Iron Sights vs Scope

I HATE traditional scopes, and other than the 1st shot I always shoot terrible when using one. Eye relief, exit pupil, repeatable cheek weld all drive me nuts. Full disclosure, I wear corrective glasses for nearsightedness & astigmatism.

My favorite aiming devices are iron sights (M14, AR, plus Magpul & TROY BUIS) & red dot sights (Aimpoint & EOTech). I can shoot sub MOA groups with a 2 MOA dot @ 100 yards with my M14s, go figure. For some reason I also like long eye relief scout scopes... a new Leupold FireDot is heading my way.

The human eye naturally tends to do the centering without conscious effort.
Whether conscious or not they still have to be lined up.

I HATE traditional scopes, and other than the 1st shot I always shoot terrible when using one. Eye relief, exit pupil, repeatable cheek weld all drive me nuts. Full disclosure, I wear corrective glasses for nearsightedness & astigmatism.
I find that very interesting. Most who wear glasses seem to prefer scopes. Since I started wearing glasses to shoot I have had a lot more trouble with iron sights. To the point I may buy a couple scopes instead of my next pair of glasses.

I wear glasses. Progressive lenses, so I can just tip my head back until the front sight is clear on a hand gun. Not quite the same on a rifle, BUT if I an get the rear sight in the right place on the rifle, its all clear.
I shoot a 50yard offhand match. I usually do better with Irons than a scope. Not so @ 25 yards.

There is a place for both.
David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

The human eye naturally tends to do the centering without conscious effort.
Whether conscious or not they still have to be lined up.
Yes but if it doesn't need to consciously be done, then you don't have to think about it, which is the point - it's faster and easier to use. If you can see the front post through the rear aperature, the bullet will hit where the front post is aimed at. You only have to line up two things: the front post and the target.

What are iron sights?

Actually, I haven't had irons on any centerfire rifle since the first one, about 55 years ago, when I got enough money to buy a scope.

Back