40sw and a bolt action handgun. Then there the rifles and shotguns!!

Guess I fit in the group that enjoys shooting for all kind of reasons from just fun, train for carry, and hunting with them . Trigger type never mattered or the firearm size. I know when I can't get to a range I can pull my very first 51 years old 22lr rem bolt rifle out with some cci quiet ammo and have fun in the back yard and not mess with the neighbors.

Starting with a .22 is always best. The .22 does the best job of introducing people to shooting. Low cost, noise, and recoil are important factors when people are just starting out.

Now, someone who already knows how to shoot doesn't get quite as much benefit from the .22 as a complete beginner, but they do get a benefit.

.22s come in three broad types. The smallest, pocket pistols, .22versions of duty class guns, and "sport pistols".

Shooting a .22 version of your carry gun is fine practice. But shooting anything is practice, and making it fun means enjoyment. Enjoyment means eagerness, and eagerness means you will shoot more often.

Think about this, and while not a perfect analogy, there are some parallels..

Every time you get behind the wheel you increase your driving skills. Hundreds of thousands of highway miles does not make you ready for formula 1 racing, but you are a lot closer to being ready than someone who is just starting drivers ed. For you gamers out there, killing an orc as a first level player may get you 100pts. When you're a 15th level elf ninja assassin that exact same orc is only worth 1pt. But you still get 1pt.;)

If the subject shooter does not enjoy shooting whatsoever, but *will* do it because it's the proper training that goes along with defensive carry -- then yeah, buying a .22 pistol might be wasted money. (*or* it might change their mind...)

Beyond that, anyone who tries to argue that .22 pistol shooting will -NOT- improve anyone's shooting... might be clinically diagnosed an absolute fool.

Sights on target?
Squeezing trigger?
Landing shots?!

This will IMPROVE your skill at shooting ---ANY--- handgun.

They don't need to be a "good shot", if the only reason they are shooting in the first place is because they've agreed -- at someone else's urging -- to be trained to safely employ a handgun for defense.

Sure, more training is better. A -LOT- more. But for many, just getting them to agree to put a handgun in their hands is a tremendous battle.

To shoot well one needs to shoot 200 rounds a week IMO. TO shoot passably enough to CCW one needs to shoot a minimum of 50 rounds a week. That is IMO of course. No science behind it.
That adds up. Throw a few rounds of trap and a few high power matches on top of it and things get pricey fast. Not to mention the related practice for those. 9mm is about $25 a bi-weekly paycheck at that 50 a week point. 22lr is only $4. Quadruple that to low competitive shooter practice levels and the prices really start to separate.

So, I shoot mostly 22lr. It takes me maybe 15000 rounds to get decently familiar with a handgun. That does match up with some studies about muscle memory. After that I don't find I have to practice all that often to get get competent as long as I am keeping the fundamentals sharp with a 22lr. Of course, the closer it is to the centerfire the better. Many popular guns have very close clones.

Back