Introducing Stagpanther's "Short Target" tracking method

Bart--my particular gear and shooting style--as mediocre as they might be--I've noticed that even changing the rifle position (particularly elevation) to adjust to the POA can affect the barrel harmonics enough that POI shifts--that's why I sought to test minimizing changes in the actual rifle position. Maybe I'm nuts though.;)
Changes in how you hold the rifle is what changes where bullets strike relative to aim point. The bore axis points to a different place when the bullet leaves. Bullets strike to the right if there is more resistance to recoil to the left. They strike high if the butt is lower in the shoulder

A free floating barrel's muzzle axis resonant and several harmonic frequencies are fixed by its shape, they don't change from shot to shot regardless of hold.

Many folks get better accuracy with rifles shot slung up in an F class prone position compared to a bench rest position. I am one.

Last edited:
A free floating barrel's muzzle axis resonant and several harmonic frequencies are fixed by its shape, they don't change from shot to shot regardless of hold.
I assume you mean regardless in rifle position? For example when raising/lowering the rifle on my bag rests almost always induces a slight shift in POI--and that's entirely due to me personally how I manipulate the rifle?--go ahead, I can take it.:D

I assume you mean regardless in rifle position? For example when raising/lowering the rifle on my bag rests almost always induces a slight shift in POI--and that's entirely due to me personally how I manipulate the rifle?--go ahead, I can take it.:D
Yes.

Best example is shooting slung up in prone, right handed. Move your front elbow on the ground an inch to the left and the next shot will go right.

Another example, several people shooting the same rifle and ammo, each one's sight settings for range zeros will vary up to near 2 MOA across all.

Last edited:
Back